1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Done.
I was DONE with it for SURE!
Just putting it back together in firing condition was a NIGHTMARE!
A MILLION different little parts with the hammers alone!
I told him not to ever fire it, & he reassured me it was just a wall hanger.
I feel good just knowing this 120 year old double barrel was saved from the scrap heap, & will live on for many years for people to admire & talk about.
0325171135.jpg

View attachment 236315
0325171136a.jpg

·
Deo Volente
7,122 Posts
WHAT! WAIT! YOU CAN'T FIRE THAT EXQUISITE DOUBLE BARREL? :(:(:(:(:( SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Reactions: Karsten

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fired it twice (low brass #8 shot).
Scary tho, (I was worried about a firing pin shattering more than anything) I made him PROMISE he would never fire it.
He has 2 LARGE Gunsafes in his game room full of guns, so I am sure he has no need or desire to fire it (It was his Grandpas shotgun).
They found it in the attic after his Grandfather died.
Its not Damascus barrels, so he prolly could shoot it with mild 12ga shells.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Just curious. Could you identify the maker/model of this gun. It appears to have fluid steel barrels, minimal engraving, and a plain stock . I "restored" an old Greener for a good friend about twenty years ago. Nothing fancy and typical of its time. However, it was shootable with the proper ammo.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious. Could you identify the maker/model of this gun. It appears to have fluid steel barrels, minimal engraving, and a plain stock . I "restored" an old Greener for a good friend about twenty years ago. Nothing fancy and typical of its time. However, it was shootable with the proper ammo.
Ill have to text him.
I dont recall, I refinished it last summer (leaves on the trees in photo).
None of that ERA, IMHO are safe to shoot, without being checked out first (ESPECIALLY DAMASCUS barrel guns).
I researched that one & it was 1893-'99.
I was stupid for shooting it myself.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Very nice work.
I have a similar 16 gauge Belgian guild gun my great grandpa bought from the Montgomery Ward catalog. Now I know what to do with it. Thank you for posting this.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
A lot of Belgian guns were shipped here and sold under various brand names. I'd be very careful with any of their Damascus barreled guns. With a few exceptions, many of their barrels looked very attractive but were poorly made compared to the British built guns.

Reactions: xerts1191

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Nice work! A gun built as God intended. Two barrels (sxs) and as many triggers. If there's a platform that I, might, love more than the 1911, it's side by sides with double triggers. I really need another shotgun.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have an old Side by Side ‘Field Grade’ Lefever 12ga (30 inch barrels) that my Uncle gave me back in the 1960s. One of the Firing Pins Broke when he owned it. He was skilled Professional Machinist and Inventor. He made a replacement Firing Pin by hand that he modeled and hardened to match the good one. I used to Duck Hunt with it using High Brass 2 3/4” Remington Winchester SuperX #4 Shot Loads without any untoward results.

It lost whatever bluing it ever had a long time before he gave it to me. I keep it in the Safe preserved in a coating of RIG. I need to take it out, go over it, clean it, and give it to my older son as Oldest Sons should get everything passed on to them according to the ‘Right of Progenitor’. (I am the oldest son and now the family Patriarch as well, and this is what I believe even though my younger siblings reject this concept......people have no respect for tradition, anymore!!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eclipse, Belgium is what he told me.
IIRC, it was dated to 1896.

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
Wow, just wow! Thanks for sharing that here with us!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Here's some info on the "Eclipse" shotguns from Belgium.

The Eclipse Gun Co name was owned (trade marked to) Henri Pieper of Belgium and guns were manufactured from as early as the 1880's to as late as the 1920's. Henri Pieper was associated with several different companies some of which bore his name and all of them made handguns and shotguns. The Eclipse Gun Co. models ranged from a low of $14 to a high of $60 in the 1907 era. Ithaca doubles of that era ranged from $17.50 to $112.50. The Eclipse Gun Co. models were good quality, dependable, field grade doubles. Many models were made with Damascus barrels as were many of the quality doubles of the era. The 1907 Iver Johnson catalog had two pages on Eclipse Gun Co. models (6 total). This catalog fully identifies these guns as being of Pieper manufacture.

The Eclipse Gun Company was also the trade name for guns imported by E.C. Meacham and by The W.C. George companies and the guns were made by Anciens Etablissments Pieper, the Belgium gun maker founded by Henri Pieper. The company survived until 1957.

Reactions: BR549er
1 - 20 of 24 Posts