Over/Under... Autoloading... Hunting Shotgun thoughts and help?!

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by cundiff5535, Nov 26, 2018.

1. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    I am looking for some thoughts from the group... I have never been a shotgun person. For good reason to... I am not a hunter, I am not a gamer (trap, skeet, etc). I also know that when I get into a certain style of gun, it kills me not to have the highest in quality...

With that said, I was handling a few shotguns today with my uncle. He had a Beretta EELL, Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade 28 ga. and a Benelli SBE... All three very different guns. My dad had a Browning Over/Under Midas Grade and Diana grade when I was a kid but those were sold when he stopped shooting (I wish he still had them).

I am looking for feedback or thoughts on some nice shotguns to look into. I did like the EELL but for some of the prices, I can get into a Perazzi MX8... I really have no clue what the better quality gun is or what is the correct route to go.

Along with an over/under I would like a auto field gun. I keep looking at the Benelli Super Sport, but again... dont know this is the right choice.

I know this is a huge can of worms... and I really cant totally break the bank with some of the grail guns floating around. Anyone have thoughts, feedback, etc?

Thanks in advance!

2. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I shoot clays at a big shotgun competition range. All the guys putting high mileage on their shotguns recommend and use what they call the "B Guns"; Browning, Benelli & Beretta. Me, I'm a rookie with the R guns...Remington & Ruger.

nmbuzz, gps man, UBOATDOC and 2 others like this.

3. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I’ve got the Benelli Super Sport and it is a great all around gun. It works great as a pheasant gun or as a sporting clays gun. The trap purists would say it is not ideal for their sport but as a casual trap shooter I think it is great.
    The high end Beretta’s are gorgeous o/u shotguns but Perazzi would be more in line with what I perceive of your tastes. (slightly more exclusive). Both will hold their value.

cundiff5535, FWoo45 and Scaramouche like this.
  4. jaydoc

Aug 10, 2012
    @cundiff5535
    Aren’t you in the Chicago area? Beretta has a store there that has their high end stock

cundiff5535 likes this.
  5. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    None of the above are the right answer. God intended for shotguns to have two barrels, side by side, and as many triggers. That being said I did get the old man a citori for fathers day a couple years ago. He had given me some lecture about not buying guns and saving money, blah, blah. Haven't heard any more of that crap. What would you mostly use it for? You've listed some very different types of shotguns.

Kip, Oldgunner and cundiff5535 like this.
  6. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    I am in the "area"... I try not to associate with Chicago in anyway:) Ha! In saying that, Ill have to take a peek at where the Beretta store is at.

To add to this, I have handled many Beretta shotguns, all are nice and I esp love the smaller reciever on them... What I have not ever handled is a Perazzi or Caesar Guerini or the other grail guns that most shotgun guru's seek.

If I were to spend the money on one of them, I would really like to know if anyone has preferences on them and the reasoning. I can tell you this stuff about semi custom and custom 1911's... Shotguns, no clue:( And I def dont have the funds to buy em up and try em for myself... So I am pretty much stuck reading and asking questions.

At some point when I feel more comfortable with what I am looking at, I can go out to a local club and hold/shoot/etc a lot of these. I would like to hear from peeps before I do this though.

As a last point of thought, these are not purchases that are in the short term for me... I am just starting to learn about shotguns... so def a long term goal of buying some cool stuff...

7. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Yeah... who the hell knows. What would I use it for if I bought one today, nothing but looking at it and enjoying the craftsmanship. What would I use it for in 5 years? Maybe hunting.... Maybe gaming... What would I use it for in 15 years? A hobby and mastering the whole shotgun shooting thing. Thats birds, wild game, and games at a club.

8. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    shotgunworld.com has an awesome forum and lots and lots of the kind of info your looking for

9. jaydoc

Aug 10, 2012
    In my opinion, the Benelli Super Sport checks all of the boxes for your field gun. Beretta autos are nice too though...

cundiff5535 likes this.
  10. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Check out the browning BSS if you just want to get a gun that will be a good one to get into shooting, last until you know a bit more about your interests, and can be had for about a G so it's a bit more attainable. Any of the Miroku doubles really. On higher end guns stock fitment becomes a much more important aspect and an off the shelf gun probably won't fit you as well as it could if you order it. LOP, cast on/off can greatly alter your guns fit. Unfortunately this is the problem with trying to get into a nice used higher end shotgun.

Badabing11 and cundiff5535 like this.
  11. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Benelli M2 for semi-auto. I bought one off here and love it. It'll do it all.
    I've got a Browning Citori Superlight Feather that is a wonderful gun, but it's just too pretty of a gun for me to use. I love the look of wood, but I'm a synthetic guy.

There's a bunch of great shotty's out there. You just need to find out the one that fits you the best.

cundiff5535 likes this.
  12. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    My 2 cents is this: Beretta O/U shotguns are built like a tank. It would take many thousands of rounds to wear one out. The action parts can be replaced should you ever need to. Mine is a 682 Skeet model bored S/S but throw 7 1/2 shot in it and I have shot front line trap with good success. On the other end of the spectrum, my field bird gun is a Stoeger 2000. This is a $500.00 shotgun that performs just as well as the more expensive ones and I don't care if I get it dirty or wet. Stoeger is owned by Benelli and has the same bolt. I have shot a Benelli Super Sport and honestly, my Stoeger shoots just as well.
    You asked for opinions but in the end it is your money so get what you want. Buy a couple of cases of shells and go out and enjoy what ever you buy.

Journeyman1234 and cundiff5535 like this.
  13. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Cheers man! Good feedback and thoughts!

14. j quan

j quan Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    i use 4 browning o/u's for clays and a beretta A303 or winchester pump for hunting. in my golden years, that 3rd shot comes in handy!

15. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    First of all, thanks a lot for making me get back to shopping for a new 28ga. This is going to get expensive. Secondly stogers are shooters, my hunting buddy just got a longfowler. I dont think you're after a pump to literally drag through the mud but there are more than a couple that will run and run. Not to assume too much from your posts but maybe you should check out merkel and any of four main Basque makers.

16. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I am a Beretta guy... However, you really need to find a real store that will check the fit of any gun your interested in, or fit a gun to you. Cast, drop, pitch and LOP are important so you are not beating the crap outta yourself for no reason.

17. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    There is a lot to this....

1. All around Upland bird Field gun. I have Benelli super sport 12ga, 30" barrel...I use it as a bad weather gun and a travel gun when I don't want to give a high end O/U to an airline. Its an Inertia gun / very light @ 7.2 lbs ..so 30" barrel gives longer sight plane & smoothes out swing & follow thru. Its a 3" chamber so fairly versatile / comes with 5 chokes / comfort tech recoil supression works well...you can buy additional comb pads to change comb height / different recoil pads to adjust LOP...

Beretta owns Benelli ....if you want a gas gun ..look at Beretta offerings. A400 series...xcel or multi target are decent guns. I'm not a big gas gun fan...they're heavier ... some are slower to cycle...but solid guns.

Waterfowling ...look at Benelli again ...3" or maybe 3 1/2" chambers if you go after goose..superblack eagle is probably best option

Over Unders.....
    Beretta & Browning give you the most gun for the money. Beretta & Browning fit very differently. Beretta tends to be thinner in throat & grip area...Browning tends to be a little beefier, better for bigger hands... / to me Browning has a stronger lockup ...to me, Beretta is a little lighter & whippier...so I'm a Browning guy. Citori line has about 26 models.../ for an all around gun I want 30" barrels at about 8 1/2 lbs... I like a palm swell, a mid sized rib, ideally a parallel adj comb ( 725 skeet, old XS Skeet models...

Most of the low end O/U's are not solid guns....Ruger, Remington, Stoeger, Franchi, etc... / Benelli is marketing some over unders now but I think they are trying to fill out Beretta market on low end ( like Browning & Winchester -- both FN companies, but Browning seems to be running shotgun divisions - with Winchester a lower priced Browning offering...

I'm not a Perazzi fan...trigger systems are their weakness.
    Blaser has some very nice guns ...better option over Perazzi in my view.
    CG has a following ...but to me, they're another Beretta style & feel.... I don't like them.

If money is no object look at Kolar or Krieghoff ...both very solid guns...I give Kolar a slight edge ...
    ------
    If you want a decent looking pump gun ...look at Browning BPS, Hunter model...good smooth actions...

There is a lot more to all of this ...but that's a little to chew on ...( not trying to irritate anybody...Perazzi or CG fans may argue their brand.../ like in 1911's lots of discussion...Wilson, Guncrafter, Brown , Nighthawk, Baer etc...)...

As in most issues on 1911's ....in shotguns we debate stuff like...
    A. Ideal weight ... pros & cons of 7 lb, 71/2 lbs, 8 lb guns...for gen use..
    B. Longer & Heavier guns for Trap specifically...
    C. How perfect a 28ga can be for all kinds of things..
    D. Pros & cons of O/U vs S X S ....
    E. Gas guns vs Inertia guns in semi autos.
    F...Length og Pull, Drop at Comb & Heel...
    G. Shells.. 1 1/8 oz....vs 1oz ...and velocity....and shot size ( 8's, 9's, etc....
    H. Reloading...
    And 100 other things....

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Journeyman1234 and FWoo45 like this.
  18. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    My primary all around field, skeet & sporting guns ....are four Browning Citori XS Skeet models, all 30" barrels, parallel combs ( a 12ga, 20ga, 28ga & .410 )...

My Trap gun ...Citori XT 32" barrels at 10 lbs...parallel comb ...

Benelli Super Sport, 30" 12ga ...for bad weather & travel...
    -----------

Citori XS Skeet models
    20151112_133643 (1) (1).jpg
    XT Trap
    20161016_112645.jpg
    Super Sport
    20161013_110321.jpg

19. seawolfxix

seawolfxix Asker of the Obvious

Dec 10, 2017
    This. We can discuss quality and performance all day long, but the most important aspect of a shotgun is the fit. If you have extra money to spend, consider spending it on a custom stock.

Journeyman1234 likes this.
  20. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    Seawolf is right...the absolute #1 thing on shotguns is Fit.../ Fit means when you mount it properly it hits where you look !! Sounds simple...but its not ...stock dimensions on shotguns & how it fits your physical dimensions ( from your shoulder to your cheekbone ) and where the comb of that gun fits you.../ height of rib, feel of grip area, feel of forend style ( beavertail, schnabel, etc...), size of your hands, barrel length & sight plane ...let alone how does an 8 lb gun feel compared to a 7 1/2 lb gun...--- and all of this might seem about minutia, but its not....

Beretta EELL ( extra extra luxurious ..... / may be a great looking gun ...)...but if it doesn't "Fit" you its just nice wood & a waste of $ 8,000 ...

Same thing on a Piegon grade from any mfg....vs any Midas grade, grade V to VII stock on any gun...../ doesn't make it a great gun for you ....let alone anyone's idea of a grail gun...

Are any Browning or Beretta a grail gun ...probably not ...and prices may be between $ 3,500 and $8,000 ...
    Any CG's ...grail guns ...no...not in my view / high end Perazzi's ...maybe...
    High end Blaser's ...maybe...

High end Kolar or Krieghoff ...absolutely !! ....but entry level with fairly unimpressive wook is probably $8K.../ high end $12K plus...depending on options you want...

Lots of used guns out there ...check out the big shotgun dealers Joel Etchen, DuPont, Pacific Sporting Arms, etc..../ dealers for Kolar & Krieghoff will always accept & sell high end used shotguns ...Browning, Beretta, Perazzi, Blaser, CG, etc...

All of the 12ga Brownings I have in photo above have at least 250,000 shells thru them...and have never broken a single part.../ but I clean & lube them everytime they are shot...and at least annually remove stocks check springs, firing pins, etc.../ great guns for my needs & they Fit me ...but grail guns...no. But I will be happy to pass them down in family someday ( I'm only 68 ..& still shooting )...

Just a note...Benelli super sport / I like it a lot...but its no grail gun .. ! Retail is around $2,000 now ...but that "carbon fibre" look it has, is just a decal...its not real. Just like some of the wood looking stocks on Beretta semiautos ...is a laminated product ...I forget what they call it..

The stock on my Browning XT Trap above with the impressive stripes ...is a grade VI or VII Turkish Walnut ...expensive custom order, back in the day, from Browning...and I only paid about $2,500 for it used about 20 yrs ago...but a grail gun...maybe ../ ...probably not....

Mike Meints likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted