1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently when I was helping clean out my late Mother in Law's house,I ran across a metal ammo can that belonged to my late BIL.Inside the can was 2 zip lock bags containing 100 rds each of 45 acp FMJ ammo.They were all Federal brass ,but I am figuring they are reloads.My BIL had various guns and was a member of a range in a neighboring town,but since he has been dead about 1 1/2 years I don't know how to find out about them.The brass is still shiny with no corrosion.The question of the day is ,should I try shooting them,not knowing the loads.The only 45 I have is a newer Colt Competition, and I don't want to screw it,or myself, up by shooting some HOT loads.What say you ammo experts?Try some or leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
Ditch them. Or if you have the time and energy, pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload them for your own use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not a chance, even if I could pull a few bullets and confirm the load recipe. Some things to think about (1) is the load safe for my gun? (2) is there a potential for a squib? (3) would the COAL be correct for my gun? (4) is the crimp sufficient for my gun? (5) is the bullet diameter correct for my gun? Lots of things to consider.
Be safe!

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
No way would I shoot them. I do load my own ammo so I would pull the bullet, dump whatever powder he used and also use the empty brass for my loads. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: Kevin Rohrer

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
I'm surprised that someone here hasn't offered to reload them for you with a proper load. I'm not an old hand at reloading but have the equipment to reload .45 acp. If you are willing to send me a handful of bullets I would be happy to reload them with a safe load and send them back.... if you liked them.... well, we can go from there.

Reactions: isialk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's input.My first thought was to not use them,but I figured I would get other opinions.I think one of my golfing buddies has a son that is a CSI at the local sheriff dept,that does reloading.If so I guess he gets them if he wants them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good idea,but I don't reload and I don't have any friends that do either.
Personally? I do not shoot anyone else's handloads. If I blow up my gun with my handloads, well that's what happens. Send them to me and I'll pull the bullets, dump the powder and reload for use in my gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts