Pachmayr Combat Special

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by RMF308, Feb 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RMF308

RMF308 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2019
    I was recently very fortunate to come across and be able to purchase a Pachmayer Combat Special that dates from the 70’s. This is early Pachmayr Combat Special that has been really well preserved, and in nearly new original condition; it’s a pretty rare find as most of these pistols were heavily used on the range in their day. Inside of the slide it’s marked ‘Pachmayr Los Angeles USA PCS 250’. I won’t go into the history of these as most of you probably already know about them and what these pistols represent in the history of custom 1911’s. Anyway,...please enjoy as I haven’t seen many pics of these on the forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I've never heard of those guns, but I did a quick search and was very impressed. Thanks for posting, and the attending lesson!

3. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Dayuum man! That’s a nice one :)

4. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    That's sweet, and in excellent shape. Nice catch!

5. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Very nice example!!! Always loved the Pachmayr special!!!

6. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  7. Kaboom

Kaboom Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    That is so beautiful! What a great 1911 and a piece of history too. Congrats !

joerockhead and KS95B40 like this.
  8. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    I always liked the old custom 1911s. Think about it no calling brownells for custom parts. They had to weld and make parts

BR549er, RMF308, gaijin and 2 others like this.
  9. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Combat Master?

Freudian slip...here is a Combat Master!

20190227_172538.jpg

JD31, Whistler and Cop_Out like this.
  10. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Now I want one..........

elpinkgun likes this.
  11. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Nice

Great Lookin Gun !!

12. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Want to hit "Like" more than once for that one.

FWoo45, BR549er and azpoolguy like this.
  13. Barstool Aviator

Barstool Aviator "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    Man what would I give for a Combat Master! Some of the coolest classic 1911's out there.

joerockhead likes this.
  14. RMF308

RMF308 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Some have asked about the components on this Combat Special so here is what I know; it has a well fitted Bar-Sto barrel, the buried Bo-Mar sight with a gold outlining the rear notch, applied gold on the front sight serrations. This one doesn’t have a beaver tale as others do and it’s one of the reasons why I think it’s an early one, the single side safety is I believe an unmarked Swenson (before his stamp) it has that unique Pachmayr slide stop, the slide has been tightened, beveled mag well, fine checking on the front triggerguard, distinct trigger guard shape with a high cut out above the checkering, a checkered mainspring housing, it appears slightly dehoned, the classic Combat Special combo of hard chrome lower with a blued upper, old school ‘sans medallion’ Pachmayr grips, gold ‘Pachmayr Combat Special’ script on the slide, and a subtle Pachmayr stamp on the frame. The trigger is crisp with a clean break. And as previously mentioned this one is marked ‘Pachmayr Los Angeles USA PCS 250’ on the inside of the slide (cocking lug). In fact, all of the features above are what we now take for granted in modern 1911’s, but nearly 40 years ago, these pistols really made their mark and defined a milestone in the 1911 history.

This Combat Special actually came out of group of three custom pistols from the same owner, and from the same era; one 6” long slide Clark Sr. 1911, this blue/silver Pachmayr Combat Special, as well as another Pachmayr Signature model with the extended ‘ported barrel (like Ross Seyfried’s world championship pistol), squared Swenson style triggerguard, full checkering, Pachmayr Accurizing device, and full hard chrome top and bottom. Unfortunately this silver one is personalized with the owners name engraved with ‘Custom Built for XXXXX’ on the slide. Many of these long barreled Pachmayrs seem to all have this. I’m considering picking up the Signature as well, as it’s in similar condition to the one I’m showing here and these pistols are getting tough guns to come by and/or even find in good condition. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Interesting video of Bill Wilson talking about his vintage 1911’s including a Combat Special.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    KS95B40, FWoo45, 1L26 and 5 others like this.
  15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    The trigger on that one looks to be Gold Cup width as well, only without the skeleton cut outs . . .

16. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Exquisite example.
    History/ roots, of the modern "Combat Handgun".

Well done!

Longbow likes this.
  17. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    That’s a very nice sample. I would love to own a couple old school 1911s and that one is high on the list.

18. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Wonderful piece, you have there !! Love it !!

19. 1911_Chad

1911_Chad Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I wish there was a "Love" button I could press. Congratulations on your new heater!!!

ZoidMeister likes this.
  20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Here you go . . .

Like-gattling-gun.gif

1911_Chad, RMF308 and Longbow like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted