Optimal Spring Setup for 9mm Hi Power

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by NIU2009, Sep 24, 2020.

1. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    It seems there are differing opinions on the webs as to optimal spring weights for a BHP without the mag disconnect. I purchased a BHP on here that @Lamey had already done some fantastic work on. I'm leaning towards sending it to Novaks, since they quoted 2-3 months, for the Spec Ops package with a few add-ons. They will respring it with Wolff springs, which I've read some negative reports on with regard to their BHP springs. I'd like to get input on spring weights since they're potentially respringing it.

I know I'll never get a really short reset or get rid of all of the takeup, only some of it with modifications by a smith, but what's your opinion on spring weights for best possible trigger pull while maintaining reliability.

Thanks

2. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    You'll get lots of different opinions on this subject, but here's what I've found works good for me and my p-35s.

17.5# recoil spring, 28-30# mainspring, XP recoil spring and 2 coil HD trigger spring, fresh extractor and other springs. All from BHSS. If I were shooting only 115g bullets I might stick with the 16# recoil spring, but I shoot srandard velocity 124g.

I've removed mag disco shoe, added C&S no bite cmdr hammer and EGW hard sear. I have firm and audible trigger reset, no light strikes (reason I don't go lighter with mainspring) and my H-Ps shoot anything I load in to them

I hope this is helpful, remember this is what I use and have found it works well in MY pistols. Good luck to you and LONG LIVE THE HI POWER

NIU2009 likes this.

3. Soundguy

Soundguy High Power Fan

Jan 18, 2018
    I heard negative comments on Wolff springs so long ago I can't recall what they were.

I'm a fan of BH Spring Solutions and routinely outfit all of my High Powers with them. I don't know if you can find better springs... and these guys are sorta High Power Geeks who seem to have developed more new things for users than any companies before them. While I do much of the work myself I have sent my Alloy Detective Carry pistol and a problem child 1950 to them. I recently had them do an Alloy C Series for me, sight unseen. Beautiful work on the finish. It is waiting for another Detective slide.

Trigger wise, I'm waiting on the release of their new trigger sub assembly. My carry gun, a hybrid, has a very nice 4.5" trigger with a fairly short reset and zero travel after the break.

The best part about BHSS is the huge volume of information they are willing to share with you.

switchback and NIU2009 like this.
  4. Lamey

Lamey Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 19, 2019
    Never had a problem with Wolff or BHSS springs at all. Agree with switchback on poundage. There is a bit of trade off with reset vs lighter overall trigger #, as the 2 coil spring will help reset but add a bit of weight. I opt for more positive reset.

switchback likes this.
  5. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    ^^^^^ agree, it is a tradeoff but the positive reset is worth it, to me

edit to my above post. My trigger pull, while unmeasured, is heavy and smooth. Not unusable, but heavy. And very smooth.

6. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    BHSS is good for springs. Their sets are well thought out and yield good results. They also sell decent tools like punches. Their 2 coil trigger return spring is great for a defensive gun. I am not a fan of their other parts.

I have never had an issue with Wolf springs. IIRC most other smiths like Williams, Yost, Novak, Garthwaite RIP etc... all use Wolf. I don't know of a nationally "known" BHP smith that uses BHSS. It does not make them bad it is what it is. I know that a gentleman who went by the handle "Burgs" on another 1911 forum often complained about issues with Wolff recoil springs being inconsistent and not properly weighted. That has not been my experience but I did not doubt his statements. I think most people universally use the 17 lb recoil spring if the shoot 124Gr ammo. That is what I use and had never had an issue with them.

As to trigger pull weight for me it is more about smoothness, consistency and reliability than pure trigger weight. I have found the magic number for BHPs is somewhere just north of 4lbs. When you go lower you are going to get ignition issues on harder primers and you are eventually going to get hammer follow. If you leave enough meat on the sear and hammer engagement surfaces all you have to do to correct the hammer follow is replace the sear spring on a regular interval. Its not a big deal and on a competition guns it might be ok but for me on a defensive gun it is not worth the risk of "when" is that spring going to reach end of life.

I think most people universally use the 17 lb recoil spring if the shoot 124Gr ammo.

NIU2009 likes this.
  7. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    I shoot and carry 147gr almost entirely. I imagine the 17# spring is probably fine for that, too?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted