1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a stainless, flat, smooth MSH that is slightly oversized so I can custom fit it for a minimal gap appearance. I'll be fitting it to a Jem frame.

I saw that Wilson makes a flat/smooth stainless MSH, but has anyone here used one? Ed Brown makes one also. But they both say 'drop-in fit'. To me, that translates into 'loose fit'. ;)

Thanks.

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve built two guns with Jem frames and EGW MSH supplied by Jem. Your standards might be higher than mine but as far as I was concerned they were good enough for me.
Thank you Sir. :)

I seriously doubt that my 'standards' are higher than yours though. :D

Reactions: Snakebill

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found the Stan Chen offerings. Anyone have experience fitting their max bevel?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Maybe not there are people that pick things up on this forum that I never would have thought about. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Just found the Stan Chen offerings. Anyone have experience fitting their max bevel?
Not with the max bevel but I just put a SC SI magwell on an old Colt I have and I am really impressed. It’s really well done. Ironically it replaced a 2pc. EGW and it’s night and day.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
When Smith and Alexander started shifting their production to billet machined parts from cast I noticed the tolerances were tighter on their one piece MSH “mag guides”. Don’t know if all their inventory is machined now but if you call them, Alan Smith's wife answers the phone and if she can’t answer it she’ll put him on.

They list a smooth MSH.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a stainless, flat, smooth MSH that is slightly oversized so I can custom fit it for a minimal gap appearance. I'll be fitting it to a Jem frame.

I saw that Wilson makes a flat/smooth stainless MSH, but has anyone here used one? Ed Brown makes one also. But they both say 'drop-in fit'. To me, that translates into 'loose fit'. ;)

Thanks.

I've used a few Ed Brown mainspring housings in the past. They've had a variety of textures on them, never smooth. I can say that their definition of "drop-in" does not mean "loose" but means not "oversized " needing a bunch of filing to get them to fit. To me, they've fit as snugly as the original mainspring housings I was replacing.

Hope that helps.

Z

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Dremel jockey
4,017 Posts
Chen is the way to go.
Not much oversized, but bigger than any others.
On some frames, I'll still peen the rails on a Chen.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I just fit a EGW to a Colt SCG...I'll never do that again. I'll purchase a different brand next time. This is the first time I've ever used a EGW one. The fit is tight up into the gun, so much so that it has to be persuaded with slight tap of a mallet to seat it the last 1/16 of an inch. I'm still scratching my head over it.

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses.

I signed up to get a email alert when SC has his Maxbevel gunsmith fit back in stock. I'm going to be waiting 4-6 weeks on my slide and barrel anyway, so we'll see if he makes a new batch in that timeframe. :)

·
The Tinker
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me know if you can’t get the Chen part by the time you need it as I stock quite a few Chen mainspring housings and magwells.

MP
Outstanding! Thank you Sir! :)

Reactions: gps man and MDP
1 - 14 of 14 Posts