Off the wall...Lost art, Scale Modleing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karsten, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I know 1911's are a labor of Love and pretty and old school deal these days with all the Plastic Fantastic Blocks out there.......

Anyone start out building Plastic Scale Models and still at it all these years later?

Attached Files:

Heretical45, BR549er, Mike A and 4 others like this.
  2. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Forgot this one.

Attached Files:

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
  4. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    My Dad was into military models.
    I blew them up with firecrackers..........

5. dimedog

dimedog Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2017
    As a kid I built model cars and airplanes. Used to launch the model airplanes off the deck laced with firecrackers and always tried to get the timing down to blow in flight. After the exploded parts landed, we would glue them back up and do it again!
    Still have most of the model cars in their boxes in the basement.
    Ironically I am a residential builder as my main profession, and also work as a display operator(pyrotechnician) for a professional fireworks company based here in Michigan.
    Once a pyro always a pyro:grin:

Scaramouche and Kip like this.
  6. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Oh, man - you’ve assembled the dioramas and everything - very cool!

I was really into scale-models as a kid, mostly WW2 vehicles and aircraft though some then-modern cars, too. I can’t say I was very good at it ha-ha, but I was into it. Seems like the Monogram-brand WW2 kits often included a color flyer about building a full diorama, etc.

Scaramouche likes this.
  7. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did model cars and rockets as a kid. Now I just wish I could find the time.

tac45 and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Remember Slot Cars? I was lucky enough to live on Post when the bug bit. Massive tracks with drag tracks & lot's of cheap Jap parts to play with. Rewinding our motors & controllers with a 6 volt battery for power brakes. It was the GIs who got hooked & made all the new discoveries that made Slot Cars so great.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  9. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    I still have a whole set up for it in my spare room. I started about 25 years ago when I was 7 with planes. They mostly met their demise via bb gun or firecrackers and had glue globs. I still do a few tanks when I have time. Here is one I finished a few years ago. On a vignette. If any of you have played World of Tanks you will recognize it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    If I had the room, and the money, I would have a model railroad that would that would be so large and complex that it would literally take hours for trains to reach their scheduled destination. On second thought, if I had the money, I would buy the Cumbres and Toltec railroad in Colorado/New Mexico so I could play on a very large scale.

11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
  12. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Very nice work on the diorama Karsten. Did some tanks and planes with my oldest boy when he was little. He’s 37 now but he still remembers how much fun we had. Doing it well takes skill, patience, and imagination. Looks like you have all of those traits. Keep having fun with it and thanks for posting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted