One Handed Shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blayglock, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    In practicing for my up coming class at Inpax I discovered that if I cant the gun at a slight angle say 35 degrees I seem to be able to shoot more accurately both strong hand and support hand. Not at the extreme 90 degree gangsta angle like Hokie shoots, just a slight cant. Anyone else do this?

2. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    that is the natural angle of your arm when raised D. Hold you arms to your sides in a relaxed manner. When you raise them at the shoulder, your palm turns downward (pronation). Turning the palm medial to your center line while raising the arm (supination) is an unnatural motion.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I only cant if I'm shooting a Glock...which is never... :lol:

4. butcher 50

butcher 50 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    I have had the same experience, especially with my weak hand.

5. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
  6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes, this is well known in USPSA, you see people doing it all of the time, especially with weak-hand only shooting.

7. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Same here, that way the sights line up with my dominate eye without having to turn my head.

8. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Okay its not just me then. Winning!!!!!

Now if someone knows where the heck this sample I have might have come from Im in real good shape. It is n-butylamine-based fatty acid amides and it is where it should not be.

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Do you guys use the dominate eye when shooting weak hand??? I switch to the weak eye.. Ron

10. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
  11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    SO, I'm not the only one.. LOL.. We need to explore weak hand shooting.. Good thread.. The arm is more natural at a cant, as Jason points out, but I've never tried canting the sight picture. I can see how it might improve my (poor) grip and possibly control the muzzle rise to the right that I get (weak hand).. Ron

12. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Switch eyes myself. Some people can't do that though. I can shoot a rifle off either shoulder to kill deer but some of my buddies tried and just couldn't do it.

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Sometimes when shooting the bullseye drills in which you switch hands, I'll switch to my weak eye for the weak hand section and forget to switch back. Funny thing is I can shoot pretty good that way.. Just puts a crick in my neck.. LOL.. Ron

14. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Dominant. I can line up the sights quick and easy with my dominant (right) eye in either hand. Takes me too long to do so with the left eye.

15. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Not a good shot weak-handed though no matter what eye. Hell I can't hardly jack-off w/ my left hand.

16. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    In a few of the classes I've taken, we have been taught to let the gun take a natural cant when shooting with one hand. I dont practice enuff with weakhand shooting, but when I do it, I use my dominant eye.

The thing that I find hard is mag changes shooting weak hand. It's something I need to practice more, along with racking the slide one handed and unholstering weakhanded from a strongside holster.

claire

17. butcher 50

butcher 50 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    :pound: Keep at it, you'll get it right!

18. butcher 50

butcher 50 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Same for me.

19. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I typically practice shooting with both eyes open and do quite well. It's good to practice this way IMO in case of a SD situation

20. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I use my dominant eye, too (I'm cross-dominant: right handed, left eye [strongly]). The only time I have trouble is when working barricades - if I'm shooting a barricade with my right hand, I'll wink out my left eye.

I also prefer a very slight cant, with either hand, when shooting one-handed. I've tried going with the straight up-and-down, with the reasoning being that I should be more used to that sight-picture - but I find that I default to a slight cant when under stress.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted