1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of different folks making 2011/1911 parts out there. I am interested in having a custom double stack gun built along the lines of an STI DVC-Steel. Yes, I want a comped gun to shoot standard 9mm out of with a frame mounted optic. Who has the best parts? I have a gunsmith who can build this and he is willing to work with whatever parts I want. I don't want a steel grip - would like to keep the gun around 40 - 44 ounces.
And no, I can not afford an SVI.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
For 2011 parts:

For frame and grip I’d use L-10 Machine in California. They are extremely well made and respected. They can produce frames and grips in steel, stainless, aluminum and titanium. https://www.l10-machine.com/

A newer company that is by far the cheapest I’ve seen out there is Black Mountain. Not sure of the quality and very little reviews. https://www.blackmountainfirearms.com/

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
You could always just buy a STI DVC-Steel. It’s going to be hard to match the short overall length of the 1 piece integrated barrel/comp.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
These guys were part of the STI conglomerate at one time and may be a good source for STI replicas.....

http://www.jemguns.com/

And, of course, Bob Londrigan has been a premier builder/supplier of STI products and replicas:

http://www.1911store.com/

Good luck with your build! Sounds awesome!

:thumbs:
JEM has been great to deal with. I had a bunch of questions on building a light weight commander in 9mm. They were very responsive with emails. I ordered my frame Monday.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
And, of course, Bob Londrigan has been a premier builder/supplier of STI products and replicas::thumbs:
Bob is a great builder, I have one of his guns. He is not on the budget conscious side though, his guns are well priced for the build quality but not cheap. He also has one of the best triggers in the business.

His frames are made by someone else to his specs with his name on them.

L-10 on the other hand makes all their components, even the barrels. They have a custom gunsmithing side company called Rouge Tactical. https://www.rogue-tac.com/ I have a custom carry build with them now that is almost complete.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. L10-Machine looks great, but I want a light weight grip. Will an STI polymer grip fit on their frame? I was going to buy either a Czechmate or an STI Steel, but the Czechmate is heavier than I want and I am nervous about STI/Staccato quality. I've seen several reviews and reports that the only factory ammo the DVC Steel runs well is Winchester White Box and if you send your gun back because it won't run on other stuff they shoot a box of Winchester through it and send it back to you. The gunsmith I am considering built my .22 1911 with a Nelson Conversion and it is fantastic! He also builds bullseye guns and 2011 race guns, so he knows what he's doing. May just turn him loose and let him do his thing with my specs. Or just continue to shoot my 1911s and TSO and try to be happy. I just like the idea of a comped gun.
Jeff

Reactions: HOGRIDER

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Not sure if your on the BriamEnos forums or not but a member has a STI Steel Master on sale at a good price.

As far as quality goes STI’s are still very well made. Probably better now than the past few years, nothing bad before just better now.

I haven’t heard anything about a DVC Steel only running WWB. Doesn’t make sense though and it uses a standard recoil spring so you could tune it for your load

Pics of the Enos gun:

1EBF02FD-7AB7-481A-B0A6-821B4AA5FA1F.png
77A3988E-7553-447D-8CCA-417CADFEA46D.png
DBF744A8-32D2-441F-A94C-D17CE866C4A1.png
F2F976AD-E72D-4E45-B59B-B995771C32DE.png

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. How old is a Steel Master? Any known issues? STI’s model nomenclature is mind boggling.
Jeff

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The Steel Master was produced from 2008 through 2016/17. It was with the DVC-Steel, then renamed the DVC-S in 2019 (simplification).

It was/is a good model. It was replaced with a model with a newly designed comp and more modern slide cuts.

If you’re really looking for a DVC-Steel let me know, I have one BNIB in the safe.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Descartian,
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what i'm going to do, if anything. Your offer is very tempting, but I'm still in the thinking about things stage and that usually takes months for me. I should just learn how to shoot the guns I own!
Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anybody bought from black mountain firearms. Are they legit. Can't find any reviews on them. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Anybody bought from black mountain firearms. Are they legit. Can't find any reviews on them. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
Man this thread has risen from the dead!
To answer the question about Black Mtn.
I've ordered a couple of small parts to do a test run.
Every thing came in a few days and the products seem good. FWIW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts