1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the 1911 addiction. I'm trapped inside with bad weather and had some knee work done so I have been able to get a lot of reading in. One item I see repeated is, friends don't let friends PARA. Why does the Para line of 1911's get frowned upon? Sure, I see a few posts here and there with shooters satisfied with theirs but seems like people avoid Para's like the plague and I can't seem to understand why? I'm sure there is a addict here that specifically knows the scoop on these, care to share? Thanks and not looking to start a war on the subject, trying to learn is all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't speak to all but my Para Target Elite has been nearly flawless - only maintenance required (other than cleaning and normal replacement of recoil spring) is that I had to replace the fiber optic rod (not the sight, just the rod) after about a thousand rounds.

Only problems I've had were some fail-to-feed within the first few hundred rounds (break-in) and the rear sight had a screw start to back out. Since break-in I haven't had any FTF or any other problems. BTW, no problems with either the mags they provided or the CMC's I bought, including 10-rounders.

Based upon my experience, the only thing that would keep me from buying another at this time is that Remington is 'absorbing' the line into their pistols and I would be hesitant about getting service on a newly purchased one...even though they claim that it won't be a problem.

FWIW - I'm now at over 3,400 rounds on my Para.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Also posted this in the beginner area, but my experience. With me I bought one of the little Para Carry models years ago when Para was still made in Canada. I got it because I was interested in the LDA trigger system. It might be something metric but the grip is longer than a Detonics but shorter than an Officers model so an Officers length mag will stick out the bottom a bit.

I had lots of problems with it ejecting spent brass. Now I have lots of experience with 1911s. To make a long story short I found a regular Colt mag worked fine. Of course it stuck out the bottom of the gun quite a bit. I went ahead and put the follower from an old war surplus 1911 mag in place of the plastic follower that came in the Para mag. Worked fine.

In those days when you called Para customer service you got French. Press 2 for English. I told my story to a lady who had a heavy French accent. She said, "If you want you can send the magazines in a WE will decide IF there is a problem."

So I keep that in my shooty collection because I want to keep an example of the LDA trigger. It is one of my safe trolls. It stays in the back and I dig it out about once a year or so and take it to the range and shoot it a bit. I call it my Para Never Carry.

Since then I have not bought any other Para handguns. Of course now Para is history.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is interesting looking at the trigger in your picture. Are all para 1911 triggers like this? I knew they were bought out and for awhile CDNN had a sale going on every day for a cheap Para.

·
Re Member
403 Posts
Well, Para has been bought by Remington and dissolved so the only new LGS Paras left are orphans, and many folks aren't interested. I understand that.

I bought a .45ACP Para Executive Carry almost 2 years ago. No failures right out of the box, fun shooting, and very accurate. Makes a great range, HD, and EDC piece. It's one of my most favorite handguns out of the 13 I own. Based on this, I'm a fan. Others may have had a different experience and aren't. Complaints are usually more often heard than praises.

My take.

·
Dremel jockey
5,086 Posts
Let me put it this way,
you will look long and hard to find a GOOD pistolsmith
that will build off a Para host.

Reactions: WWB and Jimhoag

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had both (in stainless) the Para Expert and Remington R1 .45s. Never had an issue with them and found them both to be very smooth and reliable.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a para expert 9. Love the gun. With 500 plus rounds through, not a hickup. It is well made, reliable, easy to disassemble and reassemble. The support staff has been very helpful. Still waiting for a rear adjustable sight. But, other then that, can't complain. Good luck in finding one. The expert 45s are available if you look around. The price is right and the gun is good. I don't care what naysayers say. This is a great gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems like the folks that have them in this thread, really like them. Pistolwretch, you mention it's hard to find a good smith to build off a Para. Any particular reason? Guess that was my initial inquiry too, are the guts of Para's different, sizes not to tolerances, parts not interchange or ? I've seen some great deals pass me by but always had this fear of them that I really have no knowledge of why I should be shunning them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts