One piece recoil rod.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Helderberg, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Helderberg

Helderberg New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Would someone explain what the deference is between the different recoil set ups? I have a solid and have read that this is the "worst"?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Frank.

2. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    If your talking about, Guide rods Ill make the attempt. Gi is a small rod with spring with a closed cap, easy to take down. 2 piece full length is A REAL PIA. It will unscrew as you fire. One piece full length makes it alittle trickier to take down however alittle practice it becomes easy.

3. Pappy

Pappy New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    You are correct...the GI is the best of all the choices. Full length guide rods are made to extract $$$$ from your pocket and into the manufacturers. That said, some people like the looks of the full length or feel it adds a little weight to the muzzle. Really not necessary...

4. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Guess it's all a matter of opinion and depends largely on the purpose of the gun.

5. Mechanized

Sep 24, 2011
    I have a one piece FLGR.

6. Helderberg

Helderberg New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I should have included this from the start, I just bought my first 1911. It is a S&W enhanced and has a one pc rod. I have been shooting S&W M&P's in 45 and 9. These have a very simple break down compared to what I am reading in the manual and here for my 1911. I feel I am in over my head with this gun but want to learn the right things to do as opposed to just owning and not knowing. I apologize for my total ignorance of the platform but I am determined to learn. I have always loved this gun from afar and do not want to be just an "owner". Thanks for any help and your patience.
    Be safe, Frank.

7. Mechanized

Sep 24, 2011
    Everyone including all the big name gunsmiths were there once. You gotta start somewhere. There are great videos showing you how to break it down. Ask questions frequently thats what were here for.

8. Helderberg

Helderberg New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Thank you, I really appreciate this.
    Frank.

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
  10. mrdemal

mrdemal New Member

Oct 3, 2011
    I have all my 1911's with FLGR. Just Personal choice. Many post they are the worst but the gun videos that I have seen of Doug K, and Rob Latham all have FLGR in their 1911's.

11. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Well heck kid, no one was born knowing everything, so you gots to ask. The one piece rod (OPR) was "suppost" to keep the recoil spring rod from kinking. Yeah, right. And Glocks don't blow up and ARs don't foul! The next "reason" (after the first was laughed out of there) was to add weight up front. Mmmmmm....maybe, but I never noticed any real difference when shooting. The REAL, real reason is looks and to make money for the people pushing them. Period.

Personally I don't especially care for them. The Kimber and Taurus I bought had one piece rods, so I put in two piece rods (TPR) which I do kind of like, mainly for looks (See! See! Guide rod like the expensive guns! Aren't I cool?!). Never had one unscrew when firing, but don't doubt it happens. When I carry for real, and not play at the range, I take the front piece out because if the gun jams (and I have had it happen!) and you can't clear it, you can usually put the recoil spring plug on a hard surface (table top, wall corner) and slam it open (which I have needed to do). You can't do that with a OPR. OPR bad, TPR OK, but not needed except for show. And that is the long and the short of it.

12. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I have a full length 2 piece. It comes unscrewed, so after a range visit I take a screwdriver out of my bag and tighten it.

I do plan to replace it with a GI style for two reasons. First, looks. I like the cap more than the hole with a flathead screw slot. Second, ease of takedown.

I've noticed no performance difference between the two.

13. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I have 2 1911's out of 8 with FLGR's,both solid 1 piece.

To be honest,back when I started playing around with semi-custom and custom 1911's(1994-950),you were considered a tool if you DIDN'T have one on your 1911.

Now,I find them to be a PITA that brings nothing to the table when it comes to reliability or accuracy.It taught me a lesson about fads in the firearms community.:rolleyes2:

DAT85

14. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Like Joe said, "Guess it's all a matter of opinion and depends largely on the purpose of the gun." For a pure combat gun an FLGR should not be used IMHO. I find it amusing when this reasoning comes from shooters who need a barrel wrench to turn their bushing and an allen wrench to get the grips off to field strip their weapon.
    As far as fads go, I see the rush back to the GI style as a fad too, pushed by marketing. It seems like it's right at the top of the list of things to change as soon as you get the box home from the LGS. It's cooler to press check it with a plug etched with the likeness of your favorite branch of service, or comic book avenger. This is just what I have observed, fwiw. The FLGR does keep the spring from making contact with the dust tunnel in alloy frames. When a heavy spring takes a set in a LW Commander the spring can start to rub a groove. Rare, but a reason to consider a FLGR. Another reason is convenience for those that have conversion kits. A slide with a FLGR stays in one piece when switching to another caliber and can be slid back on quickly without hassle. A tiny drop of clear fingernail polish will keep a two piece from unscrewing.

15. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I just switched my DW PM7 over to a GI set-up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I switched out the FLGR to a Ed Brown short guide rod and Wilson Combat plunger.
    [​IMG]

Personally, I like the GI set up better for take-down purposes. The update made zero effect on accuracy or function. I see no real advantage to the FLGR.

deadite

16. Helderberg

Helderberg New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Thanks all for your response. I have been to the range now with a couple hundred rounds now through my S&W. I am no where near as accurate as the gun and it has been flawless. The 45 1911 is addictive and unfortunately can be expensive. This is a ball to shoot and I could not be happier I bought this gun. Thanks for all you support on this site and I will try to search before asking questions that have been covered before.
    Be safe, Frank.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted