1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today to shoot my new Kimber Ultra CDP/Crimson Tide. I also decided to take along my RemingtonRand 1911 which was made in 1944. The old Remington shot perfectly and is just as deadly today as it was almost 70 years ago. As I held the gun at the firing line I thought about where it had been and that perhaps it had saved some G.I.'s life on some God forsaken faraway island. I thought you might like to see the old RR, so:

Bill

·
Banned
450 Posts
do you shoot full power loads in the RR or are you using light handloads?

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To answer the questions, first I shoot what ever ammo I take to the range for the day, but never +P's. The next answer may surprise some of you. I bought the RR 35 years ago as part of a trade. It was a chromed out pimped gangster piece which I bought for 150 dollars. The good news was the piece was almost all original parts. I meet a gunsmith at an M1 Garand show who specializes in de-chroming historic pieces and reparkerizing to original finish. You see the results, I've only had one person to guess it was refinished and recently turned down 1200 dollars for it. I was able to save this historic piece because luckily who ever chromed it didn't buff the detail off of it. I also reclaimed a 1915 Luger but that's another story.
Bill

·
Your ad goes here for $20/month or $200/year
385 Posts
Nice! I recently passed up 5 different WWII models at an auction as I wasn't allowed to take them down to see if everything was all original. 2 Colts, a Remington Rand, a US&S and an Ithica. The Ithica still had the box. All of them went well below full value if they were all original. Kinda kicking myself and kinda not.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll post the luger and tell that story after I dig it out of it's place in the gun safe hotel.
Bill

·
~
246 Posts
Such a beauty! Sir, you really are a very lucky guy!

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I bought a Remington Rand from the DCM about fifty years ago for about twenty bucks. It was like brand new and in the box when I got it. I became interested in bullseye shooting. Since I was newly married had one child and another on the way I did not have much extra cash. I had it made into a bulls eye gun. Was able to take the "X" out of a fifty foot target at fifty feet one handed, those days are long gone.. Funny I took it out of the safe to check it out last night. I was thinking about trying to put it back to original condition.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What would it take to put it back to original?
Bill
I bought a Remington Rand from the DCM about fifty years ago for about twenty bucks. It was like brand new and in the box when I got it. I became interested in bullseye shooting. Since I was newly married had one child and another on the way I did not have much extra cash. I had it made into a bulls eye gun. Was able to take the "X" out of a fifty foot target at fifty feet one handed, those days are long gone.. Funny I took it out of the safe to check it out last night. I was thinking about trying to put it back to original condition.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Sights, GS had to drill a hole for the new target sight at the front of the slide, trigger, grips, MSH. Barrel bushing, refinish to original finish. All other parts are original. Also very tight fit from slide to frame, that would have to be left alone. Barrel was throated for 185 semi wad cutters but it is original.
That's all I can think of now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nothing like a USGI pistol.

1918 Colt 1911, 1944 Remington Rand 1911A1, and 1943 Ithaca 1911A1 (reparkerized)

I even have a 1943 Colt 1911A1 that was converted to a Military Match pistol.

According to Colt Archives, it left the factory with a blued finish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts