close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Open Carry

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Colt 45, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Colt 45

Colt 45 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Does anyone here open carry?

Here in southern New Mexico, I open carry quite a bit. It is actually quite accepted here, although I do get a look every now and again. Something about a cocked and locked 1911 makes people do a double-take. My wife open carries occasionally as well. It is precious to see guys "sizing" her up and then see her pistol!

Max

2. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Personally, I have always prefered concealed carry in the city, but open carry when in the desert shooting or bird hunting.

Blue Ridge likes this.

3. diesel44

diesel44 NRA LE Handgun Instructor

Sep 26, 2011
    Open carry here in Wisconsin gets looks and calls to the police quite often and sometimes a disorderly conduct ticket. 11/1 opens a new era here as CCW comes into effect.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    WHen I was last in the SW, I saw OC everywhere.. Ron

5. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    They don't allow it in TX but do here in PA where I moved. I have not yet. I live in an upscale suburb and know I would freak out the soccer moms. I'm used to carrying concealed and prefer it anyways. I will OC when I hunt but I've always done that anyway.

6. Civilwarguy

Civilwarguy New Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I OC all the time and have never had the cops called just a few wierd looks and i know a lot of people who pen carry as well its actually pretty well excepted minus the two big M's Milwaukee and Madison. I dont really have a preference open vs. concealed carry each has thier pros and cons. In fact even after i get my permit for CC I am sure i will still OC about half te time

7. diesel44

diesel44 NRA LE Handgun Instructor

Sep 26, 2011
    Yeah. I live in the biggest M. Milwaukee. That's why OC gets strange looks and calls.

8. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    OC is legal here as well. I just choose not to, I much prefer to blend in than stand out, that and the crime rate here is almost non existent.. So very much unlike where I lived last..

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    It's legal here too. But I just don't want the attention.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Same. Not worth it IMO.

11. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'd like to do it but probably wouldn't as I don't like attention from others.

12. crlovel

crlovel New Member

Sep 4, 2011
    As others have said, it's legal here in PA, I know many who do, but it's not for me. I don't care for the extra attention, nor do I care to talk to people I don't know. However, I do tend to not care about printing, and usually just have a t-shirt barely covering a full-size 1911 or full-size XD45 on a belt holster. Casually, someone might not notice at a glance, but it's often impossible to not see that I have a gun if you really look.

Tex1911 likes this.
  13. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    ^ that pretty much sums it up for me

14. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I used to OC in Arizona when I lived there. I was young and thought is was cool. I prefer to ccw now. Funny little law here in The great state of Nebraska. Oc is legal until you receive your ccw. Then You are not allowed to OC.

Glock2740 and Blue Ridge like this.
  15. deadguy

deadguy Jim Nabors Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    no OC for me. I prefer laying low.

Glock2740 likes this.
  16. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    That's weird. I've never been to NE, is it otherwise firearm friendly.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  17. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    It's rated three out of five stars for "gun-friendly" Omaha sucks, you have to register every handgun with the P.D. I live just outside of douglas county and do not have to register. Other than that its fairly gun friendly. As long as I have a purchase permit I can purchase as many guns as I want with no wait.

18. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Legal here, and do not do it. Unless I am on my land or hunting

Glock2740 likes this.
  19. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Nebraska is pretty much very gun friendly. Heck, you can even hunt any game animal that it is legal to kill with a rifle with a silencer! Even deer! Now that is cool...

But yes, as Jake said, if you have the CCW, no OC for you...now, that being said, I OCed for years in GA and wouldn't probably go back to it again...you get too many looks and gasps, etc. The point of carrying a gun for me is to be prepared with bad news strikes. I don't want the bad news to know I'm prepared in advance.

salelcid, Glock2740 and Blue Ridge like this.
  20. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Legal in Colorado, but in some places, the hastle is so great it isnt worth doing.

claire

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted