Olympic Arms Constable. Finally!

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by FullCaliber, Dec 13, 2011.

1. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Well I went into Mary's Pistols (Tacoma, WA) today, with the intention of looking at a Springfield 1911 in 9mm. However, as soon I walk in, I find the most beautiful 1911 sitting in the case... Olympic Arms Constable, brand spanking new. I've only ever seen these online, never held one. I couldn't pass it up... it came home with me. I've wanted one for a long time, ever since seeing a picture of one. The case-hardening is amazing. My pictures however are not amazing :) Enjoy.
    My Guns 001aa.jpg My Guns 003aa.jpg

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Case hardened finish?

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    very interesting.. I like it.. Cheers.. Ron

4. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Yes, it is color case hardened, just like in the good ole days. (www.olyarms.net)

5. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I've had bad experiences with Oly Arms AR15's but have heard NOTHING but good stuff about their 1911's.

It's like there's 2 completely different companies with the same name.:der:

I'm intrigued,show some targets after a range session.

DAT85

ps:please?

6. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    I will take it to the range tomorrow and put in work :) I will let you know.

7. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    :grin:

You probably will make a lot of us jealous with some great pics!

DAT85

8. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Well... that didn't go as I had imagined. I put 150 rounds of Winchester 230 grain FMJ through the gun. The gun failed to go into battery at least twice on every magazine (Wilson Combats). I had to push it forward sometimes, or just drop the magazine and clear the round. With the slide locked back and a loaded magazine inserted, it failed to chamber a round. It would push it partially in, but not all the way. As you can imagine, I was less than pleased.
    When it was cycling correctly, it was very nice. The gun handles/points nicely and is plenty accurate for my skill level.
    Once in the range parking lot, I called Olympic Arms. Much to my surprise, after the initial call was answered, I was immediately transfered to their lead 1911 gunsmith. I described the issue and he told me it was the Winchester white box ammo. Said he had heard of issues with this ammo, casing, weight, etc. He advised me to fire more rounds with different ammunition; if the problem persists, to call him again and determine if it there is a different problem.
    By no means am I a 1911 pro. This is my 4th one- two Springfields, a Sig, and this beautiful Olympic. I have fired hundreds of rounds of the same Winchester ammo through these other guns with no issue. Needless to say, I am not convinced its just the ammunition and not something else (guessing the recoil spring set-up?). I'll get some range time in next week I imagine, with new ammo. Time will tell.
    ...and I still say its beautiful. No pictures from the range- wasnt in the photo taking mood :)

9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Oil it VERY well, run another 200 rounds through it.

10. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    Please take a clear close up picture of what it looks like jammed up.

11. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    A rule of thumb when I buy a used 1911 is to replace the recoil spring as well as the firing pin spring before I hit the range,

Go online to Wolff http://www.gunsprings.com/Resources/welcomeNOF.html Get some new springs,their cheap.

In the case of 9mm 1911's,my experience has been to get a good mag.My Les Baer P II in 9mm was worthless until I got Wilson ETM mags.

9MM 1911's can be finicky,but once you get them sorted out,they run like champs.

DAT85

12. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    I appreciate the advice BUT I bought this gun brand spanking new... which is why I was/am frustrated. I used several Wilson Combat mags, which have never caused problems on my Springfields. I will post a picture of the unique recoil spring set-up for you tomorrow. I've never seen one like it.

13. DAT85

Aug 26, 2011
    Wow,you actually found a new one? :jaw:

I haven't heard of any recent production OLY 1911's !
    I would give the factory a call and discuss the issue directly with them.Please post pics of the recoil spring system at your earliest convience.I was unaware of any guide rod system being used on their guns.

DAT85

14. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    The pictures of the jam: Federal Premium HST 230 grain, fed from a Wilsom Combat magazine.
    OA Constable 002aa.jpg OA Constable 018aa.jpg OA Constable 003aa.jpg OA Constable 005aa.jpg OA Constable 008aa.jpg

15. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Great looking gun. I had a Colt one time that jammed the exact way. The breech face had to be polished...

16. FullCaliber

FullCaliber New Member

Oct 12, 2011
    I called Olympic Arms again today, told them problem persisted even with two different types of ammo, and they said bring it on in. I drove the gun down this afternoon- benefit of living near the company that made your gun. I was met by their head 1911 gunsmith. I explained the problem and he inserted a loaded magazine... and it failed to feed the round correctly. Looked exactly like the above picture(s).
    The gunsmith told me to wait and he walked into his shop with the gun. A short time later, he returns and tells me it should be good to go. He measured this, spec'd that, etc. then put 9 hollow points through it without problem. I left with the gun in hand, for free... always a bonus.
    When I got home, I chambered a few rounds of Federal HST rounds without problem so fingers are crossed! I won't be able to shoot it for several days, but I will report what happens.

17. TJC357

TJC357 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 18, 2011
    Keep us posted,I realy like that finish.

18. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    So what did he do?

19. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    That was a bit of luck. Hope it works out for you...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted