Old guys, at what distance do you shoot? (hand guns)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZoidMeister, Jul 25, 2020.

1. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    not corrected yet. the cataracts are actually making my eyes better--for now..

1911 crazed likes this.
  2. Spur1911

Spur1911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2016
    I typically go from 7-10 yards two hands unsupported and throw in some 25 yarders to see if I can hit inner bullseye.

I just updated my prescription and I used progressive bifocals. The new ones made a difference.

1911 crazed likes this.

3. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Silhouette target out to 25 yards. I wear trifocals with lines.

1911 crazed likes this.
  4. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    I start at 10 yards. I use a B24, which is a scaled down center mass from a B27 25-meter silhouette, designed to be used at 50 feet. I finish up at 15 yards, which is bowling pin competition distance of late, and if I can keep them all within the 9 ring, I am happy.

Dr Awkward and rmac like this.
  5. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    As an "old guy" of 63 and near sighted with astigmatism, wearing progressive noline bifocals I always start at 7 yards-can't say why, just an old habit, regardless of semi or revolver. Kind of a warm up. After one mag or cylinder I then begin my timed drills (all in yards) at 3, 5, 7, 10, 12 and finally 15. My timing runs between 2-5 seconds depending on the distance with 3-4 cycles at each distance, 99% of the time I start with my handgun holstered. These are my self defense drills which are what I typically practice.

All of this usually takes about 30 minutes including replenishing my mags. When I'm finished I change from the idpa targets to simple targets with big circles on them and will run them out to 25 yards-the max distance at the range and where I can still see the target LOL.

I'll also use that style target when I just want to have fun and then I usually start at 10 and go out to 20 yards. I then work back to the 10 yard spot stopping at 15 again. I typically run a cycle or two. My group size opens considerably past 15 yards but if I'm keeping them in the center of the target I'm happy. My range is indoor with excellent lighting and all kinds of lighting options at both the shooting position and the target distances.

When I'm in class it's at an outdoor range, wearing my single vision Oakley sunglasses and we shoot from 3-25 yards, sometimes at 50 on a steel plate. We also shoot at a dueling tree from 10 yards in a fun "man vs man" contest at the end strictly for bragging rights haha.

Dr Awkward, ZoidMeister and Uncle Bob like this.
  6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    I'm not in love with dueling plates, but there are just days.... Ed Harris from "Ed's Red" is a wheelgunner... we trade insults regularly... and then it has to happen!! :)

This is at 20 yards and its snowing. I have at least a few years on you! ;)

25yardplates (2).jpg

Doc45 likes this.
  7. 340pd

340pd Active Member

Jul 29, 2020
    A lot at 30' but I work at an indoor range and we have a lot of options with respect to moving targets as long as it is not on public time. A good one is bringing the target home form 75 feet and controlling your shots.

8. TW85

TW85 Active Member

Jan 23, 2017
    Warm up at 3 yards with dot torture, then draw and shoot at 7 (speed for COM hits, or heads shot groups). Then work at 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards.

1911 crazed likes this.
  9. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I'm a 66 year old with bad eyes. I also have small cataracts that are not ready to be removed. A couple of years ago, I started wearing multi focal contacts that have helped my vision drastically, especially when shooting. I have a range in the backyard and shoot paper targets at 7 and 10 yards when working on marksmanship or shooting from a holster draw with a timer. For fun, I shoot steel plates. I have a 6" plate at 10 yds., an 8" plate at 15 yds., a 10" at 25, a 12" at 35, and a 16" at 50. The biggest problem I have is the heat/humidity in the deep south this time of year. Sweating behind my shooting glasses is tougher to deal with than my vision problems.

Dr Awkward and 1911 crazed like this.
  10. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Shoot for accuracy and load testing at 25 yards with revolvers. Semis not so much, usually shoot off hand with 2 hands out to about 20 yards. Mostly 10 to 15 with the semis except for bulls eye guns, 25 and 50 for them.

1911 crazed likes this.
  11. Dangerous

Dangerous New Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I am 49 (for a few more months). I shoot golf balls at 20 yards. Bounce them all over the berm. Accuracy is my goal.
    Sometimes I shoot to ~40 yds on a 7 inch bullseye target. Then I get bigger groups. Yes, I wear glasses. Yes they are for distance focus.

1911 crazed likes this.
  12. LouisianaJoe

LouisianaJoe Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    5.5" Caldwell Orange Peel at 15 yds. I am 75 years old. My favorite revolver is a 1952 vintage K-38 Target Masterpiece. I mostly shoot 148gr HBWC over 2.7gr Bullseye. If I pay attention, I can make most holes touch each other. The first shot in this group is low because I forgot to run a dry patch through the bore before firing. The last 5 shots are touching.

IMG_0203 2.jpg

13. giuseppe pepperoni

giuseppe pepperoni New Member

Jan 30, 2020
    I'm 63 and started having trouble beyond 15 yards about 3 years ago. I do fine at 5,7, 10 and 15, but 25 was a joke. Like you, a big blur.

With a red dot on a 1911, I'm back to putting 23 of 25 in the head of a silhouette at 25 yards. No dot? More like 8-10. I try to do 100 rounds a twice a week - 25 at each 7, 10, 15 and 25 each trip.

This is 50 rounds at 15 yards. 45 to body and 5 to head, timed fire. 1911 with a dot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS - welcome to old age.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Dr Awkward, 1911 crazed and Doc45 like this.
  14. Richard Lawson

Richard Lawson New Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Get an aim point it cures old eyes

1911 crazed and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. Tom Corbett42

Tom Corbett42 Active Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I shoot indoor at about 6-7 meters. I use my computer (arms lingth focus) glases for shooting, I find I need to see the sights, then I find the target (I use 25x36 inch targets). I do ok, I just want to have fun, and know that I can more or less hit the target bull, and next circle out. Maybe we should start including pics of our targets

16. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Let me say I do remember a time when qualifying at 50 yards was mandatory for many departments. Now I'd be asking "what target?" LOL.

ZoidMeister and fieldgrade like this.
  17. Onramp

Onramp Member

Dec 3, 2019
    You might be ready for a red dot sight. I have monovision lenses installed in my eyes (cataract surgery) with my dominant eye good for distance, and the other for close-up. With Iron sights, I can either see the sights or target, but neither one very well. A red dot sight fixed that really well, as I just look at the target thru the sight and pull the trigger when the red dot covers what I want to hit. Love it.

18. Harley B Rider

Harley B Rider Member

Jan 20, 2017
    I’m 71, but fortunate that I still don’t have to wear corrective lenses, though my shooting glasses do have correction for an astigmatism. I sight my guns in at 15 yards on 3” circles, then move to steel plates at 12 yds, 25 yds and 50 yds, with 10” and occasionally 6” plates at 50 yards.

1911 crazed likes this.
  19. hugh10

hugh10 New Member

Feb 28, 2018

20. hugh10

hugh10 New Member

Feb 28, 2018
    At 7 yards it’s pretty much I hand coordination are used to work on that a lot turn on the basement of my house with just a red dot Laser just get used to pointing at an object and then trigger the laser and I’ll show you where your pointed at you just do repeated drills like that you get really good with your eye hand coordination then all you need to do is to concentrate on the target itself and watch where your shot placement is and you can make small corrections to zero in

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted