1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Preferred Grain for Training Round

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I am getting closer on having my Ammunition company up and started, I would like to get some feedback. I was planning on making a 9mm training round (I do plan adding others) using a 115 grain coated lead bullet and mixed head stamp brass. Or would you rather have a 115 grain fmj with same head stamp brass?

If you have thoughts on what you would like to see, let me know (besides being in stock).

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
As I am getting closer on having my Ammunition company up and started, I would like to get some feedback. I was planning on making a 9mm training round (I do plan adding others) using a 115 grain coated lead bullet and mixed head stamp brass. Or would you rather have a 115 grain fmj with same head stamp brass?

If you have thoughts on what you want see as offer, let me know (besides being in stock).
Same head stamp. Mixing 9mm headlamps will get you inconsistent performance.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If you can keep the cost similar I would say 115gr FMJ with the same head stamp. You will sell to the guys afraid to use the coated bullets, the same head stamp will seem better quality , more professional , and to some extent more uniform in velocity and performance. When more components are the same it is going to be better ammo.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the feedback. I will get rid of the idea to use mix headstamp brass. I will order some new manufactured brass for load development and testing.

I have plans on having a defensive round, but priced affordably. My thoughts is that a round that you can afford to train with. Instead of buying two (typically one hollow point for home defense or carry and fmj for practice).

As for my testing, I have a couple blocks of ballistics gel 10% on hand for the expansion testing. Next will be purchasing a ransom rest and will be load testing this through multiple handguns to find what will be the most accurate across popular choices. I will be using my chronograph as well to ensure consistency is being maintained. I will post the results. I will be using this process will be used for the FMJ as well(minus the ballistics gel).

For the JHP, would you want a 115 grain or the 124?

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
If you can keep the cost similar I would say 115gr FMJ with the same head stamp. You will sell to the guys afraid to use the coated bullets, the same head stamp will seem better quality , more professional , and to some extent more uniform in velocity and performance. When more components are the same it is going to be better ammo.
Agreed except some Glocks won't do lead or coated. FMJs will out sell them.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,563 Posts
1911 guys would greatly prefer 124's over 115's, just saying

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the feedback. I will get rid of the idea to use mix headstamp brass. I will order some new manufactured brass for load development and testing.

I have plans on having a defensive round, but priced affordably. My thoughts is that a round that you can afford to train with. Instead of buying two (typically one hollow point for home defense or carry and fmj for practice).

As for my testing, I have a couple blocks of ballistics gel 10% on hand for the expansion testing. Next will be purchasing a ransom rest and will be load testing this through multiple handguns to find what will be the most accurate across popular choices. I will be using my chronograph as well to ensure consistency is being maintained. I will post the results. I will be using this process will be used for the FMJ as well(minus the ballistics gel).

124 grain.

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts

Be advised that some 9mm pistols do not have great support under the web of the cartridge. If you're going to load full power or +P type ammo, Starline has +P brass, but it's on backorder

·
Registered
532 Posts

If you have thoughts on what you would like to see, let me know (besides being in stock).

I’d much rather have a 124gr round. I wouldn’t bother with the 115.

It’s important to keep your sku’s down to save on production cost. So I would suggest not producing a whole bunch of different flavors. Just one good training round and one good defensive round in 9mm.

Then just concentrate on producing as much volume as you can.

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts

One thing more you want to.keep in mind. 9mm is shot in a variety of pistols, from 1911s to Glocks to CZs to a lot of pistols. Before you finalize a load, I'd strongly suggest you get some kind of sampling of handguns to test the loads in.

It's a royal pain to do this, however in the long run, you've got yourself covered better. Be advised some Glocks (sorry I don't remember which) should NOT use cast bullets.

·
In Kentucky
9,511 Posts
I shot coated bullets all the time

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
IME, many foreign made 9mm pistols have a groove diameter on the 'generous' side of allowable tolerances, and do poorly with a standard .355 or .356 cast bullet. I have found groove diameters as large as .358" on a number of guns. This allows gas cutting with normal cast bullets and results in leading. Add to that a lot of less experienced or educated shooters have a negative opinion of cast bullets due to misinformation. I personally think that either 115 or 124 FMJ bullet loads would outsell cast bullet loads by an order of magnitude.

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
IME, many foreign made 9mm pistols have a groove diameter on the 'generous' side of allowable tolerances, and do poorly with a standard .355 or .356 cast bullet. I have found groove diameters as large as .358" on a number of guns. This allows gas cutting with normal cast bullets and results in leading. Add to that a lot of less experienced or educated shooters have a negative opinion of cast bullets due to misinformation. I personally think that either 115 or 124 FMJ bullet loads would outsell cast bullet loads by an order of magnitude.
I am surprised at the number of people still shooting a hardball style bullet in 45acp.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts