1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at an older 05870CS Colt Gold Cup Trophy. This is the model that was released in 2007. It has the enhanced flattened slide and Eliason rear sight. The gun is blued not SS. What are peoples thoughts on these vs 2019 Colts like the Govt Classic 01911C in terms of fit and finish. I know these are 80 series but with a decent trigger job I have found 80 series to be good to go. I prefer the 70 but can live with 80 series guns. What is the current value of these older Gold Cup Trophys?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A: It’s scary that 2007 is considered older.
B: I’d buy that in a heartbeat.
Older is relative. I used the term because Colt reintroduced it with a rounded slide profile and IIRC Bomars style sights. In terms of the history of Colt they are new. :)

What is a fair price?

Reactions: Slapshot

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I think it looks great the fit & finish looks as good as many older Colts.

My new 2011, 1911 has a plastic MSH & trigger but those are
easy to change.

Shoots great no malfunctions, right out of the Blue plastic box.
It's an S80 but I have read enough to understand with a good trigger
job, it makes no difference if its an S70 or a S80 .

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it looks great the fit & finish looks as good as many older Colts.

My new 2011, 1911 has a plastic MSH & trigger but those are
easy to change.

Shoots great no malfunctions, right out of the Blue plastic box.
It's an S80 but I have read enough to understand with a good trigger
job, it makes no difference if its an S70 or a S80 .
What did these things sell for NIB? What did the 2011 set you back.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
What did these things sell for NIB? What did the 2011 set you back.
I do not know what the Gold Cup goes for. The 2011 Government model I bought it at a Swap
meet for $700.00. The seller won 2 of them at the Friends of NRA dinner.

It's just a std Colt Government Model with 100 years of service on the right side
of the slide. I tore it all apart & the fit & finish are really well done. All the small parts
look well made.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not know what the Gold Cup goes for. The 2011 Government model I bought it at a Swap
meet for $700.00. The seller won 2 of them at the Friends of NRA dinner.

It's just a std Colt Government Model with 100 years of service on the right side
of the slide. I tore it all apart & the fit & finish are really well done. All the small parts
look well made.
Recent Colts have been nice. IMHO once they got onto CNC machines the tolerances tightened up. I built a custom on a new 70 Series repro and the results were excellent. Don Williams said it was well built and a solid foundation. We even kept the barrel.

The 2008 time frame was more hit or miss IIRC.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
What is a fair price?
That’s a tough question lately because the market is so soft. Fair price I guess around 1K in today’s market, maybe a little higher to the right guy. I’ve seen guns here that would have sold in the first 5 minutes for 20% more a year or two ago sit unsold. Maybe @ Karl Beining could shed more light on its current value.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,451 Posts
Recent Colts have been nice. IMHO once they got onto CNC machines the tolerances tightened up. I built a custom on a new 70 Series repro and the results were excellent. Don Williams said it was well built and a solid foundation. We even kept the barrel.

The 2008 time frame was more hit or miss IIRC.

Well that should be part of your answer cause rarely are the older colt barrels kept in a mid to upper tier build.. I have a few in the shop and it seems the older ones were very hit or miss on slide to frame and barrel fit.

While the newer models have been much more consistent. However, I have recently happened across an older 38 super cmdr.. and a large letter 9mm that were fit quite well considering the time frame. My guess in cost $700-$850 depending on over all condition but, hey it's definitely a buyers market.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I bought one in 2011 that was made in 2010 at a LGS. It was about $750. The fit and finish was great and it came with box, papers, two mags, etc. I replaced the rubber wrap around grips with some wood stocks I ordered off the Colt website back when you could order them there.

I thought the last year for the blued GCT was 2011 but on another forum a fellow said he bought one new in 2013 and on calling Colt they said it was made in 2013. Every now and then I see one in a LGS and down here in the SW they are in the $700-800 range if in nice shape.

One problem on value is one is running into the newer models. Below a GCNM MkIV Series 70 and a GCT both made in 2015. I bought the GCNM new in 2015 for about $1K and the GCT from a friend in early 2016 who wanted money for a nice scope for his precision rifle. With the GCT I got to field strip it and put a couple hundred rounds through it and then we agreed on $800. Of course it had the box etc. Also these new ones don't have the Ellison rear sight or the tenon mount front sight.

Now I see nice examples of GCNMs and GCTs used in nice shape like these in the $800-900 area with box etc.

Now GCTs can be valuable. They were introduced in 1997 and for about the first year or so they were made in the Colt Custom Shop and had a number of non Colt parts. One thing that is obvious is a number had the Kings barrel bushing. Also for a year or so the SS ones also had the flat top and those tend to be more valuable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.