Oklahoma Gov. Signed "Constitutional Carry" Law Today-Effective Nov. 1

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Chuck73080, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Chuck73080

Chuck73080 1911 addict Supporting Addict

Jan 28, 2019
    I am a firm believer in the the right to bear arms, however I felt a little bit safer knowing that SDA Act licence holders here had to at least take the mandatory class, exhibit some weapon proficiency, be fingerprinted and pass state/federal background checks.

I take my responsibility very seriously, I've been shooting for 57 years and practice with my EDC guns on a regular basis.

Unfortunately over that time, I have witnessed many inexperienced and/or reckless shooters struggle with the basic principles of safe gun handling. I've also read many accounts of fools letting anger and poor judgement precipitate tragic results.

I hope that I am wrong, I hope that citizens who exercise their right to bear arms are cognizant of the responsibility they are assuming.

isialk and xerts1191 like this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    The problem is when those proficiency requirements, mandatory classes, and state and federal background checks become so extensive and so expensive they are impossible to obtain. Much like the Kobayashi Maru. Leaning to the side of less, limited, or no government has been proven time and time again to be the more viable option.

3. Chuck73080

Jan 28, 2019
    I wonder how a one time class fee of $50 and a 5 year $100 licence is too expensive to carry a concealed weapon. That works out to $30/yr, if you can't afford that then you can't afford the ammunition to practice and if you're not going to practice then you have no business carrying a weapon.

I'm not talking about a gun at home, I'm talking about carrying a loaded concealed weapon in public.

There is also another aspect of this that i am curious about. I was told when I got my SDA licence that it was cross-referenced with DMV files to show LEOs that my wife and I have an SDA licence, I wonder how the police feel about not knowing.

isialk likes this.
  4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    We have had CC in Ks. for some time.
    I have seen none of the "worst case" issues you mention come to pass.

What I HAVE seen, re. "anger/poor judgement" has been people that cannot legally own a gun obtain and use one anyhow.

Chuck73080 likes this.
  5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    1. Because it is our constitutional right to bear arms NOT a gov't regulated activity where they get to charge us fees and tack on obstacles to attain that right. In this country the people are supposed to run the gov't not the other way around which is what they have done to us. Which is why I am for VERY limited gov't.
    2. It is none of the police's business whether or not I am carrying. They don't get to put me on a list.

6. Chuck73080

Jan 28, 2019
    I hope that is how it works out, time will tell.

7. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Though I would love to get into a long and distinguished philosophical debate, I am pressed for time. So I will hit the high points. I should not be required to pay anyone any amount of money to be allowed to protect myself. The government does not have the ability to legislate away the rights I was given by being born unto this earth.

I was raised pretty damn poor. Not as bad as some but I have worked my ace off for everything I have. And though admittedly $50 or even $100 is not much money to me these days it is to many people. Especially those who have a dire need to be able to exercise their second amendment rights.

A well trained police officer will consider anyone s/he comes into contact with armed. And in American law enforcement there has never been a police officer on the scene of a call where a gun wasn't present. So, no need to wonder what the police would feel if the officer in question is not brain dead.

I am going to classify you as one of the "I believe in the Second Amendment, but...." individuals which plague our side of the aisle. Any further communication is not needed. Enjoy your Thursday.

Chuck73080 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted