Pacific Islands 1911

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by Greg Derr, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict Sponsor

Oct 3, 2011
    A local family found this Colt stashed in the closet of their passed on grand dad and asked me to put is together and check it out. It was all there and required nothing,not that I would alter it anyway. I thought the names of Pacific islands that were etched into the side was cool. I guess the fellow was a US Marine and saw actin in these locations. I told the family not to change a thing. I put a few soft loads through it for a safety test. Kinda cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    The writing on the slide makes it very cool, in my opinion. Dripping with history. :thumb:

Andy

3. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    that's SICK!!!!

4. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Agreed. Very awesome find.

5. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Very cool Greg. What an honor to be able to "put all the pieces together" for the family. Good on you man and thanks for sharing it with us.

6. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    That is a cool piece of history there. I wonder what kind of stories that gun could tell if it could speak!

7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Dang cold chills got me when I was looking at that Colt.
    My Salute to the generation of Men's Men!

8. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I consider that particular gun to be priceless. The etching says it all.

9. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

10. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I'm loving that gun. Darn nice!

11. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'd love to have something like that more than anyone's custom built pistol.

12. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    How cool would it be to hear the stories of the guy that owned that weapon ....
    Man I love stuff like that.....

Very Cool... Thanks for sharing....

13. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Wow, that is very amazing

14. Greg Derr

Greg Derr Custom Pistolsmith Supporting Addict Sponsor

Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  15. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Absolutely amazing! Neve seen anything like that.

16. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    That must be why my old man beat the **** out of me when I was growing up. He served in the Pacific in WWII and Korea as well. I guess he was just a man's man. I must say, it made me a lot tougher than the little whiners growing up these days.

17. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    About a week ago I was on my way out of the bank and saw a little old man sitting near the door. He had on a red ball cap that said, US Marine. We locked eyes and he smiled at me. I offered my hand and thanked him for his service. " Are you thanking me for loosing this?" He slapped his trouser leg with a dull thump, paused and broke out in a chuckle when he saw my awkward expression. " It's buried on Iwo, but I'm still here." Then he went through the battles leading up to Iwo and after each one added, "But I'm still here." The whole time he held on to my hand looking me in the eye with a bright smile. I made it about half way to my car and really had to struggle to maintain composure. We're loosing our living national treasures. When you see one theses old warriors, take a few seconds to tell them thank you. It won't be long before we won't have that honor ever again. Just thought this was a good thread to drop that story. Thank you Greg for sharing this.

18. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Agreed. Very cool.

19. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I got a similar kind of meeting the last time I took my M1 Garand to the range, little old guy standing there just silent so I asked him if he had trained on the M1 during Korea (he didn't quite look WWII age) or Vietnam and he went in to a story about training in '61, then on to the M14, etc

I get a meeting like that everytime I take out that M1 and folks see it sitting in the rack during a ceasefire. Hell, I just about carry it slung over my shoulder up to the check in area so I can get some oooh's and aah's...LOL

20. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks for sharing.

I worked and lived on Roi (now combined with Namur), in the early 90's. There are still bunkers there, old bullets, shrapnel, etc. Still Japanese ships in the lagoon (Kwajalein Atoll).

There was a Marine named Sorenson, who jumped atop of a Japanese grenade that landed among he and several others, on Namur. He saved his buddies and earned the Medal of Honor. Man's man if there ever was one.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted