Opinions on GB Sistema Finish

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Acco40, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Acco40

Acco40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 4, 2013
    Good evening,

Curious as to your expert opinions on the finish of this 1951 Sistema. I thought that with a few exceptions, they all came in a black oxide finish? To my uneducated eyes, that doesn't look like the black oxide finish I have seen on other Sistema's. But that wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867692140

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    If it looks too good to be true . . . . .

Almost looks like a Turnbull restoration. I need to get a better look on my PC in the AM. Bryant Ridge has a sordid history of selling polished / refinished guns. Fortunately there's plenty of time to do proper research.

Z

zChambers and Acco40 like this.
  4. Acco40

Acco40 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 4, 2013
    Also I only thought some of the very early ones came with wood grips with vertical groves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

Here are a couple photos of my 1949 Sistema. Pretty obvious this one has been refinished. You can see the pitting beneath the finish in places. I need to get a better look at the one on GB, but I think it exhibits a bit of the same.

This Sistema is all original including the grips.

Argentine Model 1927 Sistema - 03.JPG

Argentine Model 1927 Sistema - 07.JPG

Argentine Model 1927 Sistema - 11.JPG

The grips that you reference, wood with vertical lines, were standard on the Ballester Molina's. It's a completely different gun. This one was manufactured in 1949 as well, but the finish is original. I think you can see the difference, but the Sistema on GB has some of these traits as well. Hard to see accurately on this phone.

My 1949 Ballester Molina.

Ballester Molina-004.JPG

Ballester Molina-001.JPG

Ballester Molina-007.JPG

The grips are not interchangeable. The hole spacing on the Ballester grips are much further apart

Hope this helps.

Z

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Acco40 likes this.
  6. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    That's one of the best looking Sistemas I've seen. Since collector value isn't much I'd consider buying it just because it's such a nice looking example and not worry about whether or not it had been refinished.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

I'm not bidding on anything else this year, but being the all knowing Schultz that I am, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go north of $1,500, especially on GB.

That puts it way out of my league.

Schultz - I know nothing 1.gif

SVG, Acco40 and WC145 like this.
  8. CHL82

CHL82 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Anybody else notice the rear sight? Half off the slide in some pics and centered in the dovetail on others.

9. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Yes, and text says "Beautiful set of Checkered Walnut Grips" while pictures show USGI plastic. Maybe not even the same left to right.

10. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    That rear sight is hilarious

11. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Okay, here's the skinny on that one. I am judging it to be a typical Bryant Ridge spit shine and polish job. Take a look at the following areas. Enlarge the photos and zoom in on the GB listing:

• Thumb safety - pits and dents.
    • Grips beneath the plunger tube - HEAVY pitting evident, not fully covered by the grips
    • Frame above the slide stop - same as above, that's not dirt or lint. Seller would have cleaned it out.
    • Left side of slide, top - pits they didn't get polished (not a big deal, but . . . . )
    • Photo #5 & #12 - the rear sight is hanging WAY off the slide to the left.
    • Photo #15 - stampings towards the front of the slide look doubled. Original? Who knows, but all markings look too clean given the pitting noted above. Look at ARGENTINO and MOD. vs the stampings on mine. Better photos below.
    • The font in the stampings EJERCITO ARGENTINA looks narrower, not the same.
    • This is a big one. The crest looks childlike. The leaves are not the same. The rising sun is not the same. A screen shot of a real one can be seen below above the one from GB.

Other than the above, it looks nice. I would probably give $500 to $600 for it, if it were local and I could take it apart to look at the internals.

upload_2020-6-4_10-0-48.png

The next two are a couple variations of real crests

upload_2020-6-4_10-29-38.png

upload_2020-6-4_10-6-46.png

This one is from the GB auction that I suspect.

upload_2020-6-4_10-7-13.png

Doubled stamp. May be original?

upload_2020-6-4_10-15-2.png

zChambers and Acco40 like this.
  12. Mickey D

Mickey D Active Member

Nov 2, 2011
    I’d never buy from that seller. He has misrepresent everything he lists.

13. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Why would anyone go to the trouble and expense to fake something with no more value than that? A Turnbull restoration would cost twice what the pistol brought.

Not worth faking.

14. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I am certainly no expert on Sistema Colts but I do own one. This is the crest on mine. It looks similar to the gun on GB. I believe the one on GB is over polished. The serial numbers are close to each other. So either we have identical fakes or it is real but over polished.

[​IMG]

ZoidMeister likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted