1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore !
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I need some help ....
I ran across a Colt Commercial from the 20's
I'm having a hard time believing it hasn't been refinished...
It shows signs of wear.. but still looks pretty good for its age...
What should or could I look for to help identify if it's been reblued ?
What should I look for to tell if it's original ??

I mean ... I can even see the arrow in the Colt's mouth ..

The current owner says he was told by its previous owner the gun was original...

Is this gun in the $ 1500 dollar range ??

Sorry no pics...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Without pics its tough, make a trip over to the Colt Forum tell them what your eyeballing and the questions you have about it

·
Vendor
2,998 Posts
Thats a good buy for a prewar Commercial in good original finish. Be advised, being pre A1 it has more collector than shooter value. Things I would want to be very sure of is the finish original? Is the Slide, barrel, sights, small parts original? Any cracks in the slide or peening at the slide stop notch? See pic for Marking info

Attachments

Reactions: joerockhead

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a good buy for a prewar Commercial in good original finish. Be advised, being pre A1 it has more collector than shooter value. Things I would want to be very sure of is the finish original? Is the Slide, barrel, sights, small parts original? Any cracks in the slide or peening at the slide stop notch? See pic for Marking info
Thanks..

By more collector vs shooter value ..
Do you mean it has more " safe queen" ( buy it an hold it ) vs buy it to shoot it value ??

·
Vendor
2,998 Posts
Thanks..

By more collector vs shooter value ..
Do you mean it has more " safe queen" ( buy it an hold it ) vs buy it to shoot it value ??
I mean the slides were not hardened like modern (post A1 improvements 1924ish) and they can peen and break from use (I have one in the safe now).

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I don't know if this helps, but this is what a refinished 1918 Colt commercial looks like.

The sides of the slide and frame are too perfect, TOO shiny. The rampant pony isn't complete (but some older examples could have been weak roll-marked).

1918 Colt Commercial - 006.JPG

1918 Colt Commercial - 008.JPG

1918 Colt Commercial - 009.JPG

1918 Colt Commercial - 010.JPG

1918 Colt Commercial - 028.JPG

You will notice there isn't any of the original "grain" left in the finish.

Now take a look at the inside surfaces. These were not polished. You can see the grain from the original surfaces. Those light streaks will be more pronounced on the inside of the gun, but should be evident on the exterior surfaces as well.

1918 Colt Commercial - 018.JPG

1918 Colt Commercial - 016.JPG

I don't think Colt was doing highly polished slide flats until right around the appearance of the Series 70 guns, but someone more knowledgeable will come along and correct or confirm me.

Hope this helps.

Z

·
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You @ ZOID...
This leads me to believe the one I'm looking at may not be refinished after all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts