Old 1911

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Baldwin, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    After learning of my new obsession with 1911s, a good friend mentioned that he had an old, gov't. issue 1911 and offered to let me check it out. He was given the gun by his wife's grandfather who brought it home from serving in the Korean War. My friend has done some research and is thinking the gun was built in 1918. For some reason, I'm awestruck by the gun. I feel like it's a piece of history and wonder what stories it could tell. I would like to detail strip and clean the gun. I still feel like a 1911 newbie, but I have detail stripped my DW a couple of times without any issues. I'm assuming this pistol would not be a whole lot different? I anticipate some heavy duty cleaning and wonder if soaking the parts in something would be a good idea? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 1911.jpg Old 1911 2.jpg

cwoods, simonp, cgff and 11 others like this.
  2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Shoot the snot out of it . . . .

Clean with Hoppes #9, oil, reassemble, and shoot some more.

simonp, 1L26, fieldgrade and 2 others like this.

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I have good luck lately using Ballistol it takes some time but is gentle & cleans well.
    Having old Colt 1911s I totally agree with Zoid, shoot it that is when this old war horse is
    happy. History yes, yet always remember John Moses Browning created the 1911 as a Forever
    pistol.
    What a beautiful example of the 1911 in all it's glory :)

4. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    1L26 likes this.
  5. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Being a 1918 I wouldn’t shoot it to much with factory full power Ammo. The slides on that vintage are not heat treated and have a tendency to crack.

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Good point! I tend to shoot one specific type of ammo through my older 1911's when I take them out to the range, and I use one of those despised Wilson shock buffers in them also. My vintage 1911's are not carried for defense, but range toys.

Oh yeah, the ammo?

TulAmmo .45 ACP ball ammo. Those are loaded very light, they run under 370 ft./lbs. muzzle energy and are very cost effective.

Another good choice would be Blaser Brass or PMC ball ammo at around 350 ft./lbs. muzzle energy.

YMMV

wrmiller likes this.
  7. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Compared to the abuse that weapon saw in military service, there is not a lot you could do to it that would hurt it.

8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Great point Zoid we do have the option of using lighter than normal ammo. No need to put undo stress on our old war horses :)

However we must shoot them, & often it's what they were made for. Have fun & I hope your friend will see that it needs to belong to an addict like yourself.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted