Old guys, at what distance do you shoot? (hand guns)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZoidMeister, Jul 25, 2020.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    sorry to hear. makes me appreciate my cataract corrected sight

Uncle Bob likes this.
  2. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    as it should be Zoid. you are doing it right.

I stay on the front sight. had to break my self from looking at the target too much

ZoidMeister and rmac like this.

3. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    There may be a happy medium, you just haven't spent the money on them yet. There are 2 ways around most of the sight picture issues. Dedicated shooting glasses with a single dioptic or reverse bi-focals (bi-focals on top). Its just bad form to try and shoot with your head tilted up and usually awkward to boot.

I have problems seeing out to the 25 yard mark myself but having my glasses adjusted to the front site where I need to concentrate makes me a much better shooter. I stay withing an 8" circle at 25yds with most pistols, my 686 with iron sites is within a 6" circle, and red dots are good for 2-1/2" but I have to change out to non magnified glasses for dot use.

Focusing on the front site is ALWAYS what needs to be concentrated on for accuracy. The rest of it is perfect practice, and alot of it.

...Ron

Uncle Bob, 1911 crazed and rmac like this.
  4. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I said “try”

5. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    10 yards is where I do most of my shooting. At 25 I can’t see my holes but I do shoot that distance just to check how I am doing for a couple of mags. I only shoot one hand (both) and two hand unsupported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911 crazed likes this.
  6. Infidel4life11

Infidel4life11 الواحد

Apr 17, 2019
    @ZoidMeister

3y-25y depending on what the task is. 7y-10y on average. When I have the ability I like to shoot steel at 50y-100y

IMO in the sight picture your front sight should be clear and in focus, every else is slightly blurry. Your eye can only clearly focus on one thing. Now as we get older all of this is a little worse. But the fundamental is the same.
    -look at the target, the exact spot you want to hit
    -bring the sights up and align
    -shift focus to the front sight
    -place front sight where you want to hit (same spot as step one)
    -trigger press
    Overly simplified But maybe you can kinda visualize it.

Also the lighting in an indoor can screw with your eye a bit. I usually wear a different pair of glasses as the type of bulb and the shadows give me issues at indoor ranges

7. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2017
    This. Took me a long time to break the habit of focusing on the target. When I finally got in the habit of focusing on the front sight, my shooting greatly improved. Doesn't matter how old you are, target will be out of focus. Turned 60 this year and still start my pistol sessions at 15 yards; move it out to 20-25 yards if I'm having a good day. I never shoot at indoor ranges. Hate them with a passion. Being outdoors is part of the hobby for me.

8. Genes 1911

Genes 1911 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    The 4" plates at 25' is a favorite but recently hen eggs at 25 yards placed on a berm.
    Guess the challenge of near misses with occasional hits is fun.I find paper boring after I've determined zero....especially shooting rifles.

9. Dr Awkward

Dr Awkward Active Member Supporting Addict

Apr 28, 2020
    This thread got me thinking. Thanks Zoid.

I'm new to shooting and waiting on a pistol permit before I start buying handguns. I'm also old (64 yrs). My eyes are probably the limiting factor for iron sight shooting.

I think I'll just equip 'em all with some sort of optical dot sight. My first 1911 is going to be a bullseye gun (Rock River), and I'm figuring to get a S&W model 41, a Sig p210, and a .357 revolver. In this scheme, the 1911 gets a Matchdot, and the rest get a micro reflex red dot (Vortex or C-more).

That kind of sight picture is much less dependent on near/far focus capabilities. The main compromise is aesthetic, but I'm a noob, and less bound by tradition for it; and in the end function trumps looks in my eyes.

For those with red dot experience, does that sound reasonable?

ZoidMeister and Infidel4life11 like this.
  10. Dr Awkward

Apr 28, 2020
    That surgery must have worked! When I shoot .22LR offhand at 4" plates from 50 yards, I use a scoped Kidd 10/22, and don't hit every time. I noticed you said "try", still that's good and ambitious.

boatdoc likes this.
  11. Dr Awkward

Apr 28, 2020
    It does beat the alternative...;)

Mike Meints, boatdoc and 1911 crazed like this.
  12. Infidel4life11

Infidel4life11 الواحد

Apr 17, 2019
    Doc,

I’ve found red dots to be extremely helpful but take more range time to get use to. I seem to be faster getting to know an unfamiliar gun with irons than I am with a dot. But I think they are a very valuable tool especially with our more experienced eyes

boatdoc and Dr Awkward like this.
  13. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    If you can, shoot steel. Bullet hits are more obvious aside from the sound

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Same same, but I break up the routine as much as possible to challenge myself.

15. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Not all competition. IDPA and IPSC use cardboard targets typically without coloring unless it's something to indicate something. If I shoot paper, it's an IPSC ITEM target. Black bullseye are for NRA and CMP rifle matches to me, except on the rare occasion I get my hands on a Giles gun and shoot bullseye

16. djc

djc Active Member

Jul 1, 2013
    What kind of lens implants did you get? I am going in next month and have been wondering what would be best for someone who is a pistol shooter.

boatdoc likes this.
  17. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Where are you? A friend had it done in VA. and it came out very well. BTW used to carry an M3 in the truck with my during my class III days. Loved my IPSC ammo.

18. djc

djc Active Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I am in NM. Not sure on what type of lenses will be best for everyday life plus shooting.
    The M3 was my 24/7 companion for a while. Used old fashioned hardball. I wish I had brought it home with me.

Uncle Bob and 1911 crazed like this.
  19. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Yep, they're great and far more accurate than a Thompson. Sadly the military destroyed a lot of them including the Air Force hold overs that were around for years. M-3s and H&G 68s work great, Thompsons take a small bit of tweaking to get them to work with them. Sorry but I am not a fan of hardball.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for NM.

djc likes this.
  20. goodguywithagun

goodguywithagun Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 30, 2016
    I start out with this target shooting 7 yards.

View attachment 553737

Then I’ll practice on a IDPA target anywhere from 15-25 yards.
    When I’m the only guy there I’ll bust out the shot timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    1911 crazed likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted