Pat McNamara: Boost Accuracy With Long-Distance Bullseye Drills

Discussion in 'Training' started by Amp Mangum, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Well Well Well------Accuracy Accuracy Accuracy! Like what that guy said. LOL does not matter how fast you are because Spray and Pray will not get you there.

From his Article words to remember LOL. Some of us have been doing this all our lives. Shoot Small...

"I cannot overemphasize the importance of working on accuracy. Shooting bullseye drills allows us to slow down and perform the perfect repetition. It also allows us to be introspective and exercise some constructive criticism."

2. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I preach similar to the guys.
    Anyone can shoot fast, however shooting fast and accurately begins at “accurately”.

While apparently irrelevant now, the 50 yd. Standards in a match was what separated “the men from the boys”.

“Aim small, miss small”

Wake27, B81, Greenrunner and 6 others like this.
  3. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Absolutely--some of us only know the way you described. :)

Greenrunner, boatdoc and gaijin like this.
  4. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Seems like a constant tension nowadays in police training. In the Olden Days I was trained that via tactics and positioning we try to make the potential bad guy make his move some distance away where we have the advantage in shooting accuracy and by shooting from cover, but nowadays it seems like the training is to blunder into the kill zone with no cover into a face to face shootout where the first shot off (usually the bad guy's) and the largest volume of "spray" wins. Illustrates the ancient rule that mankind often retrogresses in knowledge rather than progressing. Or maybe it is just agency-specific, I don't know.

5. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    This picture is hanging behind my chair in my office.

[​IMG]

stlgecko, Sapper, Wake27 and 5 others like this.
  6. Amp Mangum

Amp Mangum Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
  7. RN47

RN47 I'm just here for the gas. Supporting Addict

Feb 22, 2018
    I've signed up for one of his courses at the end of the month. Looking forward to it and I'll render an AAR once complete.

8. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    great article and post.

a big plus is to try shooting one handed..strong and weak side. cause...YA NEVER KNOW

it has been a real challenge for me as my surgically repaired hand is NOT strong and probably will not get much better. very hard to get tight groups close range. harder over 30 feet.

I always like a challenge though

9. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    ^ Me too. Keeps you going.

10. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    boatdoc likes this.
  11. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    This has been on my mind all winter. I do mostly 10yds, and some 15yds when at the range. This year I wanted to devote 90% of my range time to 25yds. You all have made up my mind for me with this discussion!

Amp Mangum likes this.
  12. Sniper 217

Sniper 217 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    You’ll love Mac’s class. I was taught long ago that I was shooting too slow because my groups were too small (I was still finishing the drills before the majority of the class). Basically pick up the pace and your groups will open up. Continue until your groups shrink back down then speed up again. You just continue the cycle.

Jollyroger1 and RN47 like this.
  13. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    We have received different LE training.

14. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    He is a cool dude. I've never taken one of his classes, but I have spoken to him. I also watch his stuff on Panteo.

15. RN47

Feb 22, 2018
    Took the Sentinel course last weekend (30-31 March) with 10 other people. Full spectrum of experience between us-- career military, LEO, fully retired guy in his early 70s, a father and son, investment banker and an anesthesiologist. Perfect weather, excellent instruction, and it definitely wasn't a beat-down / drawn out / grinder training event. Probably 11-12 hours total of training time over two days (start at 0830, finish at 1530 with an hour for lunch). Shoot a couple drills, then interactive white-board classroom sessions huddled around his truck bed.

Everything you see in his YouTube videos is reiterated in the course but with much more explanation, and the Q&A is invaluable. The guy is an extrovert to the tenth power and genuinely enjoys interaction with his students; it's impossible to frustrate him. The purpose (or the why) of every shooting drill was explained, demonstrated, and ran through at least twice. It's very hard not to progress following each iteration as he huddles after each string and explains what he observed, how to correct it, and gives tips on how to control breathing, when to break your shot, etc. I was having magazine problems, so he loaned me four of his own. He shared chow both days with other guys who didn't bring any. He stayed after training on Sunday and made short videos for a few guys who run their own training programs.

Lastly, he had a stable of beautiful 1911s and that's what he shot the entire weekend regardless of the drill. (Although his carry weapon is a G43.)

16. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
  17. Sniper 217

Sniper 217 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    MAC was busting my balls...he’s a good sport. I was the only guy running a 1911 in the class. 0FA35A7C-14AE-4C83-A272-D533ECCE7103.jpeg

18. RN47

Feb 22, 2018
    HOTCHKIS likes this.
  19. JLL2013

JLL2013 Active Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Mac is a genuine good dude. His reputation is well earned and deserved.
    He's a 1911-aholic but self-admitted not a gun guy; he's not dorking out over finishes or minutiae. But he knows what works.

HOTCHKIS likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted