1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I have a Colt XSE Commander that I’d like to try a different manner of carry. I have an IWB from Tauris, I think, that is a Summer Special Style with an adjustable cant. For some reason I can’t seem to get comfortable with it. Maybe it’s my body shape, I don’t know. I’ve never tried an OWB holster with a 1911 before and I think I’d like to give that style a try. What I’d think I’d have the best results with is one of the style that positions the pistol high and close to the body. Unfortunately I’m not well versed in what all is out there and which companies make such a rig.

Does anyone use this type and have had good results? If so, which maker and model can you recommend?
If you have any pics of your preferred rig of this type, I’d really like to see it.

If you don’t mind, I’d really like to get some recommendations for holsters of this type or maybe some others that you think might be worth a try for me.

Thank you for your time and any help you can give me.
Have a good weekend.
Larry

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon review I think I might also benefit from a holster that’s a mid-ride height as well.

If you can include recommendations for these as well I would appreciate it.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

·
THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER
2,501 Posts
Hey all.

I have a Colt XSE Commander that I’d like to try a different manner of carry. I have an IWB from Tauris, I think, that is a Summer Special Style with an adjustable cant. For some reason I can’t seem to get comfortable with it. Maybe it’s my body shape, I don’t know. I’ve never tried an OWB holster with a 1911 before and I think I’d like to give that style a try. What I’d think I’d have the best results with is one of the style that positions the pistol high and close to the body. Unfortunately I’m not well versed in what all is out there and which companies make such a rig.

Does anyone use this type and have had good results? If so, which maker and model can you recommend?
If you have any pics of your preferred rig of this type, I’d really like to see it.

If you don’t mind, I’d really like to get some recommendations for holsters of this type or maybe some others that you think might be worth a try for me.

Thank you for your time and any help you can give me.
Have a good weekend.
Larry
Whatever you end up getting will get shredded by the razor sharp edges on this series by Colt. XSE is an acronym for Xtra Sharp Edges. Do you wear gloves to remove from safe? I have one and have used it to cut steak!!!!!! J/K LOL. Nice guns for the price.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,047 Posts
I don't like holsters that ride too high, it bothers an old shoulder injury to draw from them. I usually carry my 1911s in a Garrett Silent Thunder STX 2.0, I have one for each size gun I have - 5", 4.25", 3.5". They ride at a good height for me, nice and close but still easy to draw from, and you can adjust the cant. They're comfortable and conceal well. They're kydex with a smooth leather lining and that really helps to protect the gun's finish. I also use their mag carriers.

·
Just outsided the realm of Crazy!
1,837 Posts
I've been toting my LW CMD in this TT Gunleather OWB trimmed in Shark and I'll tell ya what, it's a fantastic holster!! (it gets two exclamation points :D) The holster holds the gun close to the body and with my light shirt over, you can't tell I'm carrying.:thumbs:

·
Registered
483 Posts
A lot depends on your body shape/size...............Mernickle makes a straight up (no cant) open top that is drawn in tight to your body with the rear belt slot. I wear mine at about 9 o'clock (lefty), right handed would be 3 oclock.
Here: http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps9-3.html
They make an even higher model if you want...
Here: http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/bwcc_6a.html

You need to get used to a 0 cant holster if you've never used one. But is does hide well.......JMHO, YMMV.

TR

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
I had a Kramer horsehide OWB but sold it when I tried a Mitch Rosen 5JR.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A very high ride holster doesn't work well for me, but if I were interested in that the first thing I'd look at would be a Milt Sparks 60TK. Their 55BN is probably a more typical option.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts