PDW for Wife- newbie here please help me decide

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Levi Streiter, Aug 5, 2020.

1. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Is she new to guns?

FWoo45 likes this.
  2. 5pt56

5pt56 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2019
    LWRC SMG 45 ACP is my vote. If she doesn't like it you have thousands of guaranteed buyers, myself included. Easy to handle, good suppressor capabilities, mag capacity, etc.

3. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I like it, I just need to stop being like this.

UBOATDOC, gps man and FWoo45 like this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Really depends on her experience level and what she wants to shoot and is comfortable with. I highly encourage you to get her some training with a female trainer, whatever she decides on. I totally understand why you would want a can on a PDW, I also think that for someone new to shooting the added length isn't necessarily a good thing when you're trying to maneuver in tight spaces. Depending on your homes layout, this may or may not be a consideration. Myself included, I think that we can put too much onus onto the idea that a pistol is only to fight your way to a long gun. That is much less true if you aren't proficient with said long gun in tight spaces. As I believe @Uncle Bob recently stated in the dumb thread about training troops with handguns, it is harder for a "bad guy" to fight a novice with a handgun, in confined spaces, than a long gun. The opposite being true when the "good guy" behind the trigger is experienced.

Whatever she decides on, we want pics.

5pt56 likes this.
  5. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Don't change a bit.

Edit to add: my mind went there too, you're just faster on the draw.

HooDoo Man likes this.
  6. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Call me confused, but you said she complained about the length of your silent professional, and your solution is to choose something an inch shorter and a tad lighter, and then adding a suppressor to it because otherwise it will be to loud.

My rule of thumb for a home defense weapon. I want it to punch holes in the threat, ideally several, quickly and with manageable follow up shots. I want it to be an effective manstopper.

If I am ever in a situation where I am on the verge of pulling the trigger to protect my loved ones or myself, the last thing I am going to worry about is how much noise it makes. I don't care if it wakes the whole damned state. There are enough genuine concerns in picking a home defense weapon without worrying about something that has nothing to do with stopping power and ease of use.

If something goes bump in the night, my hand is going straight to the 1911 on the nightstand. If I feel the threat is not immediate(I have more time to respond), then I will grab my Mossberg from the closet, and tuck that 1911 into my waistband.

There are literally dozens of options for personal defense that are superior to a suppressed AR platform. That is not to say the AR does not have it's place, but it would not be the first, or even the second thing I reached for in a typical home invasion scenario.

cgff and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    You know, you might want to take her to a range where you can rent weapons to try. Frankly I'd suggest a pistol especially if it's for inside. Tactically they're easier to maneuver with and if she finds a pistol she likes, she'll be more enthusiastic about it. Besides, carbines punch walls... easier than a lot of pistol calibers.

8. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    We built a fun house and tested a lot of penetration on CA spec house buildings which is far tougher than most of the country.

Then there was Mike Horne indoor challenges with wheelguns and wax bullets. This was done to study tactics for indoors. Heavy pucker factor when you first started, especially if they booby trapped things! Learned to love them and some ended up at Gunsite

livinthelife and FWoo45 like this.
  9. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    That is excellent advice and I plan on doing that. The ranges here have had a big problem getting ammo though, so many of their firearms were not usable.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  10. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Do it as you can, give her time. You'll find women are excellent shooters once they get interested. They focus better! ;)

Scaramouche and FWoo45 like this.
  11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Time for the sweat lodge Buddy ? :happy:

FWoo45 and Scaramouche like this.
  12. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Yes

13. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    I have looked at that a lot... Garand Thumb just gave it a very poor review as far as reliability goes. B&T also makes a nice 45 smg

14. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A 9mm PCC is what I would suggest. You could lessen the cost by providing quality electronic ear protection vs a suppressor. Place close to the weapon, enhanced listening while protecting hearing when shooting.

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    Get her a pistol caliber carbine instead. CX4 Storm would be an ideal choice.

@Levi Streiter Here are a couple videos on it:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  16. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Welcome home !

3AB78FC8-E1A0-4DB8-870B-691DF0E5CAE6.gif

17. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    images.jpeg if she is new to guns, you may consider something like this. I'm setting up one now for me and my son as a trainer/ fun gun/ silenced backpack gun. Its a kel tec cp33....runs 33 round 22lr mags and is extremely reliable. Let me know if you are interested in this and I can provide specifics on rhe set up.

Levi Streiter likes this.
  18. Levi Streiter

Levi Streiter Member

Aug 1, 2020
    I may get that in addition as a training gun- I also saw that POF just released a nice .22 pistol.

19. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Sure that the V Seven is a nice gun, but other than the quite nice trigger, I don't see much to really justify that price-
    • Ultra-light mag catch/release diamond button
    and
    • Ultra-light AR-15 takedown/pivot pins--Grade 5 Titanium trigger/hammer pins .155 Geissele
    etc- I get that it's "light", but still it's a very basic, sightless, braceless pistol....and sometimes a bit of weight is good.

This was mine ,(recently sold), a favorite of my 12 year old daughter.
    [​IMG]

even straight blowback, very easy to shoot, never a hiccup, very quiet suppressed with regular 9mm and silly quiet with subsonics. About $800 all in.

But either way- as others have said, don't assume what will be good for your wife....

FWoo45, gps man and rhsth4 like this.
  20. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I wish @Joni Lynn would chime in, we're still a bunch of guys talking about guns we think a woman would be keen on. One aspect of the nature of these queries is it has struck me that the inquisitor is really looking for validation to buy a gun he wants that he thinks who also be suitable for his meaningful other. I may be, and probably am quite off base here, and mean no offense, but shouldn't there be more direct dialogue and input from the potential user?

We all know that new shooters succeed with simple and safe platforms.

disclaimer: I am in day three of an industrial strength course of medicine and I recognize I should keep my small mind and big mouth shut, but I still think the question should be directed at the person who is going to use the gun.

john_anch_ak, FWoo45, gps man and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted