Old Fusion spa treatment

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Shocker2000, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    My first decent 1911 was this custom built Fusion by Dave Nielson at South Ridge Arms. I traded a Colt King Cobra stainless 4" for it. I'm sure the Cobra is worth more money now, but what the heck. A friend had it built from good quality parts, and his wife really wanted a Cobra.

Before pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As is, it didn't look bad. The gun is fit tight. It requires a barrel bushing tool. Recently, I finally put my first idiot scratch on a 1911, this Fusion. That prompted me to get the gun refinished and touch up a few things I didn't like.

@Dreadi at Black Hammer Arms was running a refinish special, so knowing Dana personally, I took advantage of his services. I have been encouraging Dana along in his journey of becoming a gunsmith and finally getting his FFL.

The first thing I didn't like was how the dust cover extended beyond the ball cut in a weird squared off fashion. It always bugged me. So, we debated whether to do a curved section or angle. We went with an angle, and I think it looks much better.

[​IMG]

Next on the list was the grip safety. It functioned but, esthetically, it needed some help. I think Dana did a great job considering he kept the original safety. I figured I'd need a new one, but I'm happy with the results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finish is Cerakote in Elite Midnight (I know, I started the I hate Cerakote thread, but this gun was coated in Gunkote to begin with - LOL)

[​IMG]

Assembled...and yes I was too cheap to buy new Heinie sights.
    [​IMG]

The only remaining issue, is that the gun would eject spent casings on top of the slide. You can see the wear if you look carefully here. So Dana is going to check extractor tension and ejector.
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the Fusion refresh, and look forward to taking it to the range.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Dreadi

Dreadi Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Thanks, Mark.

I made a notch in your slide catch as well. That should help you out in the future.

[​IMG]

3. OneEyedTanker

OneEyedTanker Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Nice pistol man! I think you got a good deal on that trade, regardless of value. I’d much rather have a made to order, custom shooter than a real pretty, super valuable safe queen. That’s probably sacrilegious to all the “Snake Gun Fan Boys” out there, but hey! This IS a 1911 Forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocker2000 likes this.
  4. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Fusion is back home. Time for a few glamour shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OneEyedTanker and Ethanol Red like this.
  5. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Nice work!!
    The back cut on the rail came out looking great
    Great Lookin Gun !!

OneEyedTanker and Shocker2000 like this.
  6. Dreadi

Dreadi Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Thank you.

I’m still wondering, why didn’t they do it right the first time?

Rezarf likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted