close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Over valuing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jericho76, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jericho76

jericho76 New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    So there is a RIA posted for sale on another forum. The guy has replaced all the internals with good quality parts,it has decent grips,sights and Gunkote finish. He is asking $700 (dropped from$800). My question is, is there a ceiling to the price of certain brands. Its a $400=/- gun and will not hold it resale value like some of the other brands. Good luck to him, this is by no means a criticism. I was just curios.
    I mean ,you can put a Ferrari engine in a Kia, it still doesn't mean its a Ferrari.

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I've found that retrofitting my 1911's double the money I have in them. I don't believe it would be possible to get that investment back in today's market. Possibly 2/3rds what I have in them.. Ron

3. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    Personally, I would rather start with the base model and slowly upgrade to fit my likes, wants, and tastes. I would KNOW how well the replacements were fit. However, if I found something that was pretty much what I wanted, and I could be reasonably sure I trusted the sellers claims, I might make an offer. Gunkote ads no value to the $ IMHO.

4. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I have 4-500 in my Taurus and it's still a Taurus and will never be worth what I have in it. Largely because of perceived bias against the brand but also I believe because I myself did the work and not some custom shop or pistolsmith somewhere. Same thing with my Springfield GI, that thing I have more than 2G's in the total build but for the same reasons, it'll never command that sort of price. I did those things for me personally with the intent that I would never sell them.

For instance on a local gun trader board, guy has a PT1911 wants like $900 something for it with light and mags and such and he posts it over and over and over again. It's a Taurus. IT AIN'T WORTH THAT MUCH even with the extra's.

5. jericho76

jericho76 New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I hear you. I think thats part of why we love 1911's, is because of just that. They are so customizable. I think the other guys answered my question though. You rarely can make back the investment we put into them...now don't you dare tell my wife that. My excuses will all go out the window if you do.:peep:

6. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Depending on the gun you use as a base to build up, you might need a lot of polish. JMO

claire

7. jericho76

jericho76 New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    As in polish for polishing a turd?:rofl:

8. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Wait! I can put a Ferrari engine in my Soul?!?!?!

That would really make the hamsters happy! :lol:

9. jericho76

jericho76 New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Hey, I never said you would survive to talk about it, but it sounds like fuuun.

10. IBDRXN

IBDRXN Down Zero

Sep 27, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted