Old guys, at what distance do you shoot? (hand guns)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZoidMeister, Jul 25, 2020.

1. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    It's true they said I would go blind if I didn't stop doing that !!!!!!! 7-15 yards 25 if I'm feel'en froggy

FWoo45 and rmac like this.
  2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    So anyway, here is how I shot. All at 7 yards.

The Jimmy Durante Springer

20200725_183035.jpg

20200725_183226.jpg

ZOIDS1911

20200725_183145.jpg

The Bubba Colt

20200725_183207.jpg

The Strahan Bullseye

20200725_183121.jpg

Browning Hi Power

20200725_183252.jpg

3. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    simonp and gps man like this.
  4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    50 yards from a bag rest shooting sporting clay targets. Fun shooting!

boatdoc, simonp and 1911 crazed like this.
  5. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I’d suggest doing the test again with standard tan / black targets, same target for each gun. There is some variation in your targets above - need to limit the variables to figure out the issue(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1911 crazed, FWoo45 and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. Dr Awkward

Dr Awkward Active Member Supporting Addict

Apr 28, 2020
    My eyes aren't terrible, but shooting iron sights is hopeless without my glasses. With glasses (progressive bifocals) I can see well enough to aim at 1 or 2 inch dots in my basement 10 meter airgun range. My groups are bigger than the dots, but when I aim that small I miss smaller than otherwise.

It seems like there should be a glasses setup that would help. Have you looked for an eye doctor who would be interested in the project?

1911 crazed, FWoo45 and ZoidMeister like this.
  7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014

I had a bunch of different ones printed up, took them to the shoot, and didn't use them. I just started peeling them off the top of the stack. No rhyme or reason. There are probably 4 or 5 other designs I didn't get to.

Z

1911 crazed, FWoo45 and rmac like this.
  8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    10, 15, and 20 running drills on IDPA/USPSA targets

25 to see where my groups are really going if I adjust or change sights.

40 yards on an array of steel for instant gratification

100 yards on steel before I leave the range, just because. I don’t get many hits.

Whiten, Uncle Bob, simonp and 2 others like this.
  9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
  10. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Right now, 25-yards on silhouettes.

1911 crazed and ZoidMeister like this.
  11. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Zoid,
    From looking at those targets, I sure don’t want to be on the receiving end.
    Hmm, that zoids 1911, & that BHP sure was kinda something right working there.

To answer your question, Indoor range usually 7yds.

When I was working range regularly (RSO) I used a drill of 3 yds W/head shots total two mags double taps from low ready. Moved out to 7 yards 2 mags total, double taps upper thoracic
    Same at 10 yds.

Lately my regular drills are at 7yds double taps & 10 yards same. Last few months I’ve only been shooting One of 2 or both My CCWs

1911 crazed and rmac like this.
  12. studenygreg

studenygreg Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2016
    I shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 100 yards. Just depends on the handgun and what o feel like doing that day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Uncle Bob, 1911 crazed and fieldgrade like this.
  13. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Lot of work. If I use paper I still shoot IPSC Item targets.

ButchA likes this.
  14. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    You bet!

I don't shoot indoors, I find it unpleasant and I don't really like having to worry about the people on each side that I don't know.

kevinlittell and ButchA like this.
  15. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    I start at 15 yards and go out to 100. I normally warm up with conventional drills, but 99% of the time you know I come from the holster. If I'm feeling rusty and a bit lazy, I start on a 12" plate at 15 to 20 yards. If I'm staying on steel, I'll go to the ITEM sized target and run the Mozambique, the church drill, 5X5, whatever comes to mind. My biggest beef is not being able to work out at a gym. As we get older, you really need to work to keep muscle tone.Thankfully my eyes are still good enough.

Then comes the people that think you can't! This is the 1911A1NM before the barrel lug broke. The Storm Lake drop in just isn't quite as good. I can do it with my 45acp Range Officer though.

2easternfront.jpg

1911 crazed and ButchA like this.
  16. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Curved triggers or flat (excluding the BHP)?

My ROC still has the curved trigger and I have to watch myself carefully to I don't "push" the trigger and have the rounds off to the left.

17. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    100 yards is where loading match ammo does help a bit. I still use the H&G 68.

ButchA likes this.
  18. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I do most of my training drills from 10-15 yards with my everyday progressive glasses on. Front sight clarity is gone and has been for about 15 years. I do have a pair of shooting glasses with the right lens set at front sight distance and that gives me a good clear sight picture but then the target is quite blurry. A 50’ NRA bullseye target and 25 yard bullseye targets have a black blob in the center and it is hard to focus attention to the same spot every time.

After over 40 years of shooting my trigger control is perhaps better than ever and it just makes the visual loss even more exasperating.

I have to shoot more just to keep my level of performance acceptable to me.

As they say “getting old is not for sissies”.

ZoidMeister, Uncle Bob, rmac and 4 others like this.
  19. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    last time I went for new glasses( near sighted) my opthamologist told me that I am growing cataracts and do not need glasses, except for clos e up work like reading( and putting guns back together ;) ).

I neve r heard of ones eye sight getting better as they get older. Learn something new every day

I used to shoot 25-30 feet. The club I am in now only allows targets over 18" to be shot @ 50 feet..so 50 feet it is .

ZoidMeister and 1911 crazed like this.
  20. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Kudos. I am in awe of those kind of skills

1911 crazed likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted