1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
EDC Springfield Emissary with X300 in a Phlster Floodlight
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so like many of us I was browsing 1911's and I was checking out some of the para's and locally there is a guy selling a double stack black ops 14-45 and I am here wondering where is all the reviews on them! I love the idea of a double stack 1911 and I know para were the first to come up with this idea, and I know about the quality in these have gone down but how much of a head ache would it be to tune up one of these?
Are they reliable?
Do normal 1911 parts fit in them?
If yall could fill me in on some experiences on these, that would be awesome.
Thanks yall!

I attached the pic of the gun that is for sale locally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hey guys, so like many of us I was browsing 1911's and I was checking out some of the para's and locally there is a guy selling a double stack black ops 14-45 and I am here wondering where is all the reviews on them! I love the idea of a double stack 1911 and I know para were the first to come up with this idea, and I know about the quality in these have gone down but how much of a head ache would it be to tune up one of these?
Are they reliable?
Thanks yall!

Trigger is a no, same with the mag catch, but the rest of the parts are all within standard GI specs.

The extractor, if it’s a PXT model, is a two piece design but you should still be able to replace it with solid forged/billet parts.

The MSH is plastic, but I’m not certain that standard MSHs will fit as the wider grips might include wider MSH.

The grip safety, thumb safety and the slide stop pin are all standard.

Lots of MIM parts. My Para PXT 7-45 Night-Tac single stack has the same build quality but mine is among the last made in Canada before Para went to GA through Ft. Lauderdale FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trigger is a no, same with the mag catch, but the rest of the parts are all within standard GI specs.

The extractor, if it’s a PXT model, is a two piece design but you should still be able to replace it with solid forged/billet parts.

The MSH is plastic, but I’m not certain that standard MSHs will fit as the wider grips might include wider MSH.

Lots of MIM parts. My Para PXT 7-45 Night-Tac single stack has the same build quality but mine is among the last made in Canada before Para went to GA through Ft. Lauderdale FL.

Ohhhhh I see, thats bad ass man. All of my Springfield's are Wilson combated out so I was planning on doing the same with this para if everything fits correct! If anything ill get the gun beveled too. I have yet to see a nice tuned up double stack 45 anywhere on the internet so it would a nice empty lane to give a shot! Would you know if the main spring housing is GI standard too?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Ohhhhh I see, thats bad ass man. All of my Springfield's are Wilson combated out so I was planning on doing the same with this para if everything fits correct! If anything ill get the gun beveled too. I have yet to see a nice tuned up double stack 45 anywhere on the internet so it would a nice empty lane to give a shot! Would you know if the main spring housing is GI standard too?
I’m not certain. I’ve never owned a double stack Para. Mine is a single and I based my earlier response on my efforts with that pistol.

If the main spring housing (MSH) is as wide as the grips, which would be expected but not necessarily the case, then it won’t meet GI standard.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've not heard much good about Paras in the past. Plus, getting parts or extra mags will always be an issue.

Honestly, keep an eye out for a nice used STI. The company is still around (now called Staccato) to support them and parts are readily available.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I think if you get a "Made in Canada" PO it should be a pretty good pistol. I was just shooting a P14-45 Limited I bought in 2000 today. At first it had a couple of small problems that PO took care of and it has been running fine since. It is just a range gun so it doesn't get shot much now. I don't own it anymore but the owner and I were at the range today. Shoots great.

edit: add picture

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
Addict
904 Posts
Are they reliable?
Thanks yall!

I have the Springfield version posted in classifieds

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own several paras. Most of them I bought as frames and built them myself. They all run really well. The only one I bought as a whole gun was a P18. It had problems of extracting. It had the PXT extractor and I think the hole it fitted in was drill too long. So we dropped some small drill rod in it to increase the pressure on the extractor and it ran fine. In fact, I shot bowling pins and IPSC for about three years with it. Never missed a beat after that. I have a friend that has the double stack black ops. At first he had something, (can't remember exactly what), I think it was the extractor needed adjusted. Since then it has run fine. I would say get it. You can always put new parts in it.

·
Premium Member
7,079 Posts
My very first .45 ACP was/is a Para P12-45. I have had it for 12+ years. It was my good friends police service gun.
I don't shoot it a lot now as a LW Officer is not my first choice to take to the range. HOWEVER!!! It rides with me in my truck everytime it goes out the garage door.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh mannn I love that, if you dont mind my asking where did you get the mag well?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I think if you get a "Made in Canada" PO it should be a pretty good pistol. I was just shooting a P14-45 Limited I bought in 2000 today. At first it had a couple of small problems that PO took care of and it has been running fine since. It is just a range gun so it doesn't get shot much now. I don't own it anymore but the owner and I were at the range today. Shoots great.
I own several paras. Most of them I bought as frames and built them myself. They all run really well. The only one I bought as a whole gun was a P18. It had problems of extracting. It had the PXT extractor and I think the hole it fitted in was drill too long. So we dropped some small drill rod in it to increase the pressure on the extractor and it ran fine. In fact, I shot bowling pins and IPSC for about three years with it. Never missed a beat after that. I have a friend that has the double stack black ops. At first he had something, (can't remember exactly what), I think it was the extractor needed adjusted. Since then it has run fine. I would say get it. You can always put new parts in it.

nice thanks guys, im going to pick it up tomorrow and start the build!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
So I have made the mistake of buying several Para guns in my past unless it's a SMOKING DEAL. Pass, everyone I've had, I took a bath on and have needed TONS of work to run worth a crap.
Same here…

1 - 20 of 33 Posts