Opinion Questions regarding Guncrafter 1911's

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by BCD 45, Aug 27, 2019.

1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Hey guys & gals,

First let me say that I don't own a Guncrafter 1911, never handled one, and never shot one. I have a used GI 38 Super in the works but I've never seen anything but the pictures so I'm still in the dark. I've been thinking of buying a new GI Commander in 9mm and would like some opinions about Guncrafter firearms.

How are the Guncrafter's in build quality compared to the big three, NH, WC, & EB? If you've owned & shot a GI, would you purchase another one? Are there any downsides to the Guncrafter excluding price? How do they shoot compared to the big 3, accuracy, smoothness, & function? Speaking of function, are there any reliability issues with different models?

One of my main concerns/questions is about the 15 LPI checkering on the front strap & backstrap. Compared to the 25 or 30 LPI that others offer on their firearms, is the 15 LPI on the GI overly aggressive? Does it hurt your hands to shoot 200-300 rounds without gloves on?

I will appreciate any comments or opinions on Guncrafter's or of GI's in comparison to other quality 1911 firearms. Your thoughts, comments, & opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to all of you addicts and have a safe wonderful week & BUY MORE GUNS!

BTW, I wanted to add this, if you have anything else that you'd like to add, on or off subject, the firing line is open & clear!

BCD 45

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    salelcid, usmc_k9_vet and JM44 like this.
  2. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I have more than one . I would say they're pretty hard to beat for quality and function . Excellent value !
    Issues ? Likely as not you won't have any but , lifetime guarantee takes care of that .
    The 15 lpi was a concern of mine too ….initially . I don't notice it at all . I shoot my Guncrafter usually twice a week , between 100 -300 rounds per session.
    Just my .02

3. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’ve had one and sold it to buy something else, but it was great. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.

simonp likes this.
  4. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    The GIs I own are on par with the WCs and NHCs I own.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  5. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I just felt that I needed to ask some questions before shelling out almost 4 grand. Thank ya'll a bunch.

BCD 45

usmc_k9_vet and simonp like this.
  6. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    Not much difference between the big 3
    In fact I would rank them
    NHC
    GI
    Wilson
    That's just one man's opinion.

SCS1911 likes this.
  7. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    The quality Guncrafter is putting out is unbeatable in the semi-custom arena. Nighthawks can be just as good, but quality control over at GI is much better.

DRD, Raylan Givens, FWoo45 and 3 others like this.
  8. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I liked my GI NN bobtail commander 45acp so much I bought the matching 9mm to go with it, and no the 15lpi pattern is not bad and I like it very much.
    ABBBF2A8-E499-4587-BF89-7B6DE7658073.jpeg
    They’re as good or better than the others.
    My order on what I own is.
    NH
    GI
    Wilson
    EB
    LB

DRD, usmc_k9_vet, dstallguy and 7 others like this.
  9. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I've had muitiple GI's and have multiple WC's and NHC's.
    I would rank them GI=NHC with both having a slight edge over WC in attention to detail and finish options. I have never owned an EB so I won't comment.
    The 15 LPI looks aggressive but is very comfortable IMHO. But I like aggressive
    FS checkering.

All that said, I have as many WC's as I have of NHC. Only have one GI.
    I like them all.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    usmc_k9_vet, switchback and gps man like this.
  10. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Thanks again guys!

I like you rating your firearms in order of the top 4 or 5. Looks like NH has the lead in the race!

BCD 45

11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Guncrafter is even with Nighthawk. Both are better than Wilson.

The point is this, they are all good. The differences are build philosophy. The GI is more of a high quality, work tool. They go have more flashy models but the No Name is simply phenomenal.

My Commander 38 Super/9mm is actually at the mothership getting a few mods done.

12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The points are rounded off on the 15 LPI. It's not aggressive at all. Shooting bare handed is not a problem.

If you have any issues with the gun, GI will warranty it. Their guns come with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

13. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    They are equal to a NH IMO but personally prefer a NH. I would put Wilson behind both and Ed Brown behind Wilson. Have had to send back all 3 WC NH and GI to mothership. For imperfection or issues. My ranking also has a lot to do with after the sale CS.

14. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Between my Wilson X Tac and GI No Name, I shoot the No Name better. I haven't figured out why yet.

If I put up a B8 target at 25 yards, I can do a mag dump with the No Name and keep it in the black. With the X Tac, I have to be much more careful with my grip and trigger control. In my hands, the X Tac just feels more squirrely.

If you're going to be passing by Philly, you're welcome to come shoot mine and see how you like it.

15. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    I think you will be satisfied once you receive yours. Build quality seems to be great. The checkering has never been an issue for me. If you have to call their shop, you will get a "live" person. I owned 3; currently still have 2 of them; and would not hesitate to purchase another Guncrafter. They will build with nearly any option you would want even if it is not listed on their site.

DRD likes this.
  16. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I have owned several NHC, and one GI. Both are about equal in my opinion. One thing that NHC offers is one smith does all the work on an individual gun.

NHC Custom Classic. The grips are hand checkered ivory by Nutmeg Sports.
    pF2d6ho.jpg
    Guncrafter Industries in Turnbull blue. The finish is spectacular in person.
    OiA2fAI.jpg

17. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Oh, forgot to address the 15 LPI

I think it is my favorite grip treatment. Still looks somewhat classic, provides a great degree of grip and is beefy enough to not get damaged. It also does not snag clothing.

18. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I have a few GI’s; if I were to buy another 1911 it would be a GI.

DRD and Mike Meints like this.
  19. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    What they said ^^^^^^

NH & GI =
    WC *
    (*) exception.... My Wilson POOP Gun is the finest gun I own.

20. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is a "POOP GUN".

BCD 45

TheCollector likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted