Patridge vs ramped front sight

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Buckhorn, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Buckhorn

Buckhorn Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Any opinions on the patridge vs ramped Dawson front sights? Just wondering if there are any major pros/cons in either direction beyond ramped being easier to deal with in a tight holster. All fibers I have now are patridge front. Thanks!

2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Honestly I didn't know there were two different styles.

From Dawson Precision:
    What is the difference between a ramped and patridge sight?
    A ramped sight will have the face of the sight lay away from you. This ramp makes it easier to draw from a tight holster especially leather ones. Ramped sights can potentially be brighter since light is easily allowed to hit the face of the sight. Most combat style sights will feature a ramped style front. A patridge sight will have the face of the sight sit exactly vertical or lean towards the user. This allows less light to hit the face of the sight naturally blacking it out making it more crisp and defined. These type of sights are especially favored in shooting games were accuracy is needed for longer distances. But they are not as popular for combat/duty/defense applications were tight holsters are the norm.

3. Buckhorn

Buckhorn Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Good info. Considering I was on their site just 20 minutes ago I feel like a bonehead for not seeing that. Thanks!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted