1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about bullseye pistol.

I was curious about what people think about The above mentioned optics for a range use only 22 LR pistol. Realistically, for me, use at 25 yards and in; indoor and outdoor ranges.

I'm a heavy user of the RMR (3.25 Moa) on my glock. Like it, love it, no issues or problems. I am also a big fan of iron sights and feel equally comfortable and enjoy them on my 1911s.

I am considering getting an SRO for a railed, target 22 pistol. Since I already have a Trijicon RMR, I know what I will be getting with the SRO. I'm looking at the 1.0 MOA or 2.5 MOA dots. The top loading battery, bigger glass, and smaller dot are bonuses to me.

On the other hand, the Holosun 508t is looking sweet as well. The features are attractive. The price point and overall competitiveness with the RMR are big pluses. I figure it would be nice to try one.

The other option I'm looking at is going with an Ultradot. Granted I will not be using this pistol for bullseye, and I rarely try to shoot bullseye style. Some of the features on some of the ultra dot models seem useful. The closest I've been shooting a tube style red dot has been my LVPO on my AR.

I know I will be happy and comfortable with a reflex style (like rmr) sight. The con for me is the cost of the SRO. But I know I am paying for quality, and sturdiness though and I'm ok with that. The Holosun price seems right, and considering some of the positive reviews I've read, it seems like a good buy. The ultra dot for me is an unknown....and its not clear to me what the pros and cons would be.

Anyone have any thoughts on these sights? Thanks in advance.

This reminds me of what I went through on my AR. I have both an ACOG and a LVPO...the problem is I like them both for what they are, but I only have one rifle. On that gun, I also like irons too, so there are 3 different options, lol.

**P.S. I posted this thread at Calguns as well. I figured I would post it here as well since I know we have some very, very experienced folks here who can share their experiences.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
Which Ultradot are you looking at? I had a match dot. Compared to my Vortex Venom, I feel the tube style of the match dot does not work as well as the style of say the Holosun or RMR. The match dot had an adjustable reticle size, but I found I always kept it in the minimum size .

I was just at a gun show over the weekend and was talking to a police officer about Holosun . He felt it was the best he has used including Trijicon rmr. For the price difference, I’d go with the Holosun.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
Forgot to mention . My Ultradot failed. They fixed it but not without an unpleasant dance with customer service. My sources say the Holosun will hold up to abuse as well as the more expensive Trijicon.

·
Registered
381 Posts
SRO costs as much as the 22. I love my SRO. I have 2 on Bullseye 45s. I also have 2 ultra dot. One on a 45 and one on a High Standard Victor. All are good.

I have a few Burris FF III. They are great too. Dot brightness choice is a little limited.

I vote SRO if money is not a problem

David

·
Registered
170 Posts

I had a Ruger Mark II Target Competition with a Ultradot Matchdot. Great gun. My friend installed a Volquartsen trigger kit into it.

I could hit steel rods or golf balls at 25 yards with it.

The Ultradot has an adjustable MOA, though I used the Smallest dot.

I found that the weight was still manageable even with a prolonged range session.

However, when I acquired my Ruger Mark IV Target with T&J Tactical Integral Suppressor and Volquartsen trigger group, I was shooting this a lot more.

I outfitted it with a Vortex Venom. I chose it for the lifetime /No BS warranty. It is a top loading system so disassembly is not necessary.

I found the reliability of the red dot to be as good as my tube sight. Increasing the intensity of the red dot, widened the MOA, so I always kept the dot at the lowest visible power for more precision.

One thing I had considered is a Dual Illumination Trijicon RMR but I didn’t care for the cost in a target pistol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I went ahead and ordered an SRO. The prices are competitive right now, with it being a little more than the Holosun. Of course, the one additional cost I didn't factor in was a mount. I will probably end up getting a holosun at some point down there road to try out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.