1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was recently very fortunate to come across and be able to purchase a Pachmayer Combat Special that dates from the 70’s. This is early Pachmayr Combat Special that has been really well preserved, and in nearly new original condition; it’s a pretty rare find as most of these pistols were heavily used on the range in their day. Inside of the slide it’s marked ‘Pachmayr Los Angeles USA PCS 250’. I won’t go into the history of these as most of you probably already know about them and what these pistols represent in the history of custom 1911’s. Anyway,...please enjoy as I haven’t seen many pics of these on the forum.

·
Pearl Pimp
2,670 Posts
I've never heard of those guns, but I did a quick search and was very impressed. Thanks for posting, and the attending lesson!

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,752 Posts
That's sweet, and in excellent shape. Nice catch!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Some have asked about the components on this Combat Special so here is what I know; it has a well fitted Bar-Sto barrel, the buried Bo-Mar sight with a gold outlining the rear notch, applied gold on the front sight serrations. This one doesn’t have a beaver tale as others do and it’s one of the reasons why I think it’s an early one, the single side safety is I believe an unmarked Swenson (before his stamp) it has that unique Pachmayr slide stop, the slide has been tightened, beveled mag well, fine checking on the front triggerguard, distinct trigger guard shape with a high cut out above the checkering, a checkered mainspring housing, it appears slightly dehoned, the classic Combat Special combo of hard chrome lower with a blued upper, old school ‘sans medallion’ Pachmayr grips, gold ‘Pachmayr Combat Special’ script on the slide, and a subtle Pachmayr stamp on the frame. The trigger is crisp with a clean break. And as previously mentioned this one is marked ‘Pachmayr Los Angeles USA PCS 250’ on the inside of the slide (cocking lug). In fact, all of the features above are what we now take for granted in modern 1911’s, but nearly 40 years ago, these pistols really made their mark and defined a milestone in the 1911 history.

This Combat Special actually came out of group of three custom pistols from the same owner, and from the same era; one 6” long slide Clark Sr. 1911, this blue/silver Pachmayr Combat Special, as well as another Pachmayr Signature model with the extended ‘ported barrel (like Ross Seyfried’s world championship pistol), squared Swenson style triggerguard, full checkering, Pachmayr Accurizing device, and full hard chrome top and bottom. Unfortunately this silver one is personalized with the owners name engraved with ‘Custom Built for XXXXX’ on the slide. Many of these long barreled Pachmayrs seem to all have this. I’m considering picking up the Signature as well, as it’s in similar condition to the one I’m showing here and these pistols are getting tough guns to come by and/or even find in good condition. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Interesting video of Bill Wilson talking about his vintage 1911’s including a Combat Special.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
The trigger on that one looks to be Gold Cup width as well, only without the skeleton cut outs . . .

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
Exquisite example.
History/ roots, of the modern "Combat Handgun".

Well done!

Reactions: Longbow

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
That’s a very nice sample. I would love to own a couple old school 1911s and that one is high on the list.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wish there was a "Love" button I could press. Congratulations on your new heater!!!

Reactions: ZoidMeister
1 - 20 of 68 Posts