1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shooter Ready.....Stand By!
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am debating on which I would prefer.

The JP GMR-15 uses Glock mags, which I have, but would need to purchase some of the 30+ rounders. But they could be used in my G34 as well.

The Sig MPX uses their own mags, which I would have to buy at least one or 2 additional mags.

A new player has entered the frey...the Nordic NCPCC. This thing has interchangeable magwells to run M&P or Glock mags!

I am leaning towards JP or Nordic. I think they both make quality stuff. However, my teammate uses a Sig MPX and we could interchange parts if we ever had an issue during a competition or just use each others rifles.

$$ is about identical on these. I would need to acquire a red dot and mount for either.

What are your all's thoughts on these 3?

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
Codename Duchess
3,775 Posts
The extra $500 :D:D. For the money, it would be hard to beat the JP.
That would do it! I thought they were closer in price, my bad. :laugh:

Does the buffer tube matter to you? That's the biggest difference, to me, between your choices. If you wanted to build a sweet little collapsing stock SBR then the MPX would make the smallest package.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking for a dedicated PCC rifle. I definitely don't want to mess with the tax stamp and SBR stuff, as that really adds to the $$.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran a Lead Star in a match once. It was alright, not as smooth cycling as the Sig. I haven't messed with a JP yet, but they are known for their smooth & quiet action.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After more extensive research, I now see why the MPX is the right option.

Proprietary mags equate to higher reliability. Many folks on competition forums noted issues at times with Glock mags and the AR platform.

The gas piston setup creates a smoother cycling action compared to the direct impingement/blowback AR setup. Which was commented on several times on the Enos Forum from folks who ran them side by side. Noting that they noticed more red dot bounce during cycling with JP's and the like.

I think I will turn my focus to obtaining a MPX.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
Registered
175 Posts
Interesting on the prop mag = reliability comment. I have not heard that although I can see how that makes sense if they are designed right. My experience with PCC ARs has been mixed. I had a PSA that used uzi mags and was a POS. Now I have a JP and the thing is absolutely flawless. Believe the hype on the build quality of these.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting on the prop mag = reliability comment. I have not heard that although I can see how that makes sense if they are designed right. My experience with PCC ARs has been mixed. I had a PSA that used uzi mags and was a POS. Now I have a JP and the thing is absolutely flawless. Believe the hype on the build quality of these.
I really like JP stuff. I haven't completely ruled them out, but the comp guys are all really high on the MPX.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'd argue that the Kriss Vector was designed around the use of the Glock Mag. The Sig was designed around it's magazine. The AR, on the other hand, was retrofitted to work with the caliber. While you can fiddle with the design, there are certain parameters you are simply locked into.

A buddy and I decided to have a PCC day at the range about a week or so ago. My 9mm AR uses Colt mags, his uses Glock mags. Three out of four of his mags worked reasonably well. One didn't. I believe he said it was a Korean import. The stacking of tolerances between the lower and the magazine simply added up to make the feed geometry more susceptible to nosediving. That's not to say all Glock lowers are unreliable, or that others are more reliable, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with the Sig.

Of course, I also have more dollars then sense, so I bought one of these as my next SBR candidate:

·
Registered
640 Posts
The majority of the 9mm PCCs are blowback not DI.

If you go with the MPX there's still some money you'll have to spend on it. Like having the gas port opened up so that it matches the gen 1 and can run lighter loads reliably.

If you haven't yet, read up on the Enos forums for all your MPX needs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have about 1200 or so rounds through my MPX and really like the gun.

I could not for the life of me get reloads to reliably feed from a Gen 1 mag to a Gen 2 gun. All factory ammo fed fine. Tried short OAL, long OAL, crimp, 115, 124, etc but could never get it right.

Switched to running Gen 2 mags in a Gen 2 gun (as Sig suggests) and all but my very lightest loads cycle reliably. Not the first time I've had to tweak a reload to a particular gun so I don't hold it against the thing.

All in all I'm completely pleased with the gun.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have about 1200 or so rounds through my MPX and really like the gun.

I could not for the life of me get reloads to reliably feed from a Gen 1 mag to a Gen 2 gun. All factory ammo fed fine. Tried short OAL, long OAL, crimp, 115, 124, etc but could never get it right.

Switched to running Gen 2 mags in a Gen 2 gun (as Sig suggests) and all but my very lightest loads cycle reliably. Not the first time I've had to tweak a reload to a particular gun so I don't hold it against the thing.

All in all I'm completely pleased with the gun.
I guess this defeats the argument that the gun is more reliable since it was designed around a specific magazine.

·
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess this defeats the argument that the gun is more reliable since it was designed around a specific magazine.
Not necessarily, Sig suggests that running gen 2 mags in a gen 2 gun and the same with gen 1 will produce the highest reliability.

I was more referring to the fact that folks say they have issues with the plastic glock mags dropping free from the AR lowers at times and I have seen many of these jam in matches.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You can count on lancer to make quality mags.

I've been running their AR mags for years and have never had a mag related failure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts