Okay, Need some addicts help on a Marlin 1895

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Karsten, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Some I have an offer on my 1st Gen SA TRP Operator in near mint condition for a trade for a Marlin 1895 XLR JM Marked 45-70 Guide Gun I have no use for. I just learned JM Marked guns from before Marlin was bought out are sought after or so the internet says.....

What do you all think....JM Marked Guide Gun in 45-70 with 15 rounds for a lightly used 100 rounds maybe SA TRP Operator.

Thanks for any input and I did check my old Marlin 1895 .357 Mag in also pre what ever and JM Marked and never been fired.

Karsten

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    wcanterbury and gps man like this.
  2. idHawk

idHawk Member

Oct 29, 2018
    I'm not a Marlin expert, but I have done some research on the subject. Seems to me the TRP Operator still has a slightly higher resell value on the used market at this time. 10 years from now? The Marlin would most likely win out. Just my .02

wcanterbury likes this.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, I traded a JM marked Marlin 45/70 and a bit of cash for a double barrel shotgun a couple of years ago. As of a month or so ago, my Marlin was still on the used rack at the gun store...

I had no use for the Marlin, but had a use for the shotgun...

Yours would be a good trade to me, but it is your guns.

wcanterbury and Blue Ridge like this.
  4. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    Sold 2 in .444 JM marked in the local trade rag for $700 each. Had many calls for them too.

wcanterbury likes this.
  5. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    In the Great State of Arizona, your TRP Operator $1100-$1200, the Marlin $700-$800.

6. Stromburg

Stromburg Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Karsten
    I’m a big Marlin fan but I’m not educated on the XLR’s, I’m more into the pre safety guns.
    I will say you probably wouldn’t lose on the deal at all and I’m thinking the Marlin is easily worth $1200 all day long and probably more since it’s JM stamped.

I’ll try and research a little more tonight but what little I found so far is XLR’s we’re 24” barrels, don’t quote me on this yet.

In short I’d say it’s a fair trade

wcanterbury and gps man like this.
  7. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    You said it yourself, "I have no use for". If it was a 45 Colt, .44 Mag or .357 Mag with a long barrel you could pair it with a pistol and have a lot of fun! :grin:

8. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    That is what I was thinking....I don't hunt, I have an old Winchester Trapper in .44 Mag, I have a Marlin Stamped JM in .357 that has never been loaded....So what the ell would I do with it.....And I hate SS Rifles to boot.

Oh well, saved him a 200 plus mile drive and me a 40 mile drive.

Thanks all....I knew I could get some sound advice here.

Karsten

UBOATDOC, limbkiller and Stromburg like this.
  9. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You know you have the better half of the deal when the guy will drive 200 miles to come get it lol!

DRYHUMOR and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    I love my Marlins, but I'd sell the TRP, buy a Henry 45-70 and about $300 worth of ammo...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted