Old Guy Looking for New Advice

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Bully, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    So...

I used to spend a lot of time around these parts. Not so much anymore as I've been bitten by the long(ish) range bug and have been shooting mid-range FTR and building my own rifles. For whatever reason, I'm enjoying them more than handguns.

That said;
    I have most of the parts for a commander build. Major parts needed are barrel, guide rod and mainspring housing/magwell. Most of the other stuff is there including the frame/slide that I put together.
    I find myself looking for a 'smith to finish this.

The frame has an untrimmed dustcover, the slide is slab side. Beavertail is mostly fitted. I have a flat trigger and want to add a bull barrel (flush cut and crowned) and magwell/MSH. I'd like everything checkered at 15LPI but I'd like the diamonds flat-topped. I'd like the frame (maybe) black, and the slide bead blasted. I'm thinking flames off the muzzle. Essentially a no-nonsense build with just a bit of an edge.

If anyone has any suggestions for a smith, please post here with some pics of the work. I'd love to see it.

Thanks a bunch.

Steve Owens likes this.
  2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012

3. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    I looked at a website for Integrity Arms and see no mention of 1911's on it. If I was looking at the incorrect site, please post a link. Thanks.

4. FredZ

FredZ Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 7, 2017
    Steve Owens . IMG_4368.jpg IMG_4380.jpg IMG_4344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
  6. FredZ

Aug 7, 2017
    Love the ball cuts on top of the slide. Steve original?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Owens likes this.
  7. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Could use the correct website

8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    No website yet that I know of.

Mostly word of mouth, maybe FaceCraigsBookListArms.

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Steve is a member of this forum and should be along shortly...

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    Another vite for Steve Owens He a great guy to deal with and excellent communication. He'll be along shortly!

Steve Owens likes this.
  11. mikemac

mikemac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 22, 2017
    Steve Owens likes this.
  12. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    I looked at Integrity Arms' thread on here. His work looks great. To be perfectly blunt, his lack of a website is a tough pill to swallow for me.

I also stumbled across David Clevinger (there is a thread on one of his guns on the home page). I sent him an email and he replied saying that he would respond over the weekend. I thought to myself "sure you will..." Wouldn't you know it, he did. His price was lower than expected and I'm fine with his wait time. Currently he's a front runner.

I've contacted several other 'smiths and didn't get the warm and fuzzies from them. However something could change. We'll see.

13. Addicted2gunz

Addicted2gunz Undecided on whether or not I'm indecisive... Supporting Addict

Jul 14, 2018
    Sooo....having a website affects the finished product? I guess I'd rather hire someone like Steve that comes highly recommended with a proven track record. That's just me though, to each his own.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    wrmiller and FredZ like this.
  14. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    He just got his FFL within the last 30 days. Things take time. Give him a break

Z

wrmiller and Addicted2gunz like this.
  15. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I like websites, since nobody does catalogs any more.
    I hope he doesn't try to run a business off of Facebook, that is not a satisfactory merchandising operation.
    I'd rather just phone or e-mail than mess with FB.

16. FredZ

Aug 7, 2017

17. FredZ

Aug 7, 2017
    Just want to double down on addicted2 guns remarks. I have been lucky enough to be working with Steve on 3 different builds and at no time did we need a website. His word is plenty good enough for me.

18. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Bobo actually done the ball cuts on the top of the slide on this pistol Fred, this was a cojoined effort on the part of He and I.. I fit the BTGS, Magwell, Did internal work, cut in sights etc.. Bobo did a great deal of the outside aesthetic cuts.. I also did the finish.. Always a kind word though you are quite the gentleman..

WWB, wrmiller and Addicted2gunz like this.
  19. Bully

Bully Is that so...

May 12, 2016
    Thank you all for the recommendation(s).

I know it was 100% in favor of another smith, however I'm going to go with David. I like his work (I've watched him for a while) and he is very prompt with his communication. That means a lot to me. I am also set of flame engraving and he offers that prominently on his website.

Parts leave my hands around the 2nd of January.
    A preliminary plan has been established.
    I'm very excited.

Thanks again.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted