1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had it here in Texas for two years I think. But I was wondering do you see a lot of people open carrying? I haven't so much as seen one here. Or really anywhere for that matter. I did hear a lot of garbage right before the law went into effect, all the usual fear mongering from bed wetters. How about you?

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,453 Posts
I don’t live in Texas but spend about a week a month here (currently at San Antonio airport about to fly out).
I’ve seen maybe 3 OC’ers in the last year. Maybe it’s just not as prevalent in the bigger cities I work/stay in, but I’m not seeing much.
Saw a LOT more when I lived in MI. Fairly common sight in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and other areas of western MI.

Reactions: UBOATDOC and miketx

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,453 Posts
Duplicate

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't see it too often here in Colorado, don't know why anyone would want to draw attention to the fact that they are armed.
I agree, don't make sense to me. You gotta have the chl license anyway so why advertise? I'd rather see the infringement of having to have a license go away and just honor the right.

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,638 Posts
When I was a working stiff with work dress attire to conform to, I mostly pocket carried a Sig P238. I’ve been retired for the last two-half years, so it’s blue jeans and shirt tail out cover garment for the most part. Technically carry OWB but covered by the shirt or light jacket (etc.). Just more comfortable for me personally, than IWB. And of course, allowed me to step up to a .45, if so desired. Don’t see many OC’ers around the DFW Metroplex. Lots of places allow 30.06 (concealed carry) but a lot of posted 30.07 (open carry) businesses prohibit it - usually very public places like restaurants, etc.

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
3,316 Posts
When I lived in New Mexico, saw some OC a couple times. One was a rancher who had come into town...no big deal.....the other was sort of self absorbed bad ass biker type wearing a Glock 17 OC outside his leather biker vest at Harbor Freight.....did not look like an intelligent choice to me. I am with Clint Smith on this.

·
Banned
821 Posts
I plan on open carrying when I move to AZ. I just find it much more comfortable and allows me to carry a larger gun that I'm more comfortable shooting. From what I've heard, while not as common as concealed, it's not uncommon in AZ. There's pros and cons to both. On one hand, people know you have a gun if you oc, but that could also serve as a deterrent. Being in CA currently, I can only open carry my Kabar, but it has definitely deterred people more than a few times that I could tell. Honestly though, you just need to be more aware of your surroundings if you carry openly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I see approximately one or two per year. The last one was at the grocery store in line at the register. The rule we have at the house, we don't talk about guns in public. My son who was about six at the time is intently staring at the gentlemen and then looks back at me a few times. As I nodded approval to ask the question he wanted, he says, Dad, that guy has a gun. My response to him was, buddy, that isn't a gun, that is a Glock.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Every now and then here in Utah I see a few...One walked into the PO with one on his side....Which is a big No No. Now and then I spot one (holster exposed under a jacket.....Maybe a No No....Semi Concealed?

Then the other day I walked in behind a guy with a cheap belt, nylon thumb break holster canted backward like anyone could grab it......I watched out for that guy:bored:

No one around these parts is packin AR's that I have seen.

Karsten

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I plan on open carrying when I move to AZ. I just find it much more comfortable and allows me to carry a larger gun that I'm more comfortable shooting. From what I've heard, while not as common as concealed, it's not uncommon in AZ. There's pros and cons to both. On one hand, people know you have a gun if you oc, but that could also serve as a deterrent. Being in CA currently, I can only open carry my Kabar, but it has definitely deterred people more than a few times that I could tell. Honestly though, you just need to be more aware of your surroundings if you carry openly.
Reaper...you folks can open carry Kabars?? Are there any legal limits on blade length? Where I am we have blade length limits and no OTF (out the front) knives allowed...

never saw OC in the Nutmeg State...yet

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Banned
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reaper...you folks can open carry Kabars?? Are there any legal limits on blade length? Where I am we have blade length limits and no OTF (out the front) knives allowed...

never saw OC in the Nutmeg State...yet
Here in Texas we can carry swords. Don't know why you would though. Funny I heard a call on my radio about the police needed to respond to a guy walking down the road carrying a machete. The cop asked the dispatcher what he was doing with the machete, and she said the caller said he was just walking down the street! lol. I hear all kinds of stupid calls like that, my favorite being ...a caller reported a suspicious person walking down her street. officer asked what he was doing and was told...wearing a black jacket and a hat. lol.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.