1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Speaking about OM`s and bullets, I believe Bill Wilson advocates lighter bullets for reliability issues. Don`t like light bullets myself but my Stealth runs good on 165 grain Hydra Shocks not so much on heavier bullets.
I have some Rem 185 grain JHPs that seem to run fine. I will stick with those, IF I can find any these days.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting. But hey, thi is what I have. The original Colt officers 3 5/8 barrel 1911 45 acp. I love the gun, and carried it for years. I carry a DA/SA 9mm CZ compact now in winter time, and a pocket 380 in summer. Even my officers is too heavy for me nowadays. So it is a home defense strategy gun. Hardly ever shot. I have a new 22# spring in it, with one magazine shot through to test it. Probably won't get shot more than 20 rounds a years, IF that, from now on. Hopefully it will outlast this old timer at least.
Thanks for the link.
It go for a long time. Change the recoil spring every 500 rounds and put a Clark custom recoil spring plug in it. It just needs maintenance alittle more often then the full size guns

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Home defense? Ball NO, JHP yes. Number of choices for Jacketed Hollow Points.

The Officers models do need to have the recoil Springs changed regularly, so buy more than one to have around when you need one. Yes 22 lbs is fine in my experience.

If you want to shoot regularly, I'd suggest another pistol. Just shoot the OM as much as you need to stay proficient with it.
I agree about JHPs for defense. I use them exclusively in my 9mm, 38 spcl, etc. but my reasoning behind the ammo question was more about how a JHP probably will not expand reliably with the lower velocities of the short barrel. Makes it effectively an FMJ anyway. And if FMJ feeds a little more reliably, should I just choose that?

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
I agree about JHPs for defense. I use them exclusively in my 9mm, 38 spcl, etc. but my reasoning behind the ammo question was more about how a JHP probably will not expand reliably with the lower velocities of the short barrel. Makes it effectively an FMJ anyway. And if FMJ feeds a little more reliably, should I just choose that?
Good points. I'll ask Ed Harris about JHP expansion in 3.5 barrels and let you know. He his friends tests those things. I'll dig to see if I noted what JHPs worked in OM or email that Air Force friend of mine.

One key point that trumps bullet type: shot placement!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good points. I'll ask Ed Harris about JHP expansion in 3.5 barrels and let you know. He his friends tests those things. I'll dig to see if I noted what JHPs worked in OM or email that Air Force friend of mine.

One key point that trumps bullet type: shot placement!
lol Of course. Always. But I still want the best possible result in what I use. For 357 in Blueberry picking time in Black bear country I use 180 grain Buffalo Bore hard cast lead. In my pocket 380 a solid copper Lehigh penetratdor. In my 9 mm either Gold Dot 124 grn +P or HST 124 grn +P. Just want to know what might be the best option for the shorty 45 acp.
Appreciate the responses to my questions.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
lol Of course. Always. But I still want the best possible result in what I use. For 357 in Blueberry picking time in Black bear country I use 180 grain Buffalo Bore hard cast lead. In my pocket 380 a solid copper Lehigh penetratdor. In my 9 mm either Gold Dot 124 grn +P or HST 124 grn +P. Just want to know what might be the best option for the shorty 45 acp.
Appreciate the responses to my questions.
Try HSTs, known to expand from 3-3.5 inch barrels. Feeding problems with Colt barrels is fixable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Appreciate all the responses. I learn by listening.
I do have one more technical question maybe someone here can help me with on my Officers Model: I want to buy another extractor, and ejector set for it. I find the ejector easy enough, but can't get an answer on the extractor. Is the Officers model different than the Government or Combat models? If so, where do I get one? no on-line source that I can find has a clear answer. (and I live out in the sitcks of Rural New England. nobody near here knows much about anything but cows. lol

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
Appreciate all the responses. I learn by listening.
I do have one more technical question maybe someone here can help me with on my Officers Model: I want to buy another extractor, and ejector set for it. I find the ejector easy enough, but can't get an answer on the extractor. Is the Officers model different than the Government or Combat models? If so, where do I get one? no on-line source that I can find has a clear answer. (and I live out in the sitcks of Rural New England. nobody near here knows much about anything but cows. lol
1) a lot of helpful people here and not just me. Good group of folks.

2) wait for it, I'll do some digging later on

Edit: Midway has blued extractors for sale

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
1) a lot of helpful people here and not just me. Good group of folks.

2) wait for it, I'll do some digging later on

Edit: Midway has blued extractors for sale
Are they specificaclly for Officers Model? Mine is Stainless, but if it fits I don't care. It is internal anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Recoil springs should be changed every 500 rounds in a Officers. Lack of slide weight and mass the recoil spring is called on to do a lot. The Wolff kit to fit the factory guide rod is what I use. There are you tube videos on how to change the firing pin spring. Good idea to clean the extractor and firing pin tunnels with q tips with some solvent on them and wipe down the firing pin and extractor while you have them out. The front recoil spring plug has a tab that is known to break. So I suggest buying the Clark Custom plug. It has a lip that supports it and eliminates the problem. It’s a drop in part. As for ammo , hollow points are preferable for self defense. But with the short barrel I don’t know if you are going to get consistent expansion. Something like Speer gold dot short barrel loads or Hornady maximum defense ammo may be a good choice. Check for reliablabilty in your gun.
Hello again. I have to ask you what you think of this guys information. He is someone I have trusted for gun education for a long time here in New Hampshire. He made this video about spring replacement.

PS I found some Precision One 185 grain JHP FTX rounds. Will see how my gun likes those.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts