close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Open carry silliness - Kimber's advertising budget pays off

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by WC145, Jul 2, 2017.

1. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I open carry fairly often around home, I live in a rural area and have a small farm so it's convenient when I'm working outside and that always turns into errands here and there so I'm at the grocery or hardware store, etc with a gun on my belt on a regular basis. Yesterday we went to the big city:rolleyes: (Ellsworth, ME pop 8000+/-) to get hay at the feed store, some stuff at Tractor Supply and make a WalMart run. I was open carrying the Alchemy 'Hand of Doom' Springfield in a Safariland ALS holster.

So, I'm walking around WalMart, checking ammo stock and such and a young guy walks past me and says, "Nice .45, Kimber?". I said, "Thanks, not a Kimber". And he replies, "Yeah, they're too expensive to carry, huh?". I opened my mouth to explain what I was carrying then realized how long it would take and how futile it would be and just said, "Yeah, that's it.... Take it easy." I thought it the exchange was kind of funny.

2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 19, 2015
    Lmao!

My first 1911 was a Kimber Tactical Custom II. I can tell you that I bit hard at Kimber's Advertising. Didn't know much about 1911's back then, but a Desert Warrior was my second.
    Those are long now.
    A lot of the guys around me still believe that Kimber's are the best of the best and the most expensive 1911 out there.

IMHO, they aren't bad guns. I have a Stainless Ultra II with Rogers Golfballs that's being worked over by Nighthawk and should be done very soon. In the end, the Kimber/Rogers/Nighthawk will be the most expensive 1911 currently in my stable.

Cyborg11, jw perry, EXFI and 9 others like this.

3. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Smart choice! :laugh:

OD*, 1911_E1, boatdoc and 10 others like this.
  4. nnylf7

nnylf7 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    OP that is a funny story!

I followed the exact same path. Had a Kimber Pro II or Ultra II with some customization done to it. Honestly at the time I couldn't even tell you what was done to it or who did the work, I just thought it was a good 1911. Then I too "moved up" to a Desert Warrior lol. Sold that one to my buddy who promptly broke the thumb safety.. I mean the thing sheared in half. Got an MC Operator, then my first semi-custom - a NH Talon which I still have - and I haven't looked back since!

5. ImperialBlade

ImperialBlade Armed with my opinion and not afraid to use it.

Aug 22, 2015
    Friends don't let friends carry Kimbers.

Dr.Lou, parabellum, jfrey and 12 others like this.
  6. 1911wheelsnomore

1911wheelsnomore 1911ADDICT Supporting Addict

May 12, 2015
    My first 1911 was a Kimber jam o matic.
    So I agree they are too expensive to carry. :p

Dub, ZoidMeister, JDNY65 and 7 others like this.
  7. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Funny story. I've never owned a Kimber, have shot some though. Wasn't impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WC145, Kip and 1911wheelsnomore like this.
  8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things! Supporting Addict

Nov 18, 2014
    My first 1911 was a Kimber also but I went the safer route, just a standard custom II that I still have and really like! I now have Les Baer, Colt, Knighthawks and Wilsons as well as others but still like my first one!!

WC145 and Jollyroger1 like this.
  9. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Hey, at least the guy recognized a 1911... I always get a kick out of my friends who are not as much into guns try to rack the slide on a 1911 to check if it is loaded or not. They forget about the safety almost every time. Or ask why I carry it with the hammer cocked... ;)

Jollyroger1, WC145 and Kip like this.
  10. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    I think that Kimber once made a good quality 1911. But then they ramped up production...

Dub, Jollyroger1, WC145 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I've owned many Kimbers and have never had any issues. I've always said I think it's a numbers game with them, as they produce more 1911's than several other companies combined. Either way, to each his own.
    But I do get a kick when having gun discussions at work and 1911's come up. I always admit that I'm a 1911 junkie and am in pretty deep on them. A lot of times the response is, "Oh, so you must have some Kimbers?" :)

Cyborg11, mdell49, Rinspeed and 6 others like this.
  12. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2015
    You can try and explain it, but you can not understand it for them.

13. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    Haha, yeah, I was picking up my BP semi-custom when one of the local codgers looks over at it and says "1911 huh? I got a KIMBER!" he said it with such pride I just smiled and nodded.

Kip, gun_fan111, WC145 and 1 other person like this.
  14. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Great replies, thanks!! Yeah, I was surprised he said anything, no one ever acknowledges that I'm carrying. Kimbers are wicked popular around here, the local S.O. even issues them to the full time deputies, lots of folks here see them as the pinnacle of 1911 development. Of course, most have never shot a 1911, let alone a Kimber or anything else. I've shot some but haven't owned one, mostly on principle, all those ads and the bazillion different models just bug the sh!t out of me!! That and hearing about the issues so many have had, never mind the problems the S.O. and some friends have had with some of theirs.

OD*, Kip, Raylan Givens and 2 others like this.
  15. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 23, 2014
    WC145, I know exactly how you feel. I was at the club shooting a chromed Baer lower with a Nelson .22 upper and one of the club members asked if I was shooting one of those "GSG 22s". He is a nice guy though so I explained to him what it was. I was just as clueless about 1911s just short five years ago...

Babboonbobo, Dons1911, Kip and 4 others like this.
  16. jrj

jrj Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2016
    I think there was a point many of us were that clueless. That being said, my brother-in-law was all about Kimber last time we talked about handguns. I assume it's mostly due to their advertising. Knowing what I know now, I just don't see the appeal. There are so many options and Kimber just doesn't do much to stand out.

WC145, Kip, Glock2740 and 1 other person like this.
  17. azguy1911

azguy1911 Active Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Well, I've had an 9mm Ultra Aegis for 4 years and 6,000 plus rounds through it without a single failure and it's my daily carry. I also have 9mm Ultra and 9mm CDP II and neither of those have ever had a failure, so.....

Honestly, I think most people have issues cause they either run them to dry, want to save $2 and run 115s rather than 124s or have shitty break-in routines. And, oh, I use kimber mags in all of them too-

Cyborg11, Babboonbobo, WC145 and 3 others like this.
  18. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire Supporting Addict

Apr 12, 2016
    Good ads do pay off,and THEY say it's good!!!
    Plus any idiot can print a name on a slide,cursive gives you a star!!!!
    Never had one but you can see the influence just in the "haters".
    Think a lot goes into how you care for it like az just posted.

WC145 and jrj like this.
  19. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I have never owned one of those things but I have read enough bad to say that it one was on sale at a really great price you look favorably to an RIA and see what it took to get it to run.

Real Owner Feed Back goes a long way and those honest enough to say I got rid of it.

Just sayin.

Karsten

WC145 and Kip like this.
  20. mikegalway

mikegalway DILLIGAF Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Owned and own plenty of Kimbers . No issues .

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted