One Rifle To Rule Them All!

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Blayglock, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    A fun thought experiment: if you had one rifle, and it had to be your all-around game getter for the next decade, what would you get or build? Remember, all situations, all game you hunt, only 1 rifle. I'm interested to see where and what you compromise.

2. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    What I already have a Winchester M 70 in .270. To hunt anything from rabbits to deer or bigger I would get a .12 ga. pump.

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I just a Visa... it can bag me all the game I need at Kroger!

Sorry, no real help. I do like a good 12 GA for the most versatile of options.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Armalite AR10-T

[​IMG]

5. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I'll second the AR10.

6. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer New Member

Nov 27, 2011
  7. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    Either the M1-Garand or an H&K PSG-1.. leaning more toward the PSG-1 tho..

8. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I'd go with this one. 260 Remington

[​IMG]

I wouldn't mind having an AR10 though... but I guess I'm just an old school kind of guy. :biggrin1:

[​IMG]

9. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I like short actions, so mine would be a 7mm/08 built on a Winchester M70 controlled feed action. I love the simple trigger, easy to dis-assemble bolt, and three position safety.

10. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    I can't hunt with semi autos in PA. Mine is actually a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08 with the Zeiss I just bought from Wade. I will change the stock.

11. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    A GAP .308 with an 18 inch barrel in a Manners MCS-T . Basically just like the rifle I sold a couple of months ago, but with a lighter contour barrel.
    [​IMG]

12. SatCong

SatCong Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
  13. RaginCajun

RaginCajun Got Guns, Got Freedom Supporting Addict

Oct 20, 2011
    She ain't nothing special, but I gotta go with with my old school pre Accu-trigger Savage 110 in 30-06. She ain't done me wrong yet.
    [​IMG]

14. M1911a1lvr

M1911a1lvr New Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Well if i was stuck with just one rifle to do everything, i would choose my .30 Cal M1 Garand. with 5 shot clips i can hunt with it here in Vermont. And 8 rnd clips i can do a good job of personal and home defense. Plus .30-06 Sprg can be found anywhere.

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      184.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Bender

Aug 15, 2011

You can not SAFELY use off the shelf .30'06 ammunition in a Garand.

16. M1911a1lvr

M1911a1lvr New Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Well in a pinch you can, but not a steady diet of it. But then when you have the right gas plug installed to allow the use of off the shelf ammo it's okay. I have fired all types of .30-06 off the shelf ammo, if you stay within the 150 - 165 grn range, in the lighter non-specialty loads you can shoot it safely. I have owned this M1 since 1995 and have put 1000's of rounds through her. At the 5000 rnd mark i had it magna-fluxed to have it checked for metal fatigue. Guess what no cracks found......

17. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Ok,.......it's YOUR operating rod. Many documented failures with off the shelf ammo.
    Please keep this in mind before recommending this to others.......

My Garnand, been shooting a CMP issued Garand since 1993, has NEVER gotten
    any commercial ammo, without using a modified gas plug or Schuster's gas plug.

Not trying to start a pissin match, just a bad idea to put VERY poor info out.
    Do some more research,......for your safety if nothing else!

18. M1911a1lvr

M1911a1lvr New Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Oh i understand what you are saying, but i'm not recommending this to anyone. All i'm stating is that mine hasn't suffered from it. It has been a very reliable Gun, it is a Korean war vintage gun. A gunsmith by the name of TV O'Malley did a lot of the work on it when i was at Ft Bragg, Back in 95' when i bought it. Plus having been USN/USA trained as a unit armorer i am not unfamiliar with how the maintenance and repair of it goes. Thanks for the concern though.

19. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Browning A-Bolt 30-06 Mag-Na-Port 013.jpg

This old scarred, scratched, dented, & dinged Browning lefty A-Bolt in '06(Magnaported) has been serving well for 20+ years. Expect it to still be going strong when I'm cremated.

Bob

20. Blayglock

Aug 18, 2011
    Here is mine thanks to the good deal I got from Wade on the Zeiss:

[​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted