1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,457 Posts
Was getting ready to swap in some BHSpringsolutions springs and do the mag disconnect mod on my new hipower. I used 4 layers of gorilla tape and this happened. What can be done to correct this atrocity?

What finish is on the gun? If you want a diy solution you could file/sand it out in as small of an area as possible then apply G96 gel with a Q-tip, rub it in generously, clean up with a little water and repeat til it matches closely, then buff the area with oil. Oil will help it set in.

keep in mind it may not Match perfectly, but will look a good deal better than shiny metal dings.. I'm not saying this is the professional way but is a possible diy solution.

G96 is a black oxide touch up gel works great on little sight dings or scuffs, and is pretty black, matte, can be buffed a bit with oil applied though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Factory black epoxy

What finish is on the gun? If you want a diy solution you could file/sand it out in as small of an area as possible then apply G96 gel with a Q-tip, rub it in generously, clean up with a little water and repeat til it matches closely, then buff the area with oil. Oil will help it set in.

keep in mind it may not Match perfectly, but will look a good deal better than shiny metal dings.. I'm not saying this is the professional way but is a possible diy solution.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,457 Posts
I edited the post a good deal. I mean short of a total refinish will probably be hard to match exactly, but the smaller clean up area you do the less noticeable it will be. It would look a bit better than it does I'm sure if that. Stuff works pretty good tbh. A very top notch smith recommended this product to me over a year ago and it has yet to disappoint.

·
Premium Member
31,207 Posts
Yeah it’s going to go to someone I just don’t know who. I was browsing Fords website earlier.
I know how you are feeling. It happens, learn from it and move on. It CAN be fixed, it’s not the end of the world.

I’m sick for you as well. I’ve destroyed more parts than I care to admit. All can be fixed

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,457 Posts
I feel your pain. I have a blued gun that had a small scratch but my OCD took over and now its an ugly spot. Better if I had left it alone. I love a blue/black gun but it's not easy for a novice to do a spot refinish/blend.
Most cold blues don't work real well on spot touch ups, but the G-96 is more black then blue..

·
North Central AZ Grasslands
3,369 Posts
This a tip that I got from Don Williams that works much better than tape. Cut a piece from a plastic milk gallon and use that instead of tape. Won't fix your current issue, but could save you from doing something similar the next time.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
That sucks. What a gut sinking feeling. That said, I've done waaaaay worse to one of my newly refinished babies. Haven't done anything about it. Just carried it more, eventually it will be all scuffed up and won't look so bad. Then I'll have it reblued. Brass punches, thin uhmw, ie milk carton, can help. I've even turned some uhmw punches. Those don't last very long. Sorry to see but as my woodworking uncle says, "there are no mistakes, only opportunities." To do something cool with it that is. While it's getting refinished might as well have some work done...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.