1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some ignorance looking for education questions about my Officers model, which I have had for 32 years.
What weight recoil springs come form the factory? (and what is the difference between main spring and recoil spring?)
I just replaced mine with 22# wollf single spring kit. It seems to work fine, (Just factory loads)
I did not replace the firing pin spring that came with it. Not sure how, or if I need to. This gun has only had about 5-550 rounds through it since I bought it, probably a bit less.
Last question: what cartridge do people prefer to use in this for home defense? 185 grain? 230 grain? ball? JHP?
Appreciate any help

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
Home defense? Ball NO, JHP yes. Number of choices for Jacketed Hollow Points.

The Officers models do need to have the recoil Springs changed regularly, so buy more than one to have around when you need one. Yes 22 lbs is fine in my experience.

If you want to shoot regularly, I'd suggest another pistol. Just shoot the OM as much as you need to stay proficient with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Recoil springs should be changed every 500 rounds in a Officers. Lack of slide weight and mass the recoil spring is called on to do a lot. The Wolff kit to fit the factory guide rod is what I use. There are you tube videos on how to change the firing pin spring. Good idea to clean the extractor and firing pin tunnels with q tips with some solvent on them and wipe down the firing pin and extractor while you have them out. The front recoil spring plug has a tab that is known to break. So I suggest buying the Clark Custom plug. It has a lip that supports it and eliminates the problem. It’s a drop in part. As for ammo , hollow points are preferable for self defense. But with the short barrel I don’t know if you are going to get consistent expansion. Something like Speer gold dot short barrel loads or Hornady maximum defense ammo may be a good choice. Check for reliablabilty in your gun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recoil springs should be changed every 500 rounds in a Officers. Lack of slide weight and mass the recoil spring is called on to do a lot. The Wolff kit to fit the factory guide rod is what I use. There are you tube videos on how to change the firing pin spring. Good idea to clean the extractor and firing pin tunnels with q tips with some solvent on them and wipe down the firing pin and extractor while you have them out. The front recoil spring plug has a tab that is known to break. So I suggest buying the Clark Custom plug. It has a lip that supports it and eliminates the problem. It’s a drop in part. As for ammo , hollow points are preferable for self defense. But with the short barrel I don’t know if you are going to get consistent expansion. Something like Speer gold dot short barrel loads or Hornady maximum defense ammo may be a good choice. Check for reliablabilty in your gun.
Seems like a lot of recoil spring changes. I have had this gun since new, 1989, and never changed it. I have not shot it a lot though. Just put in the Wolff 22 lbs single spring. Shot one mag through with different loads and all worked ok. One empty shell hit me on the head, but the rest seemed to exit ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PS welcome from beautiful BF Egypt!

View attachment 809444
Home defense? Ball NO, JHP yes. Number of choices for Jacketed Hollow Points.

The Officers models do need to have the recoil Springs changed regularly, so buy more than one to have around when you need one. Yes 22 lbs is fine in my experience.

If you want to shoot regularly, I'd suggest another pistol. Just shoot the OM as much as you need to stay proficient with it.
I have some American Gunner HPs, 200 grain, that do not want to cycle at all. but I see the bullet protrudes quite a bit more than ball or other types of HPs. Maybe that is why. They catch and jam up totally without chambering. Hell of a tie getting them out too. Have to drop the mag and push them out from the top, to fall down through the magwell. 185 grn JHP Remingtons seem to work ok though. And all ball ammo.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Welcome from Michigan !

From Wilson Combat :

OVERVIEW
WHEN IS IT TIME TO CHANGE YOUR RECOIL SPRING?
  • If you start getting failures to return to battery while feeding, it may be an indication that your recoil spring is losing some of its overall length. Typically, compact pistols will require more frequent length recoil spring changes than standard pistols.
  • If your Shok-Buff recoil buffer is becoming torn within a few hundred rounds after installation, that is also evidence that your recoil spring is ready to be replaced.
  • Any easy way to check for a worn spring is to compare your recoil spring versus a new spring of the same weight and brand. If your spring has lost approximately one-half an inch of overall length, it is time to replace your spring. To ensure this you should always have extra recoil springs of your desired weight(s) on hand.
  • Any time you buy a second-hand or older 1911 pistol, it is a good idea to bring all unknown poundage springs back to factory spec for reliable operation. New, quality springs are a cheap insurance policy against malfunctions and pistol damage.
  • If your ejection or extraction pattern suddenly changes, you may have a weakened recoil spring.
Caliber/Barrel lengthRecommended Recoil Spring Weight Range
.45 ACP 5”15-18.5#
.45 ACP 4.25”17-20#
.45 ACP 4”18-22#
9mm 5”10-12#
9mm 4”11-13#
.38 Super 5”13-16#
10mm 5”18.5-22#

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
I have some American Gunner HPs, 200 grain, that do not want to cycle at all. but I see the bullet protrudes quite a bit more than ball or other types of HPs. Maybe that is why. They catch and jam up totally without chambering. Hell of a tie getting them out too. Have to drop the mag and push them out from the top, to fall down through the magwell. 185 grn JHP Remingtons seem to work ok though. And all ball ammo.
Never heard of American gunner ammo. If and when things get back to normal, there are JHPs that feed well in unmodified Colts.

·
Wrinkled Member
1,066 Posts
Buy 3 or more replacement recoil springs. When the used spring loses approximately 10% of its original length, replace.

I believe main spring refers to the one that drives the hammer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting. But hey, thi is what I have. The original Colt officers 3 5/8 barrel 1911 45 acp. I love the gun, and carried it for years. I carry a DA/SA 9mm CZ compact now in winter time, and a pocket 380 in summer. Even my officers is too heavy for me nowadays. So it is a home defense strategy gun. Hardly ever shot. I have a new 22# spring in it, with one magazine shot through to test it. Probably won't get shot more than 20 rounds a years, IF that, from now on. Hopefully it will outlast this old timer at least.
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Speaking about OM`s and bullets, I believe Bill Wilson advocates lighter bullets for reliability issues. Don`t like light bullets myself but my Stealth runs good on 165 grain Hydra Shocks not so much on heavier bullets.

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
Speaking about OM`s and bullets, I believe Bill Wilson advocates lighter bullets for reliability issues. Don`t like light bullets myself but my Stealth runs good on 165 grain Hydra Shocks not so much on heavier bullets.
Air Force CID ran 230 JHPs

1 - 20 of 45 Posts