OK, so what makes you a 1911 ADDICT?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 45Driver, Oct 28, 2011.

1. 45Driver

45Driver Throbbing Member.

Sep 24, 2011
    The short version of my story is that I've been owning and shooting them since 1987. Started with a Llama .45 and then found a nice Nastoff built Series 70 Government Model at my local gunshop.

I recognized the name since I was a magazine educated pistol guy. This was my first look at a Videcki Speed Trigger and I thought it was cool as hell! I started to view them like how a nice set of Cragar SS wheels on any old car makes it look racy and custom.:grin:

I read every issue of AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazine (before the new editor, now only on a sometime basis- I miss Hopkins) and any other that had articles about 1911s.

I even once had a vivid dream about owning a gunshop and I had the glass cases loaded with all types of stainless steel, blued, hardchromed and two-toned compensated customs.

Eventually over the years I have been fortunate to own many different guns like those that starred in my dream but there are still a few that I'd like to try out.

My safe contains several really nice 1911s and I am always scheming about how I'll procure the next one or which top 'smith will build my next awesome blaster.

I have to mention that my pistols have all been used for fun shooting at leisure, I'll be getting to the serious side of owning and carrying a pistol for protection because I'll have my CCW license in about month, as it has recently been made legal in my state.

So the question is... why do you consider yourself a true 1911 addict?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    The fact that they single handedly stormed the beach of Normandy! ....

Actually the main reason I like them is that to me it is the easiest gun to place a very accurate shot under stress. Thats about 90% of it. The other 10% is aesthetics.

3. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I have small hands, so the thinner grips being single stack make it MUCH easier for me to obtain a proper grip on the pistol, which obviously allows me to shoot faster and more accurate. Also, I LOVE the history of the pistol, and the looks, and the build quality, parts quality, how everything has to be fit together, etc.

4. diesel44

diesel44 NRA LE Handgun Instructor

Sep 26, 2011
    I like that it is a classic design that has withstood the test of time. That I am carrying the same type of handgun my grandfather carried in WWII. That they are infinitely customizable and that it is the most tried and true platform to shoot the best caliber ever: .45ACP. Just my $.02 ;)

5. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    I'm not - I hate them ...:thumb:

6. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    It's got 100 years of history. It's probably on of the most prolific weapons of it's time. I don't think it will ever fade or die like some other guns in the past have. We're probably looking at well over another 100 years of use. Plus, it's pretty damn sexy compared to what else is out there.

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    My second handgun was a SA Mil-Spec 1911. It shot well for me and no matter how many platforms I've tried through the years, I always go back to the 1911 for all my handgun needs. Nothing shoots better, feels better or looks better IMO. The history of the 1911 is just an added bonus and has nothing to do with the reason why it's my favorite.

8. jacktex

jacktex New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A friend got me into target shooting about ten years ago. I started out with a nice used lightweight commander. I was intrigued with the design and the way all of the parts interacted and often did more than one function. The genius of the design and the way the weapon shot and felt just right converted me into an addict. Still have the Commander and about ten other variants. Love 'em....Jacktex

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    natural grip angle
    balance weight
    soft recoil
    customizable
    timeless design

10. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The entire manual of arms I just feel more at ease with than I do with others.

I tend to shoot them better as well thanks to the better trigger they generally have.

11. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Because no other handgun seem to fit me as good as a 1911. It was like it was made for my hands. I can just pick one up and not have a hard time trying to pick up the sites. The trigger just feels right. It doesn't feel bulky like other firearms that I have tried. It just feels right.

12. WahWah

WahWah Debbie Downer ... WahWah! Supporting Addict

Oct 26, 2011
    What makes an Addict?

I was reviewing some of the past posts and didn't realize how new this forum is, but I really like you guys already.
    Seem down to earth and just nice and good people here.

So ... what makes an addict?
    I like 1911's and I plan on adding more, but I'm a bit wary to use them as carry pieces.

I know I mentioned Colts and I do think I need to get at least one, but the Holy Grail of 1911 to me is a WC.

I'm not sure I'm an addict yet, but I think it will be fun finding out. :biggrin1:

13. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Why?

14. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Why not?

15. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Merging a thread that is on the same topic.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?1524-OK-so-what-makes-you-a-1911-ADDICT

16. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Save your money and just get that WC. You'll put a lot of money into that Colt getting it right.

<----Knows from experience.

17. WahWah

Oct 26, 2011
    LOL. Am I wrong to think they're the best? Did I read too much of their literature and watched their video? I'm open to counter points. It's not set in stone ;)

18. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    The holy grail is a full-house custom, built to YOUR specs. Just to name a few:

Bob Rogers
    Chuck Rodgers
    Jason Burton
    Ted Yost
    Steve Bailey
    Stan Chen

19. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I'm not saying you're wrong. I've nothing against Wilson Combat. I was just curious what made you choose them as your Holy Grail of 1911s. I want a Wilson Combat.

20. WahWah

Oct 26, 2011
    Established track record of fine-tuned, accurate, reliable, beautiful semi-production 1911's.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted