Old guys, at what distance do you shoot? (hand guns)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZoidMeister, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Hammer

Hammer Member

Oct 9, 2019
    All,
    I'm a retired officer, age 66, and still teach firearms for a San Diego area indoor range (one of two owned by the same gentleman) two days a week. I'm still capable of putting my first shot with someone else's new gun into the X-ring of a B-24 at 7 yards, cold, end haven't missed yet. I wear standard bifocals as I am very particular about peripheral acuity and with progressive ones, as soon as I move my eyes to anywhere else, my vision is blurry; I am also a pilot, so that is a critical factor there as well.

I normally shoot 50 shot groups @ 7 - 10 yards, as I value consistency, and on the S7G target that is much like a B-24 with the 10-zone a green area, and I am unhappy when I shoot lower that 99.6 %, and 100% is not rare.

Hammer

As soon as I get pictures figured out, I'll post a few. As a Fed, my agency discourages using Facebook, Twitter, et al, so I have never been to any of these type of sites. Oh, looks like I got pics figured out...

Attached Files:

1911 crazed likes this.
  2. MGK

MGK Member

Dec 18, 2019

3. MGK

MGK Member

Dec 18, 2019
    I got the same problem, there's no fix according to my optritian, lots of ppl in this situation, she told me to use a scope or a laser ✌️

trga likes this.
  4. GIFS-1911

GIFS-1911 Active Member

Apr 23, 2020
    I consider myself old as I'm on my late 40's and late to the game of gun shooting. Even though I'm a beginner shooter, my ego won't let me try closer than 10 yard distances. This is because I'm coming from archery shooting from 60 to 70 yards without a sight.

5. Anthony_G

Anthony_G New Member

Jul 19, 2020
    I probably average about 7-10 yards when I’m working on defensive distances. I’ve struggled with my eyesight for a couple of years. I really only need reading glasses, but of course with readers I can see my sights and that’s about it. The reading portion of my prescription progressives is so tiny that I have to tilt my head way back to use them. I just got a pair of mid-enhanced progressives that I hope will help. The largest part of the glass is for mid-range focus, with small areas for reading and distance. They’re geared towards computer users, and can’t be worn while driving, but I’m hoping they will be effective at the range.

6. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Here’s my Sunday report. 52 years old wearing readers glasses, 2 hand strong side, unsupported. 7 years shooting pistols.

G22/gen4 .40 cal, Compensated, lightened slide, internals changed, Burris Fast Fire 3 on top, and a Wilson Combat barrel. Its a good combination of used gun and parts that in total was less than $1,000.

Baypu Bullet 165gr. RNFP, 4.0gr. Titegroup, range brass,

4540F7A5-369C-4DEA-90DD-53B20559AC64.jpeg

...Ron

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    boatdoc and Mike Meints like this.
  7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The fix is one of two things

-Shooting a pistol with a red for optic. The dot allows the shooter to fully focus on the threat or target. I prefer this but it dictates a weapon change or a modification to your carry piece.

-Shooting a pistol with top focal bifocal lenses. Cheaper than the above, but if you carry, you won’t have these glasses with you. Not will a threat allow you to swap glasses.

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-assorted-interchangeable-kits

8. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    That's what/how the Green Machine trained me to do in 1964. Pistol 2 days at 25 yds, M14 was 3 weeks at 200, 300, 500 with irons.

And good morning Bender, good to see you.

Dr Awkward likes this.
  9. techiede

techiede Active Member

Oct 30, 2014
    In my 60's and with iron sights am comfortable shooting handgun up to 25 yards. Now at 25 yards it's minute of man :eek:.

For self defense practice I shoot at 7-10 yards with an occasional attempt at further distances. I try for 8" or smaller groups. While I have prescription inserts for my shooting glasses, seeing is only an issue for me beyond 25 yards. The bigger problem is keeping steady.

My indoor range has a movable target system that can can distance and edge vs face on for practice so many of my shots are Mozambique drills when shooting semi-auto's. You have to be able to get off the 3 shots within a few seconds before the target turns back to edge on.

10. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    Usually 7-10 yards. As some of you, older age creeping in. Next eye appt I’ll talk to the Dr about coming up with some type of shooting glasses prescription. As also mentioned, wont have then on if a legit threat happens but at that point, doubt I’ll have issue hitting center of mass.

11. Muffinhumper

Muffinhumper Member

Jul 19, 2020
    I am a pretty good shot usually. My son and I can both shoot pretty consistently at 15 to 20 yards with a gun we are familiar with.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted