Opinions please.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by PSLMAN, Dec 6, 2011.

1. PSLMAN

PSLMAN New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    My LGS has a matched Caspian stainless steel frame and slide, it's actually an early Sig GSR production overrun. I need another 1911 so I'm considering buying this and doing what I can and letting my gunsmith do the barrel/bushing fitting. I've never assembled a 1911 before so the learning experience would be valuable to me.

Given the fact I haven't done anything like this before would you guys suggest I invest the time and money in this or would it be best to simply purchase a complete pistol?

Thanks in advance.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    First, know your mechanical skills and patient level. Putting together a 1911 takes time and basic mechanical skills, and your ability to learn what to do at certain areas. Taking too much metal off is the number one problem, and can turn a part useless, quickly. So if you might have to add a little to your "learning funds" onto the build of the gun.

If you put your mind to it, you can do it. So it's all on your comfort level. No one here can tell YOU if YOU can put together a gun.

3. PSLMAN

PSLMAN New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I realize that and I'd only be doing the EASY stuff that requires minimal fitting which of course is dependent on the variances of the gun/parts. I guess I'm really asking more about the investment it would take to have a custom pistol, especially one that I had a hand in completing.

4. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    There is nothing more satisfying than rolling your own gun. You will learn more from it than you think. So go for it.

5. ontarget1911

ontarget1911 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    ljhljhljh

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. PSLMAN

PSLMAN New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I love the looks of these pistols! Did you do the rib on top of the slide yourself?

7. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    @PLSMAN,
    Putting a 1911 together without prior training or knowledge, is just not something that is going to work out. Otherwise everybody would do it themselfes. Especially not if it has to be reliable, accurate and most importantly safe to operate.
    One thing is to let somebody do the barrel job for you, but how about the trigger work and safeties! This could end up costing you blod, sweat and tears.
    Can't begin to tell you, how many guns that was either half build...or ruined, that ended up on my table over the years. Just saying....think this over twice.

8. Slabside

Slabside Member

Sep 1, 2011
    The only way I would recommend doing a build yourself is if you have someone over your shoulder watching every move !
    Like what was stated earlier .... patience is huge . You could end up with a pile of wasted parts !
    You could do some research and pick all the parts that you want and find someone to build it for you . Just an idea .

9. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    And,if you do go with a gunsmith for a build,choose one that has a SOLID reputation.

Had a very unpleasant experience with a "'smith" who trolled around forums once.:mad2:

DAT85

10. PSLMAN

PSLMAN New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Oh dude I can't even imagine how badly that sucked! Luckily I have a good friend/gunsmith with over 40 years experience who LOVES the 1911 platform. I can pick his brain anytime I need to and he's a very honest person who's willing to share some of his knowledge with me.

11. PSLMAN

PSLMAN New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I understand what you're saying and I thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I have given this matter some serious thought and have decided to buy a complete pistol instead, mostly because of the cost of building a 1911 from the ground up.

12. Slabside

Slabside Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Good thinking PSLMAN ! If you have a builder in mind and he`s close , pick his brain and see what he offers .

I`m lucky , I have Lou from Business End Customs that has his shop close by and can ask him questions all the time , as long as I buy the coffee !! :rofl2:

Good Luck !

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted