1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Custom Pistolsmith
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local family found this Colt stashed in the closet of their passed on grand dad and asked me to put is together and check it out. It was all there and required nothing,not that I would alter it anyway. I thought the names of Pacific islands that were etched into the side was cool. I guess the fellow was a US Marine and saw actin in these locations. I told the family not to change a thing. I put a few soft loads through it for a safety test. Kinda cool.

·
Sharpening Ockham's Razor
1,990 Posts
The writing on the slide makes it very cool, in my opinion. Dripping with history. :thumb:

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
That is a cool piece of history there. I wonder what kind of stories that gun could tell if it could speak!

·
Premium Member
26,763 Posts
Dang cold chills got me when I was looking at that Colt.
My Salute to the generation of Men's Men!

·
Eddie Van Halen
6,927 Posts
I consider that particular gun to be priceless. The etching says it all.

·
Bullet Banger
2,202 Posts
I'm loving that gun. Darn nice!

·
Banned
450 Posts
I'd love to have something like that more than anyone's custom built pistol.

·
"BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore !
1,716 Posts
How cool would it be to hear the stories of the guy that owned that weapon ....
Man I love stuff like that.....

Very Cool... Thanks for sharing....

·
Crabby Old Gunsmith
1,248 Posts
That must be why my old man beat the **** out of me when I was growing up. He served in the Pacific in WWII and Korea as well. I guess he was just a man's man. I must say, it made me a lot tougher than the little whiners growing up these days.

Dang cold chills got me when I was looking at that Colt.
My Salute to the generation of Men's Men!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
About a week ago I was on my way out of the bank and saw a little old man sitting near the door. He had on a red ball cap that said, US Marine. We locked eyes and he smiled at me. I offered my hand and thanked him for his service. " Are you thanking me for loosing this?" He slapped his trouser leg with a dull thump, paused and broke out in a chuckle when he saw my awkward expression. " It's buried on Iwo, but I'm still here." Then he went through the battles leading up to Iwo and after each one added, "But I'm still here." The whole time he held on to my hand looking me in the eye with a bright smile. I made it about half way to my car and really had to struggle to maintain composure. We're loosing our living national treasures. When you see one theses old warriors, take a few seconds to tell them thank you. It won't be long before we won't have that honor ever again. Just thought this was a good thread to drop that story. Thank you Greg for sharing this.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Very cool Greg. What an honor to be able to "put all the pieces together" for the family. Good on you man and thanks for sharing it with us.
Agreed. Very cool.

·
Banned
450 Posts
About a week ago I was on my way out of the bank and saw a little old man sitting near the door. He had on a red ball cap that said, US Marine. We locked eyes and he smiled at me. I offered my hand and thanked him for his service. " Are you thanking me for loosing this?" He slapped his trouser leg with a dull thump, paused and broke out in a chuckle when he saw my awkward expression. " It's buried on Iwo, but I'm still here." Then he went through the battles leading up to Iwo and after each one added, "But I'm still here." The whole time he held on to my hand looking me in the eye with a bright smile. I made it about half way to my car and really had to struggle to maintain composure. We're loosing our living national treasures. When you see one theses old warriors, take a few seconds to tell them thank you. It won't be long before we won't have that honor ever again. Just thought this was a good thread to drop that story. Thank you Greg for sharing this.
I got a similar kind of meeting the last time I took my M1 Garand to the range, little old guy standing there just silent so I asked him if he had trained on the M1 during Korea (he didn't quite look WWII age) or Vietnam and he went in to a story about training in '61, then on to the M14, etc

I get a meeting like that everytime I take out that M1 and folks see it sitting in the rack during a ceasefire. Hell, I just about carry it slung over my shoulder up to the check in area so I can get some oooh's and aah's...LOL

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

I worked and lived on Roi (now combined with Namur), in the early 90's. There are still bunkers there, old bullets, shrapnel, etc. Still Japanese ships in the lagoon (Kwajalein Atoll).

There was a Marine named Sorenson, who jumped atop of a Japanese grenade that landed among he and several others, on Namur. He saved his buddies and earned the Medal of Honor. Man's man if there ever was one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts