Original WWI 1911 accuracy

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by *Double Diamond Colt*, Jul 15, 2020.

1. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
  2. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020

3. mlin

mlin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    That is amazing. The trigger pull on my 1917 Colt M1911 feels like 8+ lbs and gritty. Never intend to use it, so I leave it as is.
    [​IMG]

KS95B40, LEO918, Babboonbobo and 3 others like this.
  4. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Damn that's a nice gun the one above with the Gerber I had to leave in a tub of Kroil for a week it was stuck closed and wouldn't move when I got it

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  5. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Did you have to get your gun operational or did you buy it working

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    It was fully operational. I bought this years ago, long before I ever got the nerve up to remove the internals from a slide. Back then, the thought of taking out the sear and trigger would have given me hives. It wasn't until the last 12 months that I even thought about improving Deaddy's trigger.

7. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    That’s a damn good group shooting freestyle with any blaster at 15 yards.

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  8. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Brand new , tight and rested at 15 yards and a guy who dose it every day as his job shooting them no reason they wouldn't shoot that tight . I dont think its fake at all.

How about all the women with cutting oil and solvent all over their hands no gloves shows what people were willing to do at their jobs back when the country was great .

Great to see Americans actually producing a quality product thanks for showing us that movie

FWoo45 and LEO918 like this.
  9. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Don't remember which forum I read it on, but one poster told that with his .45 ACP at 15 yards offhand he could cover all his shots with a quarter.

Well, a quarter is about .95 in diameter, so to cover the group with the quarter the shots would have to be in the .45 center to center range to be hid by the quarter. Less than 1/2" groups offhand at 15 yards is really good.

10. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I’ve put 50 rds through one hole. It was a good day with a Guncrafter.

FWoo45 and ZoidMeister like this.
  11. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    Was the hole in the outhouse?

12. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200716_170110.jpg
    Tested this old dog today with Target ammo and it shot fine . When I got this gun it had been in water and every part was froze solid nothing worked .

Left it in a tub of Kroil for a week and things slowly started to free up . Had to replace the trigger with a period piece I got from a collector

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    FWoo45, TheCollector and LEO918 like this.
  13. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200716_193326 (1).jpg

Hard to believe this barrel would shoot at all makes me laugh at some custom guns with 15yrd test targets why bother anything will shoot at that close

looks like you could use a piece of sewer pipe at that range LOL

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    TheCollector likes this.
  14. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200716_193349.jpg
    The last inch or so isnt as bad and it dose lock up tighter than my other ones but after looking at it over all I would expect a shotgun pattern.

TheCollector and LEO918 like this.
  15. Lakeman45

Lakeman45 Active Member

May 15, 2017
    The 200 gr. SWC is almost as big around as it is long. Doesn't take a lot to stabilize it. I like 185 or 200 gr. SWC in everything .45ACP I shoot.

16. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Yep with a nice mild load that doesn't beat me or the gun up

17. Newtm

Newtm Member

Dec 15, 2019

My FIL was a WWII vet. The oldest son got his WWII .45. It was a lot cleaner than several in this thread. :) The barrel was pitted. But, i thought it shot pretty good. Certainly minute of human.

Newt

Fred_G and *Double Diamond Colt* like this.
  18. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    The blonde with the yankee screwdriver about halfway through, yowzer!

19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    H

in 1980 an old WW I Destroyer Captain gave me his Navy 1911. Only problems was they'd Dewatted it by cutting the frame with a torch. Being the prime years of my "can we fix this" days, welded the frame back together, milled it back to spec and then checkered it (easiest front strap you could checker, they were softer). I did some touch up to the ramp since I used SWCs.

I did shoot some IPSC matches with it, but unless it was close range, they're slower to use primarily because the sights.But they were good for shooting tighter groups.

One note you should keep in the back of your mind, service life is a lot shorter than even the 1911A1s. Otherwise, good shooting and a classic pistol.

20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017

"carved", d*mn son, I need to get out my pocket knife and get to whittling!

Show the person that "opinned" any video on the current CNC process used on Current 1911 frames.

The single worst weapon when it came to "cuts" on a milling machine? The M-14 receiver. They originally wanted to do it on M1 production machines, couldn't do it. TRW eventually automated the process.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted