Opinions about EB EVO KC9

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by BCD 45, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Being 67 years old but just getting into 1911's I've been sticking to the "Beginner's corner" but wanted to ask opinions about an EB I ordered.

My very 1st 1911 I only got about 5-6 weeks ago, A Kimber Aegis Elite Ultra II in 9mm. It's at my 1911 gunsmith getting 5 EB parts installed on it right now. Shortly after I got it I was surfing the EB website and wound up ordering one of their new EVO KC9's for $1895.

To me, its one fine looking firearm, maybe that's just me. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this firearm? You won't hurt my feelings one way or the other. Thanks and everyone have a fine great week ahead.

Jim D

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I like the looks of them too. I know other members have ordered them but I don't think anyone has received one yet.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Will be interesting to see how the external extractor performs over time.

5. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    EVO caught my eye as well. I also like Ava on Justified :)
    Would love to fondle both. Looking forward to reading a range report

6. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    Patiently waiting arrival of mine ordered back in October...

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  7. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Shortly after I received it I came down with the "Winter Air Travel Crud" which has since settled into a sinus Infection... I know... TMI!!!!
    The point being is I haven't got it to the range yet along with the 9MM GI CCO & 9mm DW Valkyrie.
    I want a good feeling day to compare.
    But.... here's some pics of it.

IMG_2200 (2).jpg IMG_2201 (2).jpg IMG_2202 (2).jpg

8. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    It's still good looking to me. I'd like to have that exact gun in all 3 major 1911 calibers.

Jim D

9. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Looking forward to your thoughts, after you get a chance to wring it out. Hope you feel better soon

10. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    :confused: E4A8B05F-D977-411D-8727-03EEE9D63A2F.jpeg

ronin11, ZArugby, Otherside and 3 others like this.
  11. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    PewPewPtwang likes this.
  12. SgtAbn

SgtAbn New Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Excellent 9mm that has been fed a variety of ammo range to Underwood without a single hickup. Very accurate as one would expect from EB. Not big on IWB but this one is thin enough to make it work. Have ordered a Mitch Rosen shoulder holster for under the jacket carry.

13. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    Dwe likes this.
  14. slovan

slovan Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2018
  15. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Considering the 10s, if not 100s of millions of other pistols (read everything besides a 1911) that have been working reliably for over 100 years I don’t think the external extractor is going to be an issue. If I were to have a 1911 built from scratch, which is highly unlikely, I’d probably have it built with an external extractor. There’s a good reason people order their semi customs with extra tuned internal extractors.
    Too bad EB didn’t do away with the grip safety while they were at it.
    Jeff

16. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I wish they made it just like it is with a 4" barrel in 38 Super. Man what a nice defensive gun
    that would be to carry.

Jim D

41 Charlie and TheCollector like this.
  17. 357 Geek

357 Geek Member

Jul 6, 2018
    ^^^ This!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

18. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, tell that to Kimber, when they'd introduced the external extractor on their 1911. Eventually having to replace a complete upper for those that didn't have a proper working gun.

There are nothing wrong with the internal extractor, if tuned correctly, AND the FPS was also properly fitted to prevent the internal extractor from clocking in the slide. Internal extractor are way easier to replace than external, if part of the extractor had failed (ie claw sheered off). But if the builder had used forged parts, over less superior metal, then it shouldn't fail.

19. TheCollector

Aug 25, 2018
    I have been sending inquiries to E.B. ever since I pre-ordered my EVO KC9 about manufacturing conversion kits for .38 super. I haven't quit asking even after receiving my 9mm.
    I suggest others do the same.

20. Jhp147

Jhp147 Enthusiast

May 17, 2014
    "Too bad EB didn’t do away with the grip safety while they were at it."
    Hey, yeah, the "Ed Brown Answers Novak." I think I'd pick that one.
    Talked to an EB guy and looked at the gun at SHOT. The slide has been narrowed so much that there is not enough metal to put in a "normal" internal extractor, and I'm betting creating a sub-scale one would have added to R&D cost. The EE slot probably cheaper to machine correctly and maintain spec, another little cost savings. As far as how EE extractors work, there is always someone who can botch anything (Kimber, on a couple of counts). But I've worked on/messed with/watched a few years of rounds out of S&W pistols shooting all manner of junk commercial loads, and their external extractors were not and issue, and you didn't have to order an extra one "fit." Sometimes, one will indeed break, in which case you spend about 15 minutes fixing it, counting the trot up to the armorer's office and back down to the line. No witchcraft or bending or filing. S&W had a go/no go gauge and force dial to install them I don't think they were needed when their slide production went CAD/CAM. I'm betting S&W's EEs in their 1911s work like champs.
    The one copy of this gun I looked at was quite nice, especially given the price. Slide operated like greased glass. Couldn't even feel the lug drop out of the slide. The quality looked to be as good as the "regular" EBs in the display, that is to say perfectly finished.

41 Charlie and ronin11 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted