close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ohio CCW - SB17 and HB54

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polizei1, Sep 30, 2011.

1. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    It's such a better change. Since the signing of it, too bad it took 90 days for it to take affect.

3. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    polizei1, when they say that you have to have your hands in plain sight in the event of law enforcement stop, how is the best way to do that? I've seen someplace where the occupant with a loaded gun held both of his hands out of the window stretched out and claiming they have a CCW and are currently carrying. I thought this looked a bit extreme, can just keeping both hands on the wheel while the officier is approaching and immediately advising him that you are a CCW and are carrying? I've not been stopped carrying a pistol yet so I've not given it much consideration other than immediately advising the officer that you are a CCW and are carrying...

4. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Will,
    I have been stopped on a couple of occasions, and here's what I do.

1) roll down the window.
    2) keep both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock.
    3) when he walks up to the window, inform the officer that I have a CHL and I'm carrying my gun on my hip (or if the gun is in the glove box.).
    4) when asked for my ID, I inform the officer that it's in my wallet, and it's in my right-rear pocket. Verbally telling him I'm reaching for my wallet to get my ID.

And the stop goes pretty smoothly.

If you're driving in your car, chances are, most officer will know that you have a CHL, since the CHL indication would pop up when they run your plate. Or the station operator would inform the officer of such license. So it's also a good thing, if you have multiple cars register in your name, to inform whomever that's driving those vehicle to follow the exact same thing. And then inform the officer that they are not you.

5. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    Also if it is at night, it does not hurt to turn on the interior light..

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Yes.. Turn the dome light on for sure.. Ron

7. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks, all good tips to remember!

8. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Definitely stuff we appreciate.

I would not recommend jumping out of the car and running toward the officer yelling, "I have a gun! I have a gun!" :lol:

Some people try to help by getting out their documents (ID and whatnot) before the officer approaches. Personally, I don't like seeing an occupant reach for anything at all. Hands on the wheel is what I prefer, personally.

Andy

9. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    I see your POV Andy, and would agree with you. There have been several instances where the officer immediately approaches the car, therefore, the last thing I want to do is to be fumbling for my wallet, especially with a CHL and pistol on my person. Therefore, I just stay calm, and keep my hands at 10-2. And then once the officer is present, I tell him/her that I'm reaching for my wallet.

For me, it also help that I'm a southpaw, so my pistol is holster on the left, while the wallet is on my right.

But hey, YMMV.

It should also be mention to also turn off the car and keep your seat belt on. One time I had an officer question about me having my seatbelt on, before he had pulled me over. I told him, I had taken it off so I can pull my wallet out of my rear right pocket.

10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I've only been in a few traffic stops, but the advice told thus far is solid. When I become a police officer, those things will go VERY far with me. Don't fumble or reach around for anything until the officer has already approached and talked to you. Believe me, they have all day long to stand there, so another minute isn't going to matter. If the officer isn't complacent, they will probably appreciate it. Now that doesn't mean you won't get a ticket, but it may help!

Everything really depends on the individual officer. But, generally do this (in order):

Turn the vehicle OFF
    Roll down window ALL the way (if you have tints like me, roll down all)
    Turn on overhead light (if night)
    Place hands on the steering wheel near the top (9/3 10/2 etc.)
    During approach inform officer immediately that you have a CHL, if you are carrying say so. If you are NOT carrying, say that as well
    When they ask for your information say "It's in 'X' location, and then SLOWY get it unless otherwise told.
    Always be polite and nice, even if the officer is a ****. If nothing else, it will help you in court (if you think you are wrongly accused). Everything is ALWAYS recorded

Edit* Like Knedrgr said, keep or put your seatbelt on before the officer approaches

11. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Cuong and Cody hit it on the head. Hands on the wheel, very deliberate, no quick movements, and clearly communicate any and all intentions for both the officer's safety and yours. :thumb:

12. jst1tym

Aug 23, 2011
    Great info! I especially like hearing it from the LE folks themselves. :thumb:

13. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    My car's are tinted, so here's what i do when i get pulled over:

My license and permit are in my money clip that is on the seat next to me, so I take them out when i'm pulling over. They are always the top 2 cards in there, so i don't even have to look to get them. My insurance is in the center console above the radio, so that's easy to get as well.

When i am finally pull over, i already have my documents in hand and turn the car off.
    I lower my windows and have both my hands on the steering wheel holding my documents even before the officer is out of the car.
    If it's dark out, i turn on my interior lights.

When he approaches the car/window, I inform him that I am a CHL holder, where my firearm is and ask "How would he would like me to proceed?"
    I had one trooper say "Don't show me your's and i won't have to show you mine." :lol:

Only been pulled over twice and never had an issue. Also never got a ticket either.

14. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Active Member

Sep 12, 2011
    As a side note to the discussion on traffic stops, I live in Ohio and will be going out this evening to one of my favorite local pizza places that also serves alcohol. I'm not planning on drinking for several reasons and I'm going to be curious if the owner who I know decides to post or not.

15. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Shockingly, the local news has not had any stories of apocalyptic mayhem and rivers of blood in the streets from all the crazed drunken gun toting manics.

16. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Effing media :blah:

They made a big stink here not long ago about the consequences about no longer having to have a permit to conceal carry. Sounds like they did the same BS there. :rolleyes:

17. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Never really understood why one need a license, for something that is a right in the first place....money ? Also why is a carry license not valid in all states. makes no sense at all.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted