1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this old girl (mid-1970's) from GB and she's going to be built.

I think it's a good start, it appears to have not been abused but she's loose here and there like they use to build them. The internals were strikingly clean and free of any noticeable wear marks.

I may go by Yost, since he's less than a mile from here, and get a quote just to see and dream or maybe send her to Nighthawk for a build and their smoke Nitrade finish or maybe even our own Steve Owens.

I'll be 55 in March of 2021, it'll make a hell of a gift to myself if i can get a build done in the next 12 months.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,275 Posts
Should be a great build!
I’ll be watching!

Reactions: Mtek

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Nice gun!:thumbs:

I recent picked up a ‘76 Colt LW Commander in 45 that I thought about having rebuilt, but I’ve decided to just shoot it for a while.

SteveO did a great job on the gun he built me last year, and he would be my first choice for another. I do like Greg Derr’s Commander grip safety though.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,015 Posts
It appears to be in better than average condition. I'm looking forward to seeing the build. Happy Birthday.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Yep, should be a great build and a great idea for a birthday present to yourself. Gives me ideas, 53 in a month so I guess I will have to shoot for my 54th Birthday ;)

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Registered
179 Posts
ohhhh yeah... That Combat Commander is just about like the one I used for my Combat Commander build. I originally intended to do a barrel upgrade to replace the original Colt barrel that headspaced on the case rim, as shooting the gun with the original barrel was resulting in pierced primers, and shotgun like groups. An STI ramped barrel was fit to solve that issue. Since the gun was going to the smith, I also thought I'd have him fit an upswept grip safety, and checker the front strap at 25 LPI. One thing led to another and I decided I needed some better sights, so I had him fit some Novak adjustable sights to the slide. I also had him mill in some serrations on the top of the slide. Now we needed a refinish so Ion bond seemed like a good choice since it would give an original look. I retained the original Colt fire control parts, fit a short aluminum trigger, and used an Ed Brown extended thumb safety. I recently replaced the Ed Brown thumb safety with a WC BP extended thumb safety. The gun shoots heavy .38 Super ammo with ease, and very light felt recoil.
IMG_0108.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I have 2 Colts coming from KGB soonish... both .38 sups, one being a Commander.
Steve O ... aka: @Integrity Arms is also doing a Commander Colt .38 sup. for me.... stay tuned for them to be presented.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I lubed her up before I went on my business trip this week and let her sit in a silicon bag and the finish came back nicely. The above pictures were right out of the FedEx box.

Maybe I'll just do a mechanical restoration rather then a full, thoughts?

0221201625.jpg
0221201626.jpg

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,034 Posts
I lubed her up before I went on my business trip this week and let her sit in a silicon bag and the finish came back nicely. The above pictures were right out of the FedEx box.

View attachment 420329 View attachment 420331
You need to send this to me already John.. Just send it out and forget about it lol. Buy another to play with until this one comes back..

I'll promise you this a nice Colt custom from me and you'll quit shooting your other guns lol.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

View attachment 420329 View attachment 420331
You need to send this to me already John.. Just send it out and forget about it lol. Buy another to play with until this one comes back..

I'll promise you this a nice Colt custom from me and you'll quit shooting your other guns lol.
Have to agree with Steve, in for a penny in for a pound, redo that old girl and make her perfect and yours!

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'm thinkin I need one like that since the two I have being done will be all gussied-up.

Remember... once you go black (or blue, or chrome, or DLC, or whatever) you can't go back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
She looks great all cleaned up. Those pre series 80 Commanders were just a great looking gun. I'd love to find myself another that is all original just to look at from time to time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts