Officer grip with magwell or full size grip?

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by jcp907, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I have large hands (2xl glove), and I have difficulty with smaller grips. But, the officer frame with a magwell has intrigued me, particularly if the magwell is a little larger than the grip base.

Can anyone share pictures of Officer sized pistols with magwells, and offer opinions regarding the concealability vs just going with a Commander Frame? This might just be an excuse for my next pistol purchase!:thumb:

Thank you in advance!

Jay

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Adding a traditional magwell onto an officer frame will extend it to basically a government/commander frame length.

I can take a reference picture, when I get home.

3. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's a EB KC vs DW CCO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    he's looking for a picture for an officer sized gun with magwell, like my old Kimberly Tactical Ultra against a full size frame.

5. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    I know that, I'm trying to illustrate that w/ a mag well, it will be very similar to a full size.

6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    so you gonna buy my KC? lol

7. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    jcp............Here you go. My S&W PRO with S&A magwell with self-appointed rounded butt. This one goes on my Colt Officers as well............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tw

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  8. Sean MacTavish

Sean MacTavish Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks for the photos and tips

I am buying a Springfield Micro Compact for carry and thought that a magwell might make it just the right length. Not sure S&A, Ed Brown or Fusion, any thoughts ? I also want to install one on my government, thanks.

Attached Files:

9. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks for the input!

Thank you for the reference point! It's helpful.

I realize you probably weren't talking to me, but if you have an officer's for sale...shoot me a link to it!

I'm really liking the looks of your Pro!

From what I can tell the differences are integral to the mainspring housing or not, and whether you can use a mag with a full floor plate (with the front tab), or if you need one without the tab extending forward. Also, some will need more fitting than others. Not sure which those are, though.

I am wondering if there are any out there that are larger than the diameter of the grip that work reasonably well in a concealed application. I am thinking the larger base would feel better with the smaller grip, as opposed to a full sized grip, but haven't found any for sale to hold.

10. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
  11. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Wanna buy the DW CCO? :biggrin1:

12. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks! I'll be looking for an arched MSH with grooves, instead of checkering. I'll probably have to build it or have it built to get what I want, and this may require a weld on magwell which is fine.

13. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I still haven't explained the Sig X5 Purchase to the wife...pm inbound...

14. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Oh, that's a tough combination. GL in the search.

15. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I am just trying to determine if any reliability will be lost with the smaller frame. I have heard of ftf issues, but that sounds like it's more of an issue with barrels <4"

Thanks for the help!

16. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    That's a myth about <4" gun. Frankly, 1911s can run correctly if it was built within specs and tolerance.

I have a 3.5" SA Ultra Compact that has been reliable. The only initial problem was an unpolished feed ramp on the barrel that didn't want to feed JHP. Just some basic work of fine sand paper and polishing compound took care of the problem. And this was basically done early on, and I didn't want to "break-in" the gun w/ FMJ ammo and using them to "polish" the ramp.

17. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Smith & Wesson Pro Series Subcompact - pictured with a Nighthawk T3 magwell and MSH:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jcp907

jcp907 Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Sweet piece! I'm liking the SW Pro!

19. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    That Smith looks good

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted